A Totally Reasonable Playoff Proposal

gchs_uk9

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't had time to really digest this, but I like it on the surface. You have put together a reasonable proposal and put a lot of thought and effort into it. Nice job.

I love the main premise behind this. If we are going to be leaving teams out of the playoffs, why not leave out the least qualified teams, the ones with the lowest ratings. Makes a lot of sense. A debate of whether or not it would punish the small schools more could be held. In this example we are leaving out 29 teams, how many of them are current class A or AA teams? Is that fair? Maybe an argument could be made to leave off the very lowest rated 10 or 12 or 15 teams first, then break down everyone else into 6 classes, then leave off the lowest rated teams in each class until you are left with 32 playoff teams. Would that be much different? Would it be more fair? I don't know I'm just going off the cuff.

At first glance, I have a little bit of concern about the district alignments/proposal. How tough is it to try and keep districts reasonably competitive? If you have a team like Johnson Central, who is geographically on a bit of an island enrollment wise, throwing them into a district with Sheldon Clark and Magoffin Co makes it even that much tougher for those bubble teams to make the playoffs because being forced to schedule Johnson Central will hurt their ratings. It won't help Johnson Central either.

I know this is a cursory example, and JC would likely end up with Ashland, Greenup, et-al if it came to fruition, but that example just stood out to me. There are probably others. That to me would be the biggest obstacle and get the most opposition in your system.

Class 1a sure got a lot tougher in this scenario.. Adding Mayfield, OB Catholic, NCC, Cov Holy Cross & LCA.. 4 of those 5 going on the west side along with Murray..WOW

I assume something would change where private schools are required to move up a class like other states. Mayfield is just, well...

At first glance, I have a little bit of concern about the district alignments/proposal. How tough is it to try and keep districts reasonably competitive? If you have a team like Johnson Central, who is geographically on a bit of an island enrollment wise, throwing them into a district with Sheldon Clark and Magoffin Co makes it even that much tougher for those bubble teams to make the playoffs because being forced to schedule Johnson Central will hurt their ratings. It won't help Johnson Central either.

I know this is a cursory example, and JC would likely end up with Ashland, Greenup, et-al if it came to fruition, but that example just stood out to me. There are probably others. That to me would be the biggest obstacle and get the most opposition in your system.

A valid example and concern. Johnson Central is something of an odd duck and it might make sense to place them with "16th Region" teams in this scenario. I did something similar with the 6th/7th Region teams in Louisville.

By the way, those districts would change with the opening of the new Floyd Central school. I'd probably then have only Belfry, Johnson, Lawrence, and Pike Central in the "big" district.

Edited by gchs_uk9

I love the main premise behind this. If we are going to be leaving teams out of the playoffs, why not leave out the least qualified teams, the ones with the lowest ratings. Makes a lot of sense. A debate of whether or not it would punish the small schools more could be held. In this example we are leaving out 29 teams, how many of them are current class A or AA teams? Is that fair? Maybe an argument could be made to leave off the very lowest rated 10 or 12 or 15 teams first, then break down everyone else into 6 classes, then leave off the lowest rated teams in each class until you are left with 32 playoff teams. Would that be much different? Would it be more fair? I don't know I'm just going off the cuff.

I used Calpreps and it certainly gives higher ratings to larger schools. I think we'd all agree that the 29 teams left out are the 29 worst, but it does punish the small schools over the larger. With that said, those small schools that "missed" the playoffs in this are typically the ones involved in 50-0 first round games. I'd hope the ranking system would give a bit more credence to small schools.

Seeing that the 29 that didn't qualify are spread across many classes, am I right in assuming that we wouldn't know exact class alignments until after the season and those teams are determined and pulled out prior to the playoffs?

Yes. Class alignments would be made known at the end of the regular season once all regular seasons games are played. In an ideal scenario, games on the last Friday end at 10pm, scores must immediately be reported, and the list of who makes/misses the playoffs would be available by midnight. Brackets would then be released at 6am the following morning.