Courier-Journal's list of top 25 players in state

The list is probably as good as you can get right now. I think, however, that it will look quite different when the season is over. There don't seem to be many big names on it, which leads me to believe that many in the top 25 are "soft choices" and that there are a slew of comparable players just below them.

Same thing for preseason team rankings. Pick what you think. What can you really know in the preseason? Great fodder for discussion.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dai'Von Thompson was only jr or lower to be selected 1st team all 7th region last season, and not on top 25 and two others from his region are?

I was very surprised by this omission. It was the only name missing that jumped out to me.

Hard for me to think Jr. 6'3" guard Austin Crawford of Bracken Co. isn't on this list. There are some in the 10th that say its a toss up between him and Matt Wilson for the best player in the region. And with Wilson at the #7 spot one would think Crawford should be in the top 25 discussion maybe as high as top 15.

Hard for me to think Jr. 6'3" guard Austin Crawford of Bracken Co. isn't on this list. There are some in the 10th that say its a toss up between him and Matt Wilson for the best player in the region. And with Wilson at the #7 spot one would think Crawford should be in the top 25 discussion maybe as high as top 15.

I've seen a lot of kids all across the state and I've never seen him. Can't imagine too many of the coaches who voted on this list have seen him either.

I've seen a lot of kids all across the state and I've never seen him. Can't imagine too many of the coaches who voted on this list have seen him either.

There are plenty of good games on the schedule this season you may need to make plans on attending a couple and reevaluating. He is definitely worth the price of admission to watch play.

Coaches vote on these rankings. There are only a few ways that players can be seen to get the votes.

1. Play in the Sweet 16.

2. Play for a team that the coach is willing to play for exposure not always wins.

3. Play AAU on a team that is seen throughout the state or in state AAU.

4. I guess you could also get some steam from social media even though a lot of this is not true.

I've seen a lot of players on this list both head to head at camps, high school, and AAU ball.

FWIW, I'm not taking any other player in the state for 2017 over Tavin Lovan.

I'd probably go with the following for 2017:

Tavin Lovan

Peyton Broughton

Day Day Sloan

Cole Vonhandorf

I'd be thrilled to have any 4 on my team, but from a pure talent standpoint and all around game, I'd go with the above...

I've seen a lot of players on this list both head to head at camps, high school, and AAU ball.

FWIW, I'm not taking any other player in the state for 2017 over Tavin Lovan.

I'd probably go with the following for 2017:

Tavin Lovan

Peyton Broughton

Day Day Sloan

Cole Vonhandorf

I'd be thrilled to have any 4 on my team, but from a pure talent standpoint and all around game, I'd go with the above...

What is "Day Day's" real name?