The State of the Current St. Xavier Football Program?

Riverside 157

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

]If that be the case' date=' why bring in an alumnus with "ex-NFL player" on his resume?[/b'] Unless somebody felt Wolford was destined to fail (or, at least, not succeed too much) and actually wanted that to happen. Otherwise, why not just promote a longtime assistant with actual head coaching experience like Bruner and just go that route instead of setting Wolford — who I'm sure has been a longtime, big-money donor — up for failure?

Having a former NFL player as your head coach sounds to potential 7th and 8th grade students, the only problem is the 7th and 8th grade students have zero idea who he actually is.

Plus, just a name and face to go with a program. Put a well know name with a well know program and it should be smooth sailing :rolleyes: The issue with Wolford is that he turned it into a "good ol' boys club" his first two years and the foundation started to crack.

I know I'm an outsider' date=' but y'all seem to be a bit harsh on the program. St. X is still one of the top five teams in the state, and they snapped their four- year losing streak against Bowling Green in excellent fashion this year.[/quote']

Next season is really going to be the bellwether for Wolford I think.

Which players on the current Male team were CSAA kids?

I'd like to know this as well

In terms of X... The team seems to have lost its edge. But, in the grand scheme of things the Tigers are still top-5 in the state year in and year out.

The powers that be are not going to allow the football team to drive the school. It is well known that a public school student has to score higher than a private school student on the entrance exam in order to get accepted at X. Perry will accept being mediocre in football rather than risk being embarrassed by a student athlete down the road.

The powers that be are not going to allow the football team to drive the school. It is well known that a public school student has to score higher than a private school student on the entrance exam in order to get accepted at X. Perry will accept being mediocre in football rather than risk being embarrassed by a student athlete down the road.

What is sad is his perception that these are "either-or." It is quite possible to be very successful academically and very successful in the football field. St. X should strive for excellence in both endeavors.

I don't know that I have seen a significant change in performance on the field in Mike's years and Will's first 3. Definitely a different offensive philosophy, which in my opinion, was needed and is still a work in progress. Mike's veer would steamroll inferior opponents but was almost non-existent against better teams his last few years. Remember also, St. X hasn't had many powerhouse teams over the last 30 years. The admission standards and administrative philosophy dictate much of that. As an X grad, I'm good with that. I do not want to be a win at all cost football factory and am realistic enough to understand the dynamics at work. There have been many kids that wanted to come to X and would have made a huge difference on the field but academically would not have made it or financially couldn't afford it. That's not our mission as a school. Not elitist, just reality. If Perry and the board want to open the spigots, look out, but that's not happening.

Additionally, to add a little context on the last few years- the '13 team suffered several injuries at rb (Walker, Purcell, and Davis) that hurt them tremendously and was still 1 play away from beating a Male team that lost in the state finals. The '14 team handled Trinity easily in the regular season but was also missing their top 3 rb's in the playoff rematch and still very easily could have won that game, which for all intents and purposes was the state final. The '15 team was young but prospects look good for next year. Not making excuses and definitely disappointing but not quite as bad as some in this thread would lead you to believe. For most of Mike's career their was one other threat and it was a Trinity that doesn't resemble the recent ones and they would meet in the Semifinals or finals. The recent emergence of Male, along with the playoff pairings of the louisville districts, has eliminated a probable state finalist by week 2 or 3. Still have to win the game but losing a state final doesn't look quite as bad as losing in the 2nd round to the eventual champ.

One pet peeve, I would love to see X go back to some of the small things that Mike did- black shoes, same socks, no wristbands or sleeves, helmets on on the sidelines and standing. That and I would like for Will and Mike to work together to unify the fanbase, I don't think their tiff or their constituents arguing does much for the kids or school. I guess I'm showing my age now.

Just my opinion, Go Tigers!

I don't know that I have seen a significant change in performance on the field in Mike's years and Will's first 3. Definitely a different offensive philosophy, which in my opinion, was needed and is still a work in progress. Mike's veer would steamroll inferior opponents but was almost non-existent against better teams his last few years. Remember also, St. X hasn't had many powerhouse teams over the last 30 years. The admission standards and administrative philosophy dictate much of that. As an X grad, I'm good with that. I do not want to be a win at all cost football factory and am realistic enough to understand the dynamics at work. There have been many kids that wanted to come to X and would have made a huge difference on the field but academically would not have made it or financially couldn't afford it. That's not our mission as a school. Not elitist, just reality. If Perry and the board want to open the spigots, look out, but that's not happening.

Additionally, to add a little context on the last few years- the '13 team suffered several injuries at rb (Walker, Purcell, and Davis) that hurt them tremendously and was still 1 play away from beating a Male team that lost in the state finals. The '14 team handled Trinity easily in the regular season but was also missing their top 3 rb's in the playoff rematch and still very easily could have won that game, which for all intents and purposes was the state final. The '15 team was young but prospects look good for next year. Not making excuses and definitely disappointing but not quite as bad as some in this thread would lead you to believe. For most of Mike's career their was one other threat and it was a Trinity that doesn't resemble the recent ones and they would meet in the Semifinals or finals. The recent emergence of Male, along with the playoff pairings of the louisville districts, has eliminated a probable state finalist by week 2 or 3. Still have to win the game but losing a state final doesn't look quite as bad as losing in the 2nd round to the eventual champ.

One pet peeve, I would love to see X go back to some of the small things that Mike did- black shoes, same socks, no wristbands or sleeves, helmets on on the sidelines and standing. That and I would like for Will and Mike to work together to unify the fanbase, I don't think their tiff or their constituents arguing does much for the kids or school. I guess I'm showing my age now.

Just my opinion, Go Tigers!

You're sticking with that?

If you can succeed academically and pay the tuition within the guidelines of the khsaa rules there are no limits' date=' besides class size. Does Trinity not have those same limitations?[/quote']

Well I was just noting that it has been said that X doesn't offer all that much tuition assistance and they have a cutoff for the placement test, or is it more of an entrance exam there?

Because it sure sounds to me like they are trying to remain exclusive.