Calif Univ to establish Black only housing.

jericho

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't lie. I'd probably apply to live in one of those forms if I was going to one of these colleges.

I'm guessing none of you guys have been to Atlanta anytime recently.

My question is this PP92. Did you attend college and lived on the campus and if so, was there a bad experience there that happened that would make you consider to apply for black only dorms if given the choice.

My question is this PP92. Did you attend college and lived on the campus and if so, was there a bad experience there that happened that would make you consider to apply for black only dorms if given the choice.

Yes I attended and loved every minute of college.

I attended a Historical Black College/University for my freshman year. Xavier University of Louisiana in New Orleans. One white person on the whole campus and he played basketball. Go figure. :lol2:

After my freshman year I transferred to UK where I never finished school to get my degree. I chose my roommate at UK and he was a high school classmate of mine. He was black. We stayed in Kirwan III. My two best friends from college to this day stayed next door in Kirwan II and they are both black also. Both dorms were co-Ed dorms and I don't have any experiences at all that I didn't bring on myself that I would call negative. We partied with any and everyone in both dorms whenever possible.

The fact is this though, I spent 90% of my time at UK with those 3 dudes. If given an opportunity to live in one dorm with each other along with all of the other guys we hang out with and the girls we were chasing were one floor up or down from of us then why wouldn't we jump all over that opportunity?

Yes I attended and loved every minute of college.

I attended a Historical Black College/University for my freshman year. Xavier University of Louisiana in New Orleans. One white person on the whole campus and he played basketball. Go figure. :lol2:

After my freshman year I transferred to UK where I never finished school to get my degree. I chose my roommate at UK and he was a high school classmate of mine. He was black. We stayed in Kirwan III. My two best friends from college to this day stayed next door in Kirwan II and they are both black also. Both dorms were co-Ed dorms and I don't have any experiences at all that I didn't bring on myself that I would call negative. We partied with any and everyone in both dorms whenever possible.

The fact is this though, I spent 90% of my time at UK with those 3 dudes. If given an opportunity to live in one dorm with each other along with all of the other guys we hang out with and the girls we were chasing were one floor up or down from of us then why wouldn't we jump all over that opportunity?

The problem is making it a policy. Do you see the slippery slope ? Unless I'm missing something this is going against a large part of what most the protests are about.

How can we move past race if we separate by race.

I get the what you are saying. We should be allowed to live with our friends to have a comfortable setting. But it doesn't mean a whole building needs to be the same race. You and your buddies could stay on the same floor of people you'd never hang with prior.

I'm no fan of Affirmative action in modern America but if this becomes common it really has no meaning.

The problem is making it a policy. Do you see the slippery slope ? Unless I'm missing something this is going against a large part of what most the protests are about.

How can we move past race if we separate by race.

I get the what you are saying. We should be allowed to live with our friends to have a comfortable setting. But it doesn't mean a whole building needs to be the same race. You and your buddies could stay on the same floor of people you'd never hang with prior.

I'm no fan of Affirmative action in modern America but if this becomes common it really has no meaning.

Doesn't matter to me. I'm having difficulty trying to figure out why anyone cares if one dorm on campus is co-ed and all black. Students can choose if they want to live in the dorm or not. When they graduate from college they can choose if they want to live in black neighborhoods or white neighborhoods. They can choose if they want to work for black or white bosses. Much ado about nothing to me. Especially since we are talking about college.

And yes, the protests have absolutely nothing to do with college housing so you are missing that.

Oh, and we're never moving past race. That's a pipe dream. Get in where you fit in and do what makes you happy is how I see it.

Doesn't matter to me. I'm having difficulty trying to figure out why anyone cares if one dorm on campus is co-ed and all black. Students can choose if they want to live in the dorm or not. When they graduate from college they can choose if they want to live in black neighborhoods of white neighborhoods. They can choose if they want to work for black or white bosses. Much ado about nothing to me. Especially since we are talking about college.

And yes, the protests have a slurry nothing to do with college housing so you are missing that.

Oh, and we're never moving past race. That's a pipe dream. Get in where you fit in and do what makes you happy is how I see it.

So your fine with private organizations such as golf courses excluding black people because certain white people only want to golf with other white people they know ?

Why stop at dorms , would you be ok with the entire college only accepting based on race ?

Let's go back to pre-1960 and go to one race high schools. You can't see how this goes against everything you've been preaching on this site for years ?

Your last paragraph literally defeats every word you've said on race on this site. I honestly can't be believe you think that.

I think what most are questioning is the fact that a single race dorm is a thing, in this day and age. If Ole Miss, tomorrow, said they were building a "Whites Only" dorm and ir would cost whites less than non whites were paying to stay in other dorms, I'm pretty sure this would be the lead on every news program, twitter would have blown up and there would already be protest marches in Oxford.

My thinking is that it's the hypocrisy of this that most people are questioning.

I understand what the university is trying to do and I commend them for it, but I think there was a better way to go about it than segregated housing.

So your fine with private organizations such as golf courses excluding black people because certain white people only want to golf with other white people they know ?

Why stop at dorms , would you be ok with the entire college only accepting based on race ?

Let's go back to pre-1960 and go to one race high schools. You can't see how this goes against everything you've been preaching on this site for years ?

Your last paragraph literally defeats every word you've said on race on this site. I honestly can't be believe you think that.

Yes. Why would I care if Augusta accepts me or not? Any black person who is that bothered by it should go build a black only golf course. I love golf and would play on that one.

I went to a Historical Black College/University. One of the biggest mistakes of my life was leaving there and transferring to UK. So, no, I wouldn't have an issue with colleges accepting people based only on race.

It doesn't go against what I have been preaching. I can't recall ever having conversations about separating races. I don't have a problem with it either way. I'll find my happy place either way.

No it doesn't. I've said over and over I'll offer up a black perspective in hopes that things progress. I just don't see things progressing in today's society. I don't expect much progress before I die. It doesn't mean I won't offer up the black perspective when I get the feeling to do so. I just don't expect anything to ever come from it. It's one of the main reasons I never say how I truly feel about things anyways. Waste of time for real.

I think what most are questioning is the fact that a single race dorm is a thing, in this day and age. If Ole Miss, tomorrow, said they were building a "Whites Only" dorm and ir would cost whites less than non whites were paying to stay in other dorms, I'm pretty sure this would be the lead on every news program, twitter would have blown up and there would already be protest marches in Oxford.

My thinking is that it's the hypocrisy of this that most people are questioning.

I understand what the university is trying to do and I commend them for it, but I think there was a better way to go about it than segregated housing.

You're right. We are in the midst of the PC culture at its height. But I wouldn't care if Ole Miss did that. What is the black student population of Ole Miss anyways? Student athletes not included. And not even just Ole Miss. Any college. What is the percentage of blacks on campus that aren't student athletes? I can't imagine that we're talking about thousands of black students on these campuses when you get rid of the black student athletes. You can probably fit all of the blacks in one dorm on most campuses.

I'm still kind of surprised at all this fuss over living arrangements. They'll still be taking classes together with other races. They'll still be eating on campus with other races. They may or may not join sororities or fraternities with other races. They'll be sleeping, showering and using the bathroom in a dorm with their own race.

I just don't see a problem with it. Blacks or whites.

But that's just me and my mindset.

You're right. We are in the midst of the PC culture at its height. But I wouldn't care if Ole Miss did that. What is the black student population of Ole Miss anyways? Student athletes not included. And not even just Ole Miss. Any college. What is the percentage of blacks on campus that aren't student athletes? I can't imagine that we're talking about thousands of black students on these campuses when you get rid of the black student athletes. You can probably fit all of the blacks in one dorm on most campuses.

So tell them they can only live in certain dorms (and pay more to do so) as the rest are for whites only?

I don't think you seriously feel that way.

I'm still kind of surprised at all this fuss over living arrangements. They'll still be taking classes together with other races. They'll still be eating on campus with other races. They may or may not join sororities or fraternities with other races. They'll be sleeping, showering and using the bathroom in a dorm with their own race.

In a perfect world I could agree 100%

Looking at my college experience I'm glad our dorms were NOT segregated.

In a perfect world I could agree 100%

Looking at my college experience I'm glad our dorms were NOT segregated.

Yes. Why would I care if Augusta accepts me or not? Any black person who is that bothered by it should go build a black only golf course. I love golf and would play on that one.

I went to a Historical Black College/University. One of the biggest mistakes of my life was leaving there and transferring to UK. So, no, I wouldn't have an issue with colleges accepting people based only on race.

It doesn't go against what I have been preaching. I can't recall ever having conversations about separating races. I don't have a problem with it either way. I'll find my happy place either way.

No it doesn't. I've said over and over I'll offer up a black perspective in hopes that things progress. I just don't see things progressing in today's society. I don't expect much progress before I die. It doesn't mean I won't offer up the black perspective when I get the feeling to do so. I just don't expect anything to ever come from it. It's one of the main reasons I never say how I truly feel about things anyways. Waste of time for real.

If this is how you feel then so be it. I'm not going to argue you with you. It's just very regressive and opens a Pandora box if it becomes common.