Billy Hamilton

I don't follow spring training but I thought I read that there is a young outfielder who did very well in AZ and he was mentioned as a replacement for Billy. Who is it?

Peraza sounds familiar.

I'm sure it's Jose Peraza. He is the 2nd base prospect the Reds got from the Dodgers this offseason. He can also play CF, and played there briefly while Hamilton was out with an injury.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How often do teams bat the pitcher in the 8th spot? Reds have done it all year. I guess it makes sense in the off chance that BH actually gets on base.

Be careful, I mentioned this in the Reds thread last night and a few people took offense to it. For $570,000 you have better be able to get on base, drive in runs or your stay in the Bigs will be short lived no matter how good you arm is or how fast you are.

Be careful, I mentioned this in the Reds thread last night and a few people took offense to it. For $570,000 you have better be able to get on base, drive in runs or your stay in the Bigs will be short lived no matter how good you arm is or how fast you are.

With regard to Hamilton, I agree that he needs to improve in many areas if he intends to stick around on a ML roster. With that said, using Hamilton's salary as a measuring stick is not a very compelling argument considering the minimum salary is $490,000.

With regard to Hamilton, I agree that he needs to improve in many areas if he intends to stick around on a ML roster. With that said, using Hamilton's salary as a measuring stick is not a very compelling argument considering the minimum salary is $490,000.

Cincinnati Reds Multi-Year Salary Payroll | Spotrac

Valid point, but 21 Reds are being paid less. Looks like he is up for Arbitration next year.

I would think with his speed he would always have a job as a pinch runner or late defensive replacement at the league minimum. I still wish for more.

My thoughts exactly.

I kept hoping that he'd eventually learn like Dee Gordon seemed to do, but it just doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

...and Suarez is the only one making less than Hamilton that is a regular contributor (with the exception of pitchers & possible exception of Duvall, whose role remains TBD).

....and the Reds will finish with what record this year? I don't think Hamilton would start on many teams and only those with the payroll of the Yankees would have the luxery of keeping him around as a pinch runner or utility player.

But we are in Cincy and I love to see him when he actually gets on base. Very exciting player.

....and the Reds will finish with what record this year? I don't think Hamilton would start on many teams and only those with the payroll of the Yankees would have the luxery of keeping him around as a pinch runner or utility player.

But we are in Cincy and I love to see him when he actually gets on base. Very exciting player.

There are lots of teams that would keep him around as a 5th outfielder--even if he were making 4 times his current salary.

At this point though I think he's on his last chance to be am every day player.

There are lots of teams that would keep him around as a 5th outfielder--even if he were making 4 times his current salary.

At this point though I think he's on his last chance to be am every day player.

For sure and this is a perfect situation to find out. They aren't going anywhere this year. Give him 600 at bats and he gets more one chance to try and prove he's an everyday player.

Even with lack of hitting he's still more valuable than a replacement player last year. He probably ends up a 4th or 5th OF.

You have a really poor understanding of the economics of baseball. Even as a bench OF, he's making pennies on the dollar...