UK basketball at Rupp Arena (Storming Court) last time???

jericho

I don't think UK fans have ever rushed the court in Rupp Arena. If they did, I never heard of it nor remember it.

According to KSR, using the wayback machine, UK did rush the court at Memorial after a Senior Day victory over Tennessee in 1973.

uk-rush-600x450.jpg

Thanks to Oscar Combs’ memory and some heavy digging by @KaptialCat in the wayback machine, we now know that Kentucky fans rushed the court following a Senior Day win over Tennessee in 1973. It was an 86-81 victory for the Cats in the final game of the 1972-73 season in Memorial Coliseum. Kevin Grevey led all scorers with 28 points, followed by Jimmy Dan Conner’s 23 and 19 from Jim Andrews. Mike Flynn and Ronnie Lyons were the only two other Wildcats to score with 10 and 6 respectively.

I saw a similar article recently on KSR and they checked with the legend himself who said that UK had never had a court storm at Rupp.

As the true blue blood of the sport, we consider ourselves too dignified to do such a thing.

True and amen

@Watusi, was that when Tennessee had the Ernie and Bernie show? Or did they come a little later?
This court storming was in the latter part of the 72-73. If I am not mistaken, Grunfeld was a year ahead of King, and he didn't start at Tennessee until the following year (fall of 73).

@Hatz would probably know for sure.

This court storming was in the latter part of the 72-73. If I am not mistaken, Grunfeld was a year ahead of King, and he didn't start at Tennessee until the following year (fall of 73).

@Hatz would probably know for sure.

Thanks Tusi.

First, the 1975 season was the first year for the Ernie Bernie Show. King was a frosh that year and Grunfeld a Sophomore. They beat UK at Knoxville that season and started what would become a 5 game win streak vs UK. After '77 Grunfeld graduated and King went early to the pros as a Junior.

As to the court storming, this was regular season finale of the '73 season. KY had come back to put themselves in a position to win the SEC if they beat TN at Memorial in the finale. Cats did just that and with the win secured the bid to the NCAA Mideast and the conference title. It was Joe B Hall's first year and I think it was meant to be a new attitude at UK with the end of old man Rupp and the start of a new regime. Of course within a year or so Hall's steely façade made people long for the quips of Rupp.

Cats went on to beat Austin Peay and then lose to IU in the Regional Final led by Jim Andrews and Sophomore Kevin Grevey.

When was the last time fans at Rupp stormed the court. I personally dont know of any.

Any time at Memorial Coliseum in the day?

In my recollection UK has NEVER stormed the court at Rupp Arena. Memorial has had a few.

@Hatz, thanks for the info. Any UK question should be answered by way of your input, IMO.

When you say the '75 season, you mean '74-75, right? Meaning Ernie came to UT in the fall of '73 and King in the fall of '74, and they both played through the '76-77 season. Is that correct?