NCAA Removes Tourney Sites From Greensboro Over HB2

AverageJoesGym

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a bad precedent to start in my opinion.

It's not a new precedent. South Carolina and Mississippi have been denied the opportunity to host pre-selected tournament events due to flying the Confederate flag at the state house since around 2003. South Carolina recently stopped flying the flag and can now host again. So the NCAA has waded into political waters like this before.

One final thing. This came from Stewart Mandel of foxsports.com in his weekly mailbag column. Whether you agree or disagree with the decision, his reasoning makes sense:

Of more immediate concern for the NCAA is that when it sends a team to one of its own handpicked postseason sites, it takes some degree of responsibility for their experience there. I can understand why it would feel uncomfortable sending LGBT athletes, coaches or fans of those respective teams to a state that enacted legislation directed against them.

Mailbag: How much Florida State will miss the injured Derwin James | FOX Sports

It's not a new precedent. South Carolina and Mississippi have been denied the opportunity to host pre-selected tournament events due to flying the Confederate flag at the state house since around 2003. South Carolina recently stopped flying the flag and can now host again. So the NCAA has waded into political waters like this before.

However they'll probably accept the colleges' NCAA membership fees and money generated by their conference afiliations with no problem I think.