Billy Hamilton

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How often do teams bat the pitcher in the 8th spot? Reds have done it all year. I guess it makes sense in the off chance that BH actually gets on base.

Since 2008 it's been happening more often, and as was mentioned, Maddon did it in over half the games last season. The idea is to have a better hitter in that spot ahead of the top of your lineup which maybe creates more base runners ahead of your 1 and 2 guys, especially with a lot of teams placing their best hitter in the two spot. Hamilton is the perfect guy for that strategy.

Way to soon to start thinking about giving up on Hamilton. Still only 25, a plus defender and game changing speed. With the decline of power and batting average across the league, and the renewed emphasis on defense, there are plenty of teams that don't have a weak spot or two in the lineup. His speed and defense are still major assets and he'll have a job somewhere as long as he can hit a little.

You have a really poor understanding of the economics of baseball. Even as a bench OF, he's making pennies on the dollar...

I get the economics, my point being is that the Reds won't be able to contend with a starter that bats as poorly as he does. He needs to be a sub and the Reds will never be able to afford the luxury of a pinch runner that only hits his weight.

For sure and this is a perfect situation to find out. They aren't going anywhere this year. Give him 600 at bats and he gets more one chance to try and prove he's an everyday player.

Even with lack of hitting he's still more valuable than a replacement player last year. He probably ends up a 4th or 5th OF.

They aren't going to contend next year either. If he really wanted to go back to all right handed hitting I would give him a full season next year all RH and see what happens before deciding he's a 5th out fielder.

They aren't going to contend next year either. If he really wanted to go back to all right handed hitting I would give him a full season next year all RH and see what happens before deciding he's a 5th out fielder.

Agreed, but that obviously isn't happening. They decided against that in the off season. The OBP is nearly identical from either side.

• 3 weeks later...
He's hitting .220 and OBP is .281 which is actually higher than last year. Re-read all the other posts in this thread for reference to your question.

BA is 6 points lower than last year and 30 points lower than the year before.

OBP is 7 points higher than last year and 11 points lower than the year before.

Thru 21 games he has 5 SB. His rookie year he had 13 in 13 games. I think that was part of the reason for the hype around him was his speed. First full year he stole 56 but was caught 23. Last year stole 57 but only got caught 8 times. He has to get on base in order to steal them. In addition of his amazing 13 hits thru 21 games (66 PA) he already has 5 doubles and a homer which curtails the stolen bases. Only had 8 doubles all of last year (114 games- 454 PA)

BA is 6 points lower than last year and 30 points lower than the year before.

OBP is 7 points higher than last year and 11 points lower than the year before.

Thru 21 games he has 5 SB. His rookie year he had 13 in 13 games. I think that was part of the reason for the hype around him was his speed. First full year he stole 56 but was caught 23. Last year stole 57 but only got caught 8 times. He has to get on base in order to steal them. In addition of his amazing 13 hits thru 21 games (66 PA) he already has 5 doubles and a homer which curtails the stolen bases. Only had 8 doubles all of last year (114 games- 454 PA)

He's playing gold gloves defense like normal. Obviously we all want him to hit better, but even at his current hitting rate he's an above average replacement level player with that all factored in.

He's playing gold gloves defense like normal. Obviously we all want him to hit better, but even at his current hitting rate he's an above average replacement level player with that all factored in.

I'm with you 100%

Love to watch him, D is pretty good. Just wish the Reds had a better leadoff hitter versus a guy that is an above average replacement player.

I'm with you 100%

Love to watch him, D is pretty good. Just wish the Reds had a better leadoff hitter versus a guy that is an above average replacement player.

How many times has he led off? I know he has batted 9th in many games.

How many times has he led off? I know he has batted 9th in many games.

Hardly ever. I still say it is pretty embarrassing when you bat behind a pitcher.

Once had a coach tell me, you are leading off. If you get on base only once a game, make sure it is in your first at bat. It puts pressure on the other team if you can get ahead.

Hamilton is one of those at this point you have to look at who his replacement would be. Right now his replacement would be a guy who hit a great double in extra innings yesterday, to turn around and get picked off between the bases.

If I recall correctly, his 13 steals in 13 games was when he was a late inning pinch runner to create chaos. At a minimum, he would be a valuable pinch runner / defensive replacement on a team with an abundance of talent and the luxury of such a specialized player.

I have not yet given up on him, but agree with most that this year is "do or die" to determine if he is an everyday player.