Pat Summit Has Died (6/28)

SportsGuy41017

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool stat from Twitter/ESPN:

Every player that finished their eligibility at UT under Pat Summitt graduated. All of them. In 38 years.

This, along with the Elite 8 stat, is remarkable.

I hope HBO will rebroadcast their documentary A Cinderella Season:The Lady Vols Fight Back which followed Summitt and the Lady Vols during the 96-97 season.

Very sad and devastating loss. The news of her condition worsening just seemed to come out of nowhere, even though knew things were bad, hadn't heard much since she was diagnosed. She was and always will be Rocky Top Tennessee. Huge loss for Women's College Basketball.

Thanks for sharing this article. Pat was definitely the real deal, on & off the court. I loved this insightful part of this article.

I'm not talking about the game. I’m talking about life. But it’s life that the game is all about. Just as I said, every game is life, and life is a game. A serious one. Dead serious. But here’s what you do with serious things. You do your best. You take what comes.

You take what comes and you run with it.

Winning is fun . . . Sure.

But winning is not the point.

Wanting to win is the point.

Not giving up is the point.

Never letting up is the point.

I would love to hear from more female's perspective on this one. Especially in the 30-50 year old age range. Many young women grew up wanting to play for Pat Summitt as she was idolized by many females regardless of the sport. My wife grew up in Clarksville, TN, and she has talked on many occasions how she wish she could have played for Pat and her friends were in the same boat.

I read this morning that when she first got the job she made $250/month for coaching. It was a subsidy to her teaching job.

I think she was hired as a grad asst and the HC took a sabbatical before the season even started and she inherited the job.

Remarkable that she could have been at Kentucky, if someone could have paid her moving expenses back in the 70's :no:

Cool story I heard yesterday about the first time she coached in Rupp, when Mickie DeMoss was at UK. Growing up she had always been a Kentucky Basketball Fan. In her first game Coached at Rupp Arena (remember the women before DeMoss rarely if ever played at Rupp), she came out wearing a Brown Suit...her way of honoring Coach Rupp.

Dang.

We often have threads about who is on the Mount Rushmore of coaches. Grossly unfair that we often omit her name from consideration. She was as large of a pioneer as you will find and a true inspiration, especially to young girls.

Wooden and Summitt were my two favorites- 1A and 1B. Just the best !