Technology Impact In 20 Years on Unemployment

Clyde

I'm 55 and in the technology field. As long as I make a reasonable effort to keep up with the latest technology, we will be needed to create the next wave of new technology. As said, it is all about adapting. Like those who used to build carburetors...if you didn't learn about fuel injection, you'd better try something else in life. I feel bad for those who refuse to change, but instead hold on to that which is going obsolete.

This was seen when trains went from steam to diesel engines. Those that felt it wasn't their job to adapt to the diesel technology found keeping a job pretty difficult. Those those took advantage of training to repair diesel saw demand for skilled diesel mechanics push their wages comparable to the college educated boys in the office and even the engineers. Eventually high wages attracted more and more to the field to level off the wages but those who adapted first stayed ahead till retirement.

Technology in terms of computers and automation have been happening for a long time.

Also being in the techniology area the most radical change that occurred the last 10 years and will likely continue to create domestic economic disruption is the unlimited world-wide bandwidth of data and voice that has made almost all business white collar functions movable to anywhere on the globe.

Its not just India that has come 'online'. Its Eastern Europe, its Malaysia, its even Vietnam and other ultra-low cost places.

The 'office worker' is the endangered species in the US. And technology and automation that impacts the actual tasks is only part of the reason. Technology that allows super-cheap labor to come into the market is the other part. Thomas Friedman's "The World is Flat" is recommended.

Adapting in the automotive feild to work on the next type of induction or transmission is one thing. You can't adapt to being replaced by a machine!!!!!! That is where technology has hurt us. And I look at my cellphone bill, my cable bill, and my internet bill and see that I'm spending almost 400 a month for us to have this stuff! But I cannot bill out some of my work without sending it E-mail. I have to have the phone because people insist on being able to get ahold of you anytime! The cable is up in the air....

Edited by #99
Misspelled word

This was seen when trains went from steam to diesel engines. Those that felt it wasn't their job to adapt to the diesel technology found keeping a job pretty difficult. Those those took advantage of training to repair diesel saw demand for skilled diesel mechanics push their wages comparable to the college educated boys in the office and even the engineers. Eventually high wages attracted more and more to the field to level off the wages but those who adapted first stayed ahead till retirement.

Well said Doc Z

As pointed out in the interview, it's the millennials driving this. They don't want to be bothered with ownership. That requires responsibility and few millennials want that, either. His description of why Uber worked in LA, when everybody thought it would fail there, is a perfect example of that attitude.

Think about it. Automated driving, as Jason describes it, is practically mass transit. Your car will conform to the speed limits and laws of the road. Same as a bus.

Same as computers. Main frames were accessed by work stations across phone lines. Then everybody had their own PC and stored their data locally. Now everything goes to the cloud and the computer giants are promoting remote desktops.

We're coming full circle.

Thanks, Clyde for posting this. I'm going to get a 3rd and 4th mortgage on my house and live it up. :D