Running Up the Score

mexitucky

Yes.

To me that falls under what I called "we-could-score-100-if-we-wanted" -- to which I'd not want to demoralize the kids across the field.

That being said, there is always work that needs to be done in the RUN GAME by our twos. If that's even scoring big, it's time for the freshmen. To me, taking a knee on first down is more embarrassing to the other team than scoring on them.

What if the squad on the winning side has the mentality "we don't run, we only pass"? I've seen this happen once.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if the squad on the winning side has the mentality "we don't run, we only pass"? I've seen this happen once.

If you are a 3-4 wide passing team you don't dictate to the defense in the run game you take what the D gives you. At the end of a blowout when the jv is in they are not going to be able to run into a loaded box with any success. "Running their offense" might mean having to throw.

Not running the offense leads to kids not being ready to take over certain positions once it is their time. Lets take a QB who is a freashman sitting behind a senior QB in a spread offense. You want him to just hand the ball off, and not get comfortable with running the "normal" offense? With that train of thought you a shortchanging the freshman by not allowing him to learn the offense in a game situation. Something impossible to duplicate in practice. Realize that next season, or possibly the next game with an injury to the starting QB, this will be the #1 QB. Just allowing him to only be in there for run plays, only leads to punishing this kid. Let him run the offense that he has, and the other trailing team adjust accordingly.

Any good 'mainly passing team' I've seen needs to get very good at THEIR version of the run game -- Quick Screens. A blowout game can give you numerous opportunities to work on catch-snap-and-throw, blocking on the edge, linemen getting downfield, etc.

Disagree. While I feel at the point the game is out of reach it is important to get your 2's and 3's on th e field. It is not my responsibility to help you come away with a moral victory. It is your job to stop my 2's and 3's regardless of the plays I call. To do anything less such as not passing the ball does a diservice to the kids in the game. In the end we only get better when challenged.

What are your thoughts on this scenario.

Team A is playing their 2nd game of the year, and they haven't been tested yet on defense. Team A has a big lead and a running clock in the 3rd quarter. They have already started to sub out, and now have nearly all reserves in the game. Team B still has their 1's in the game and they start to move the ball against Team A 2's. They drive down inside the red zone and end up with a 1st and Goal, at about the 9.

Would it be wrong of Team A to put their 1's in the game on defense just so they can practice their goal line D? It would appear to many that they are doing it only to keep Team B from scoring, but they need to work on the goal line D.

Would your answer change if Team B had their 2's going against Team A 2's?

Team A is playing their 2nd game of the year, and they haven't been tested yet on defense. Team A has a big lead and a running clock in the 3rd quarter. They have already started to sub out, and now have nearly all reserves in the game. Team B still has their 1's in the game and they start to move the ball against Team A 2's. They drive down inside the red zone and end up with a 1st and Goal, at about the 9.

Would it be wrong of Team A to put their 1's in the game on defense just so they can practice their goal line D? It would appear to many that they are doing it only to keep Team B from scoring, but they need to work on the goal line D.

Do you really think working on your goal line defense against a team you have dominated will help you get better? District games don't happen week #2 - if you want to be challenged - schedule better.

I wouldn't do it.

In that scenario, I think the correct move would be to call timeout, if needed, and challenge my 2nd defense to get a stop. I do not like the idea of putting my first defense back out there in a game that has already been decided in a situation in which they have a better-than-average chance to get scored on. I would rather my first defense not be scored upon on a drive that they did not give up. I say challenge the back-ups.