Running Up the Score

mexitucky

It is a touchy subject. Myself, I haven't felt my team was wronged by someone successfully running up the score. One time in a JV game, my first year of coaching, we had a team call timeout with a 7 point lead and 3 seconds to go in the game (they had the lead). They tried to throw a double reverse pass to get an extra score but was unsuccessful. The two varsity teams played later in the week and our varsity took care of business.

Earlier this year, we opened the season with a running clock late in the third quarter, on the ensuing kickoff the opposing team returned it for a touchdown, completed the 2-pt conversion, successful onside kick, and a quick touchdown with our some of our back-ups sprinkled in and another 2 point. We finally got the ball back with 8 minutes to go in the 4th. We are a no huddle team, but we huddle in our 5 minute offense. 2nd and 3rd string running backs, all back up receivers, and two back-up lineman. We were able to run the clock inside 3 minutes with 9 guys in the box. Then our backup RB broke a tackle, reversed field and broke 4 more tackles for a 28-yard touchdown. After the game the other coach had some choice words, he told me that we knew we were running up the score.

This subject usually depends on which side of score you are on. I just don't like it when the losing team lines up with 9 guys in the box and tries to tee off on young kids because they know they are going to run the ball.

I think after the running clock happens both coaches should meet at mid-field and discuss their plan of action from there on out.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Refresh my memory, what did BG do @ the end of the game against Cooper in the finals?

I think BG runs one of the classiest organizations in the state. I still think about what they did at the end of the state championship against Cooper. Very classy! Love them Purples.

Incidentally, am fortunate not to have been on the wrong end of this situation but three times in a varsity game, but last year EVERYTHING went wrong for us in the 1st quarter against a pretty good Trinity team. They scored on O, they scored on D, they scored on SpTms. I believe they were even somehow able to score during a timeout! Running clock game very quickly.

T continued to run their offense, which continued to score on our defense. They ran a double-pass for a score in the 3rd quarter.

What was weird to me was that having rarely been in that situation in a varsity game, I was not in the least upset when they kept running their offense and scored. I remember the double pass specifically thinking, that's a play you need to work on against an opponent in case you need it in a tight game later. No better time to find out how your kids will execute something than in a real game.

I do remember being upset ... but at our own effort/execution. Not one bit at Trinity though.

By the way, they could've scored 100 if they wanted but obviously eased up on us in the 4th. Didn't expect that from stories I've heard from others about Beatty, but it was clear he let off the gas. Wouldn't have been upset a bit had they kept going...lord knows we needed the work!

Edited by CoachJ

Per Wikipedia....

In North American sports, "running up the score" occurs when a team continues to play in such a way as to score additional points after the outcome of the game is no longer in question and the team is assured of winning. In the United States, and Canada, it is considered poor sportsmanship to "run up the score" in most circumstances. (Exceptions are listed below.) Sporting alternatives include pulling out most of the team's first string players, or calling plays designed to run out the clock (e.g., in American football, kneeling or running the ball up the middle). The term and the concept is not common elsewhere in the world. Mercy rules are used in many amateur sports, which ends the game when the score reaches a certain point.

Running up the score - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it's pretty simple...if the team is winning in a blowout and they keep their starters in and maybe even are going out of their way to try and score...that's running the score up. This happened to my team a few years ago in basketball, we were way overmatched, coach kept starters in when up way big, pressing trying to get to 100. Then the coach actually had the nerve to come over and say 'we weren't trying to run the score up coach". I just looked at him and smiled...I wanted to punch his face in.

If a team gets a big lead and the 2nd and 3rd guys are in and they are running basic offense and the losing team still can't stop them...then that's on the losing team. I'd rather they score than take a knee and just give the ball back...that's more embarrassing in my opinion.

Running up the score with the 1st string in is absolutely ridiculous. However, when the second string or lower is inserted into the game it is to the benefit for that squad to run the same offense they would normally run. If they too, continue to raise the spread then the team leading should begin simply taking a knee or half hearted runs. EXAMPLE: team A leads by a score of 35 - 0. team A then inserts its #2s and continues to run regular offense the score is now 49 - 0. Team A should begin kneeling and not continue to run normal offense. This allows team A to develop its players for future games, without damaging the team B's psychy. Real time play is extremely hard to duplicate in practice, and these kids deserve the right to develop themselves when the opportunity arises.

I think it's pretty simple...if the team is winning in a blowout and they keep their starters in and maybe even are going out of their way to try and score...that's running the score up. This happened to my team a few years ago in basketball, we were way overmatched, coach kept starters in when up way big, pressing trying to get to 100. Then the coach actually had the nerve to come over and say 'we weren't trying to run the score up coach". I just looked at him and smiled...I wanted to punch his face in.

If a team gets a big lead and the 2nd and 3rd guys are in and they are running basic offense and the losing team still can't stop them...then that's on the losing team. I'd rather they score than take a knee and just give the ball back...that's more embarrassing in my opinion.

This!

Running up the score with the 1st string in is absolutely ridiculous. However, when the second string or lower is inserted into the game it is to the benefit for that squad to run the same offense they would normally run. If they too, continue to raise the spread then the team leading should begin simply taking a knee or half hearted runs. EXAMPLE: team A leads by a score of 35 - 0. team A then inserts its #2s and continues to run regular offense the score is now 49 - 0. Team A should begin kneeling and not continue to run normal offense. This allows team A to develop its players for future games, without damaging the team B's psychy. Real time play is extremely hard to duplicate in practice, and these kids deserve the right to develop themselves when the opportunity arises.

OR put team three in and run normal offense. I would never ask any team I coach to stop playing until it was very late in the game. JMO

Incidentally, am fortunate not to have been on the wrong end of this situation but three times in a varsity game, but last year EVERYTHING went wrong for us in the 1st quarter against a pretty good Trinity team. They scored on O, they scored on D, they scored on SpTms. I believe they were even somehow able to score during a timeout! Running clock game very quickly.

T continued to run their offense, which continued to score on our defense. They ran a double-pass for a score in the 3rd quarter.

What was weird to me was that having rarely been in that situation in a varsity game, I was not in the least upset when they kept running their offense and scored. I remember the double pass specifically thinking, that's a play you need to work on against an opponent in case you need it in a tight game later. No better time to find out how your kids will execute something than in a real game.

I do remember being upset ... but at our own effort/execution. Not one bit at Trinity though.

By the way, they could've scored 100 if they wanted but obviously eased up on us in the 4th. Didn't expect that from stories I've heard from others about Beatty, but it was clear he let off the gas. Wouldn't have been upset a bit had they kept going...lord knows we needed the work!

Great post! Players and coaches know. Fans are the only ones that have issues with "running up the score" perceptions.

I think the running clock adds to the blowout because the clock will run whether you throw or run...so coaches think, why not run the "normal" offense with the 2's or 3's, which usually involves throwing and actually leads to more scoring. In a blowout situation, the victor should not be throwing no matter what your "offense" is.

If it's a regular clock, no coach in his right mind is going to throw the ball and stop the clock and look bad...it would be all runs, and likely less scoring.