Calif Univ to establish Black only housing.

jericho

So tell them they can only live in certain dorms (and pay more to do so) as the rest are for whites only?

I don't think you seriously feel that way.

I thought they have a choice? Telling them and giving them a choice is two different things.

And yes, as I stated above had this been presented to me when I was at UK I'd have jumped all over it.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought they have a choice? Telling them and giving them a choice is two different things.

And yes, as I stated above had this been presented to me when I was at UK I'd have jumped all over it.

Look at the reverse. A new dorm is being built that will also be cheaper and Whites are told they can't live there and must pay higher housing in other dorms.

Since as you mention (example) all blacks at Ole Miss could fit in one dorm, would it be ok to say all of the other dorms are going to be cheaper and for whites only, leaving blacks just one dorm to live in and also have to pay more for? No, it wouldn't be right to do that...but in essence that's what the school in California is doing in reverse.

Look at the reverse. A new dorm is being built that will also be cheaper and Whites are told they can't live there and must pay higher housing in other dorms.

Since as you mention (example) all blacks at Ole Miss could fit in one dorm, would it be ok to say all of the other dorms are going to be cheaper and for whites only, leaving blacks just one dorm to live in and also have to pay more for? No, it wouldn't be right to do that...but in essence that's what the school in California is doing in reverse.

Don't the whites have an option to go to a school that doesn't do this if they don't like it?

The other huge problem it's a public university I'd be more inclined to buy the argument if it were private.

With everything going on in our country right now with race what makes you feel things are progressing?

Sorry but the answer is to be regressive and give ground to people you oppose who would enjoy that ?

No fight is won by taking the ball and going home. I know my voice probably doesn't matter on the topic because we debate on racial issues a lot.

I do feel a majority of items we agree on, the only area we don't agree on is the approach. As a white guy my opinion doesn't matter on that topic. I get the mindset and reason why.

But I also think the mindset and reason is part of the reason we don't move forward. I normally do talk about being naive and how the utopian society doesn't exist.

But personally I live by the mindset of judging individuals by their actions, character and results. So I strive for that for all and feel most around me feel the same. So that may make me naive. I will admit that. But I also find part of the problem to be on the opposite spectrum because I hate excuses. If there are legitimate forms of racism I'll be there defending anyone but when we blame race for all short comings we are finding an easy scape goat.

Like I said in principle I get your stance. But I also feel it does nothing to move a conversation forward you claimed you wanted to move forward with Kaepernick, it actually does the exact opposite with your stance here.

Sorry but the answer is to be regressive and give ground to people you oppose who would enjoy that ?

No fight is won by taking the ball and going home. I know my voice probably doesn't matter on the topic because we debate on racial issues a lot.

I do feel a majority of items we agree on, the only area we don't agree on is the approach. As a white guy my opinion doesn't matter on that topic. I get the mindset and reason why.

But I also think the mindset and reason is part of the reason we don't move forward. I normally do talk about being naive and how the utopian society doesn't exist.

But personally I live by the mindset of judging individuals by their actions, character and results. So I strive for that for all and feel most around me feel the same. So that may make me naive. I will admit that. But I also find part of the problem to be on the opposite spectrum because I hate excuses. If there are legitimate forms of racism I'll be there defending anyone but when we blame race for all short comings we are finding an easy scape goat.

Like I said in principle I get your stance. But I also feel it does nothing to move a conversation forward you claimed you wanted to move forward with Kaepernick, it actually does the exact opposite with your stance here.

I want to move forward. I just don't think it will happen. Not anytime soon anyways. I do tons everyday in my interactions with the world to move things forward. I still don't see much progress as a whole.

My stance here is that I don't have a problem with the option of having black only dorms. Why? Because I'd have jumped all over it when I was in college. Why? Because I'd have loved to have been even closer to my friends and my girlfriends. You know who won't jump all over that? My oldest son in college and my youngest son who is a junior in high school. Why? Because they want to be closer to their friends and girlfriends. And that's perfectly okay with me as well.

I want to move forward. I just don't think it will happen. Not anytime soon anyways. I do tons everyday in my interactions with the world to move things forward. I still don't see much progress as a whole.

My stance here is that I don't have a problem with the option of having black only dorms. Why? Because I'd have jumped all over it when I was in college. Why? Because I'd have loved to have been even closer to my friends and my girlfriends. You know who won't jump all over that? My oldest son in college and my youngest son who is a junior in high school. Why? Because they want to be closer to their friends and girlfriends. And that's perfectly okay with me as well.

I'd be more fine with having open dorms and letting people choose. I'm not sure I'd be completely fine with it. But much more so , but I'm not ok with a public university defining racial guidelines for said division.

I'd be more fine with having open dorms and letting people choose. I'm not sure I'd be completely fine with it. But much more so , but I'm not ok with a public university defining racial guidelines for said division.

I understand that and I get how it can be an issue for public schools.

I'd love to discuss this in concepts in PM. This point is actually something that goes into politics we can't discuss here I know and I feel is where our points merge.

Hit me up. :thumb: I have plenty of room in my inbox right now and plan to finish Narcos tonight. I'm on episode 6 and will be up all night since I am on midnight shift this month. Hit me up.

Segregation is regressing, don't you think?

I think people are overthinking this whole situation. Just my opinion.

A large majority of people choose to be segregated in everyday life. I don't see the big deal about it if people are making that choice on their own. Nobody is forcing segregation. They are giving people an option.

Like I mentioned earlier I don't guess many of you have been to Atlanta recently. That whole city is segregated and no one is complaining about that.

Is this type housing legal? Since they are doing it I guess it is legal but I thought it would be consider discrimination under fair housing. What is the difference here that makes this legal. Can whites or other races do the same?

In some ways whites already do. A lot of fraternity and sorority houses are on campuses. The members of those fraternities and sororities choose who can be a part of their organization and move into their house and can deny anyone for any reason. A lot of those fraternities and sororities are all black or all white.

I don't see much of a difference.