How about that Super Bowl halftime show?

theguru

It's OH SO MACHO (or sophomoric depending on how you look at it) to yearly hate on the SB Half Time Show because that RUBBISH is for all of the football amateurs, and WE'RE HERE FOR THE GAME MAN, and NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!!!

How dare the general public yearly intrude on what we've followed intently for an entire season.

Anything other than the TOUGH BRAIN CONCUSSION INDUCING GAME is for wimps, and instead of just digging the show for what it is, it gives us REAL MEN the chance to STAND UP AND STAKE OUR CLAIM and show what TOUGH REAL MEN that we are.

How dare they spend the the break in the game entertaining the masses with an extravaganza of dance and music with a message of world peace and love.

Sure there's millions upon millions watching and a great opportunity to send such a message, but were here ONLY to watch REAL MEN KICK BUTT, and all that other uplifting positive sissy crap is for queers.

Give me my CASE OF BEER and the SPICIEST WINGS AND CHILI ON EARTH, and THE GAME, and I'll show you how REAL MEN appreciate the SUPER BOWL!!!

The message is great. Too bad the music sucked.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay hate is like a perpetual motion machine at this point. It keeps feeding itself and I don't remember how it started. I have no great love of Coldplay, but I feel like people have this Pavlovian reaction to seeing them in which the HAVE TO say how terrible Coldplay is.

Everyone hates Coldplay yet everyone knew they started with 10 seconds on Yellow before moving to Viva La Vida. Someone is listening to these songs. It's a little overplayed. I'm not a Coldplay fan boy or anything, but some of their stuff is OK.

Everyone hates Coldplay yet everyone knew they started with 10 seconds on Yellow before moving to Viva La Vida. Someone is listening to these songs. It's a little overplayed. I'm not a Coldplay fan boy or anything, but some of their stuff is OK.

I had no clue what their first song was.

I get Coldplay has a big following, and while I think they generally suck, I understand they've got some talent or they wouldn't be what they are today. Super Bowl halftime show is not the right venue for them IMO.

I had no clue what their first song was.

I get Coldplay has a big following, and while I think they generally suck, I understand they've got some talent or they wouldn't be what they are today. Super Bowl halftime show is not the right venue for them IMO.

I watched all the stuff on NFLNetwork all week leading up to the game and they had a piece on Coldplay dude going to the school that they invited to play background for them and it was really a neat meeting and the kids themselves made me want to watch.

I'm not a fan of Coldplay either but I knew the song they sang, didn't realize they started with another song though. Some songs people are just going to know whether they like the musician or not. I don't listen to pop music at all, but I know several songs over the years simply because you hear them all the time when you go out, etc.

Coldplay has well established themselves as fine musical ambassadors to the world, and have crafted some rousing uplifting, goose bumpy, and anthematic numbers throughout their career, and are seasoned artists that have tons of experience at playing to, and exciting large crowds.

Chris Martin is a decent vocalist, and a likable, even tempered, non-radical guy that knows how to behave himself with class, and this along with them consistently producing big selling albums has garnered the band millions of fans worldwide, making them a household name.

Like them or not, whenever an artist, or a band deservedly draws this much attention, you'll undoubtedly also hear from the haters, and in the case of Coldplay I suppose that their emotional uplifting brand of music is not manly enough for all of the serious rock n' rollers who require more all balls outness in their jams. To them it is somehow a bit too fluffy, and it would be emasculating if by chance they'd ever admit to liking a tune here and there.

Oh my, what would their buds think?

This reminds me of the days when Disco became popular, and while almost no one could resist to at least tap their foot to it, it became all too polarizing in a Rock against Disco kind of way that for those who were way too cool for it, it became a tough guy buzz thing to say that "Disco Sucks".

Certainly everyone has their taste in music, and there's no steadfast rule that everyone has to like Coldplay, but considering that it's become so trendy to be a Coldplay hater, this speaks volumes of how successful they are, and that they must be doing something right. They've certainly got your attention enough to hate them. There are tons of bands out there that you can love or hate, but how original are those who jump on the "Coldplay Sucks" bandwagon as a way to ensure to everyone else what a real man they are?

It's neither original, nor is it convincing.

Coldplay has well established themselves as fine musical ambassadors to the world, and have crafted some rousing uplifting, goose bumpy, and anthematic numbers throughout their career, and are seasoned artists that have tons of experience at playing to, and exciting large crowds.

Chris Martin is a decent vocalist, and a likable, even tempered, non-radical guy that knows how to behave himself with class, and this along with them consistently producing big selling albums has garnered the band millions of fans worldwide, making them a household name.

Like them or not, whenever an artist, or a band deservedly draws this much attention, you'll undoubtedly also hear from the haters, and in the case of Coldplay I suppose that their emotional uplifting brand of music is not manly enough for all of the serious rock n' rollers who require more all balls outness in their jams. To them it is somehow a bit too fluffy, and it would be emasculating if by chance they'd ever admit to liking a tune here and there.

Oh my, what would their buds think?

This reminds me of the days when Disco became popular, and while almost no one could resist to at least tap their foot to it, it became all too polarizing in a Rock against Disco kind of way that for those who were way too cool for it, it became a tough guy buzz thing to say that "Disco Sucks".

Certainly everyone has their taste in music, and there's no steadfast rule that everyone has to like Coldplay, but considering that it's become so trendy to be a Coldplay hater, this speaks volumes of how successful they are, and that they must be doing something right. They've certainly got your attention enough to hate them. There are tons of bands out there that you can love or hate, but how original are those who jump on the "Coldplay Sucks" bandwagon as a way to ensure to everyone else what a real man they are?

It's neither original, nor is it convincing.

To claim that the reason people don't like Coldplay is because it's not macho enough is one of the more ignorant things I've ever read on here and that's saying something.

So perhaps in your next post you'll make an attempt at making sense?

To claim that the reason people don't like Coldplay is because it's not macho enough is one of the more ignorant things I've ever read on here and that's saying something.

Here, I don't have to...someone did that for me.

Now I must go iron the pleats in my kilt....

Stop being so bitter, it's unbecoming of your beautiful smile...

Watched the first 10-15 seconds to see if I won my prop bet. I didn't, so I switched channels then. That being said, I'm not really a fan of Beyonce parading around a hate group/ hate group look-a-likes during the halftime show. Mainly because she has a large, impressionable, and generally dimwitted following who will somehow likely turn the black panthers into iconic figures. This might just be me, but the super bowl half time show is a time to celebrate the culmination of the NFL season, not to push your political agenda. Do that on your own time when you not getting paid to perform.

Here's a copy & paste from the Super Bowl update thread:

Originally Posted by rockmom

@Randy Parker and I LOVED the halftime show!

Then Jim Schue said...

"We get that you have poor judgement when it comes to wimpy British bands".

It's a guy thing to say that Coldplay sucks. How often do you hear woman say it?

Then Jim Schue said...

It's a guy thing to say that Coldplay sucks. How often do you hear woman say it?

Heard it numerous times during that awful performance. Has nothing to do with them being "macho" or not. Has everything to do with them just not being good to a lot of people.

Watched the first 10-15 seconds to see if I won my prop bet. I didn't, so I switched channels then. That being said, I'm not really a fan of Beyonce parading around a hate group/ hate group look-a-likes during the halftime show. Mainly because she has a large, impressionable, and generally dimwitted following who will somehow likely turn the black panthers into iconic figures. This might just be me, but the super bowl half time show is a time to celebrate the culmination of the NFL season, not to push your political agenda. Do that on your own time when you not getting paid to perform.

Preach...

Then Jim Schue said...

How many music posts have you read on here where @Jim Schue had something nice to say? lol

I heard it more from the women at our Super Bowl party, but that's cause all of the guys were in the corner, ripping our shirts off, pounding our chests, having a keg race and eating beef jerky.

Then Jim Schue said...

To be entirely fair, I was having a joke at Randy Parker's and Rockmom's expense. I like plenty of British bands that others might consider "wimpy."

My biggest beef with Coldplay is that they are just bland. Nothing about them wows me. I liked "Yellow," but I felt like they didn't do a whole lot to grow as an act after that. Kind the same reasons why I loathe Dave Matthews Band. He, and Coldplay, sound like cover acts of themselves.