Calif Univ to establish Black only housing.

jericho

In some ways whites already do. A lot of fraternity and sorority houses are on campuses. The members of those fraternities and sororities choose who can be a part of their organization and move into their house and can deny anyone for any reason. A lot of those fraternities and sororities are all black or all white.

I don't see much of a difference.

I've never seen an intentional "white only" fraternity or sorority.

If people chose not to live in the housing that is one thing, but if UCal is telling me I am not allowed to live in a certain housing building because I am not black, that is very clearly state sponsored segregation and race based discrimination.

*By intentional, I mean that specifically only white people are allowed*

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen an intentional "white only" fraternity or sorority.

If people chose not to live in the housing that is one thing, but if UCal is telling me I am not allowed to live in a certain housing building because I am not black, that is very clearly state sponsored segregation and race based discrimination.

*By intentional, I mean that specifically only white people are allowed*

Maybe a white person will try to apply to live in the dorm and then we can see what happens.

I have seen multiple white only and black only fraternities and sororities. I don't need them to broadcast it to let me know if it is intentional or not. It's pretty clear.

Maybe a white person will try to apply to live in the dorm and then we can see what happens.

I have seen multiple white only and black only fraternities and sororities. I don't need them to broadcast it to let me know if it is intentional or not. It's pretty clear.

Even so, intentional or not, you aren't paying taxes to build and maintain those white fraternities or sororities. They aren't public property.

How, as a public university that receives tax payers money and federal funding, tell a white person that they aren't allowed to live in a certain housing building simply based on the color of their skin.

Even so, intentional or not, you aren't paying taxes to build and maintain those white fraternities or sororities. They aren't public property.

How, as a public university that receives tax payers money and federal funding, tell a white person that they aren't allowed to live in a certain housing building simply based on the color of their skin.

Have they told a white person they can't move in there yet?

Has a white person tried to move in yet and been denied?

How did segregation end anyways? Didn't blacks demand equal treatment and force themselves to be integrated? Why wouldn't whites that upset about it just follow that example?

Why would whites want to live in a black only dorm anyways?

How did segregation end anyways? Didn't blacks demand equal treatment and force themselves to be integrated? Why wouldn't whites that upset about it just follow that example?

IDK...why did blacks want to learn in white only schools?

First two questions that I think you know the answer too: Correct, we wont know until it happens. But it is pretty clear what will happen when a white person tries to move into a "black only" dorm.

Third question: Segregation ended as a result of white people and black people working together.

Fourth question(which is pretty silly): Shouldn't white people be allowed the same housing arrangements as black people? Why does there have to be a "black only" dorm? Where is the demand for equality that the black community always cries about? Diversity? Inclusion? Do those not mean anything anymore?

Maybe a white person would want to live with black person because they don't judge people based on the color of their skin?

I wonder what MLKjr would think about this?

I was unaware there were "white only" schools? Or is that just another perception that you believe is a fact?

Speculation on my part but I didn't bring up white only schools. A white person did so I assumed there must be white only schools. I'd be shocked if there wasn't quite a few white only colleges/universities in our country. Private or public. Intentional or unintentional.

Speculation on my part but I didn't bring up white only schools. A white person did so I assumed there must be white only schools. I'd be shocked if there wasn't quite a few white only colleges/universities in our country. Private or public. Intentional or unintentional.

I believe LA used past tense, meaning back during the days when segregation was legal. I would be hard pressed to believe that there are mandated "white only" schools today.

First two questions that I think you know the answer too: Correct, we wont know until it happens. But it is pretty clear what will happen when a white person tries to move into a "black only" dorm.

Third question: Segregation ended as a result of white people and black people working together.

Fourth question(which is pretty silly): Shouldn't white people be allowed the same housing arrangements as black people? Why does there have to be a "black only" dorm? Where is the demand for equality that the black community always cries about? Diversity? Inclusion? Do those not mean anything anymore?

Maybe a white person would want to live with black person because they don't judge people based on the color of their skin?

I wonder what MLKjr would think about this?

What would happen if a white person moved into a black only dorm? Is this another perception that you believe as fact?

Black and white people seem to be struggling to work together right now.

Maybe, and I hope they apply to move into the black only dorm so we can see what happens. If I was white I doubt moving into the black dorm would be something I would want to do.

Too bad he's dead. We'll never know so his thoughts on how things are now don't matter in the slightest.

What would happen if a white person moved into a black only dorm? Is this another perception that you believe as fact?

Black and white people seem to be struggling to work together right now.

Maybe, and I hope they apply to move into the black only dorm so we can see what happens. If I was white I doubt moving into the black dorm would be something I would want to do.

Too bad he's dead. We'll never know so his thoughts on how things are now don't matter in the slightest.

And you think moves like this, creating a "blacks only" dorm is going to help? :banghead:

The plaintiffs in Brown v. Board of Education were just looking for a shorter walk to school I guess.

I believe LA used past tense, meaning back during the days when segregation was legal. I would be hard pressed to believe that there are mandated "white only" schools today.

Gotcha.

I'm still confused as to how mandated segregation in the 1900s has to do with voluntary separation of 2000s.

Do I really need to explain why integration was important then?