Running Up the Score

mexitucky

Someone please define this for me. To me, you only run up the score IF your #1s stay in the game after the 3rd quarter in a running clock game. If your 2s and 3s put it on my 2s and 3s running their base offense, that is just football. Now fake punt, double reverse pass, or other trickery would be unsportsmanlike for sure. It just seems that people are seeing lots of points and defining it as running up the score. It is the intent, not the final number that defines running up the score, IMO.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has a definition to support their side. Mine is simple, I don't care if you have 7th stringers in, if the final score is 70-0 it's running the score up.

My personal definition of it is if you have a running clock and still up by 34+ pts and in the 4th qtr and you are still passing then it's running the score up. Pretty simple to me.

I disagree. I have seen teams down 40-0 in the second quarter and the clock running and they continue to have their 1s throw the ball ineptly against a the 2s and the 3s of the winning team. That results in many INTs returned for TDs or close to TDs. Also the losing teams often can't snap the ball effectively on a simple punt against the 2s and 3s resulting in a blocked kick or a recovery of a bad snap etc.

In some games the losing team has to look in the mirror and realize all they have to do is run a decent offense against reserves and be able to execute somewhat on special teams and the final of a 40-0 game in the second quarter would be 46-6 or maybe 56-12 and not 70-0.

I am probably in the minority, but running up the score in high school and above doesn't bother me at all except when running trick plays, onside kicks etc. if the 2's and 3's are running offense, fair game. But even running trick plays really wouldn't bother me, I would just think that's kind of stupid.

I personally don't care if anyone runs up

the score.

One of my favorite memories is the Bengals in the 80's against the Oilers when the Oilers ran up the score against the Bengals and then Sam Wyche returned the favor. I Loved it because it makes revenge so much sweeter.

John Hardin beat Warren Central 69-0 a couple weeks ago. They said John Hardin was taking knees with about 6 minutes left in the game. It's hard not to run up the score on some teams. I've been wondering what the Purples will do to our friends at Warren Central next week. It won't be pretty.

I think BG runs one of the classiest organizations in the state. I still think about what they did at the end of the state championship against Cooper. Very classy! Love them Purples.

Conventional wisdom among coaches I think is:

If game is definitely not in doubt, your 1's stay in the game til halftime and then ONE series in 2nd half (no other time really than a gameday to practice having your guys ready to pick things up coming out of a halftime break).

Where coaches differ is what to have your 2's do once they're in the game.

My personal feeling is as long as you have your 1's defense in against my 2's offense, the whole playbook is fair game.

In one of those "it-could-be-100-if-we-wanted-it-to-be" games, the last thing I want to do is demoralize a bunch of kids -- even if part of another team -- and make a football game a source of embarrassment for them.

If game is definitely not in doubt, your 1's stay in the game til halftime and then ONE series in 2nd half (no other time really than a gameday to practice having your guys ready to pick things up coming out of a halftime break).

My personal feeling is as long as you have your 1's defense in against my 2's offense, the whole playbook is fair game.

In one of those "it-could-be-100-if-we-wanted-it-to-be" games, the last thing I want to do is demoralize a bunch of kids -- even if part of another team -- and make a football game a source of embarrassment for them.

Thank you for imparting the wisdom of a coach. This is the best post that I have seen on these airwaves in quite some time. Curious to hear what ChiefSmoke has to offer along with any other coaches out there.

What if the both teams have their 2's in and the team with the big lead continues to successfully throw down the field? Is this running up the score?