Running Up the Score

mexitucky

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has something different. I myself think once you get a running clock put the JV in and let them run the offense and defense to get the

Reps against a varsity offense and defense. Many get mad if the other team doesn't put there JV in but there not suppose too. They got things they need to work on just like anyone else.

If you score and make the decision to go for 2 instead of kicking for 1, I respect that decision, you are getting that running clock and putting them out of their misery early. It is the right thing to do. That is when you start sprinkling in back ups until you have all of your JV in. They deserve to be able to run the game just like the starters so don't get mad if they score too, they work all week too.

What if the both teams have their 2's in and the team with the big lead continues to successfully throw down the field? Is this running up the score?

Yes.

To me that falls under what I called "we-could-score-100-if-we-wanted" -- to which I'd not want to demoralize the kids across the field.

That being said, there is always work that needs to be done in the RUN GAME by our twos. If that's even scoring big, it's time for the freshmen. To me, taking a knee on first down is more embarrassing to the other team than scoring on them.

I agree with mexitucky's opening post and CoachJ.

Here is where I have a problem on the other side of things. The team with the lead puts in the 2's and the losing team keeps their 1's in the rest of the game. The losing team needs to get their 2's in at some point. Let those kids who are working hard every week get some game time.

Further more, if the losing team keeps their 1's in - they have no complaint against anything the leading team does with their 2's.

I'm with those who think it's more intent than scoring margin. I've seen 10 point margins where the score was run up and I've seen 60 point margins where it wasn't. The one thing I never want an opponent to do against my team is to lay down if they have a big lead. Play your scrubs but let them play as hard as they can and run your offense. My team will have to learn how to handle it.

I agree with mexitucky's opening post and CoachJ.

Here is where I have a problem on the other side of things. The team with the lead puts in the 2's and the losing team keeps their 1's in the rest of the game. The losing team needs to get their 2's in at some point. Let those kids who are working hard every week get some game time.

Further more, if the losing team keeps their 1's in - they have no complaint against anything the leading team does with their 2's.

True, unless the losing team is like a Dayton and don't really have any 2's.

John Hardin beat Warren Central 69-0 a couple weeks ago. They said John Hardin was taking knees with about 6 minutes left in the game. It's hard not to run up the score on some teams. I've been wondering what the Purples will do to our friends at Warren Central next week. It won't be pretty.

No way I take knees that early in the game. Put the back ups in and run the ball. If the other team can't stop it, so be it.

In one of Dale's last few games at Highlands versus Cov. Cath. he had a chance to punch in an extra score against Cov. Cath. late in the game - he took a knee instead. Some people like to hold onto events that support their narrative, while ignoring those that don't lend support. The Cov. Cath. broadcast team might be a little guilty of this, but shhhhh ..... don't tell them - the way the color guy carries on is way too amusing. :jump:

I have absolutely no problem with someone running the score up. There's only one time when I have an issue with it: 1. When someone is up by a running clock, the other team has more than conceded, and the team on top is going out and trying to hurt those 2s who are in. I remember seeing it a few times, and it just felt that they were trying to make sure that the team knew they were worse, as if the score didn't tell them that.

I think when the clock starts running is a great time to reward some younger guys with a score if you can. Or guys who you know have put in a lot of hard work and just haven't been able to find the endzone. I think you try and find a way to get those guys a way to get the points.

And I'm going to agree that if someone subs in their 2s with the lead, and the other team doesn't but could, then anything is fair.

This is my all time favorite quote on running up the score, from Mike Leach : The interesting thing about football is that football is the only sport where you quit playing when you get a lead. In golf, you keep trying to score well when you’re ahead. In basketball, they don’t quit shooting when they’re ahead. In hockey, they don’t quit shooting when they’re ahead. In boxing, you don’t quit punching when you’re ahead. But in football, somehow magically, you’re supposed to quit playing when you’re ahead. Well, I don’t subscribe to that. I don’t do it like that. And you know, the truth of the matter is, Nebraska never has either.

At the end of the day, nobody complains about scores when they're winning. And that's all it is.

I remember several years ago Male, led by Bobby Redman, played a very out matched Atherton team who was in Male's district at the time. Redman throughout his career was accused of running up the score whenever he could. The particular game I'm thinking of took place in Redman's later years. He punted on first down every series in the 4th quarter. He took some grief for embarrassing Atherton like that and his reply was you don't want me to score so there...