The State of the Current St. Xavier Football Program?

Riverside 157

I don't really get up in arms over were/if St. X chooses to do an academic cut-off.

I don't either. If you look through out the country, most cities with several Catholic HSs will have atleast one that restricts entry based upon academics. In Cincinnati it is Cincy St. X, in Cleveland it is St. Ignatius. For some reason they tend to be run by religious orders, particularly Jesuits. The same is true in Europe based upon a friend of mine who got his Ph.D from Cambridge who talked about how exclusive the European Jesuit school system is. I don't think their exclusiveness makes them any less Catholic than the Univ of Notre Dame's difficult acceptance policy makes them less Catholic, Notre Dame's leadership did that just fine all by themselves :)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's all be honest, Trinity made a conscious decision to change the direction of its football and basketball programs in the last 10 years or so. This has changed the culture of the program and the way it is viewed in the community. Trinity was highly successful prior to making this decision and the program was admired beyond its won loss record. Most of the people I associate with from Trinity, granted they are 40-50 years old, aren't necessarily proud of it, they still rib me about beating X but even they admit that they don't recognize the program. It has nothing to do with exclusion or inclusion, learning differences or placement exam scores, it has to do with winning football games and appeasing a coach. St. X could do the exact same thing but has decided not to.

What the devil are you talking about? Coach Beatty had nothing to do with Coach Lampley's decision to start a transition. As far as the rest of your "change direction" comments, what is popping into my head is so abhorrent, that I won't make the accusation. What did you mean by your comments? Please be specific.

the '14 and '15 team did lack the RB that is typical of an X team. Smith in '14 was a solid back, but not the game breaker that has been common. Walker, Davis, and Purcell were in place to make a great trio, but injuries stopped it before they could all take off. This year was the same, no true go to back that could change the dynamic of a game. The zone scheme is fine, but obviously that can't be the only scheme used. Year four will be a huge year for Wolford especially if everything stays in place.

the '14 and '15 team did lack the RB that is typical of an X team. Smith in '14 was a solid back' date=' but not the game breaker that has been common. Walker, Davis, and Purcell were in place to make a great trio, but injuries stopped it before they could all take off. This year was the same, no true go to back that could change the dynamic of a game. The zone scheme is fine, but obviously that can't be the only scheme used. Year four will be a huge year for Wolford especially if everything stays in place.[/quote']

You know that is something I hadn't noticed but you're right. Usually X has a consistently powerful runner, if not a stud RB.

I'm not close to the program, but I've never heard of Isaacs being much involved. One thing I can say is that I come from a Trinity family (all my uncles, dad, cousins, and brother went in addition to myself) and I have never heard a bad word about Beatty as a coach.
There's plenty of ill will towards Beatty...some warranted, some not....that being said. He was brought in to lead by example and win....and he does both, brilliantly. He's a loving husband and father. He is dedicated, first, to his family, then to Trinity....

He rubs people, because he doesn't care about popular opinion, and he's not trying to make friends. He tells it how it is, and that's tough to handle sometimes.

Then why won't you tell us what you meant?

I think the insinuation is that by allowing in more diversity of students that T sold it's soul so to speak for victories.

Because we all know that allowing in students who are different is lowering our standards to these guys.

Of course that is all based on inference since he isn't going to come out directly and say such things because that would be an accusation and the burden of proof would be on him. So much easier to cast aspersions.

Or maybe he knows too much and the fact that he is coming forward with such accusations is causing some issues. Maybe he's right and the fact that he isn't willing to give up his source is driving you crazy so you now don't know where to look.

Man, I bet John Grisham could make a best selling novel off something like this!

From an actual football standpoint I wish the passing game would improve. I'm not looking for 300 yards, just close to 60% completion and limited TOs.

Here is an actual stat that many either do not realize or wish to acknowkedge:

In Glaser's last year, the starting QB (Austin Gahafer) passed for a completion percentage of over 65%. Wolford has yet to have a QB pass for even close to 60%.

The perception of Glaser's offense is somewhat different than the reality of it. Was it perfect? No. But the basis of it should be in facts instead of perceptions. The facts are that, based on completion percentage, that in Glaser's last season, he actually had a more effective pass offense than Wolford has in any of his three years at the helm.

Or maybe he knows too much and the fact that he is coming forward with such accusations is causing some issues. Maybe he's right and the fact that he isn't willing to give up his source is driving you crazy so you now don't know where to look.

Man, I bet John Grisham could make a best selling novel off something like this!

Or maybe he doesn't know his rump from a hot rock. That's the one I'm going with. The comments about "appeasing" Coach Beatty made me laugh and shows how little he knows.

If he has proof of malfeasance then I want him to report it. I don't want my school doing the wrong thing. As it is, I suspect this is more an attempt to assuage the egos of a school whose football program is on the slide. Which I also don't like, but hey if the swimming team and french scrabble squad are that important then by all means do your thing. Just don't level accusations if you aren't willing to do something about it.