The State of the Current St. Xavier Football Program?

Riverside 157

I was just passing out compliments today. He has done a good job. Better than last years O. I get it, you just don't "like" what they do. 8 points more isn't good enough. They have a fullback on both those plays by the way. Leading through at the point of attack. They used multiple te's and got under center last year and scored 8 points less. That makes it look like your arguments for what you "like" not make sense.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just passing out compliments today. He has done a good job. Better than last years O. I get it, you just don't "like" what they do. 8 points more isn't good enough. They have a fullback on both those plays by the way. Leading through at the point of attack. They used multiple te's and got under center last year and scored 8 points less. That makes it look like your arguments for what you "like" not make sense.

I am not saying that everything they do is bad. Quite the contrary. I like a lot of what they do. Just not in short yardage, red zone, and bad weather. Case in point, the Tigers had the opportunity to score 42-49 points against Manual. They moved the ball at will up and down the field. However, they got stopped 4 times inside the red zone and had to either settle for field goals or got stopped on downs. They ended up with 27 points instead. Against more quality opponents, that lack of red zone production loses games.

A 13 year NFL veteran should know better.

I thought he Woolford and his staff showed their lack of experience from day one. His first year when X had Charles Walker and Austin Davis' date=' that team had the talent to win the state title, and they went 7-5, lost early in the tournament.[/quote']

Glaser would have won state with that team. They should have waited one more year and he would have gotten to go out on top. He deserved that.

As an alumnus from a far, I see this era lasting a maximum of 2 more seasons.

It appears that Wolford finally has a staff that fits the expectations for the program. The lack of coaching experience really hurt this program as Wolford had to find his way as a HC. What didn't help his learning curve was the fact that he was not in the building. The administration failed to understand how important that aspect is when deciding who will take over a program and a sport that requires a lot of unnoticed time and sacrifice.

Defensively, Coach Bruner really has helped the program and keeping them competitive, while the offense was trying to figure out what they were going to do.

With the current QB situation, the offensive scheme they have now fits well, but Ridder must improve his passing ability. That falls on both the player and the coach.

The situation of difference-making talent is something that has to be addressed with the administration. If I were being interviewed for this position, that would be one of my concerns. Top players in CSAA and the city are not going to X and while everyone wants to say this and that, if they don't have the players it's going to make it tough to knock off T and Male who have different makers playing for them. Also I would have to ask the administration about their expectations for the program. This would be related to the student-athlete concern, a new philosophy as a whole should be considered or else X is going to continue to fall in relevance in football and will just have to rely on their tradition to keep them relevant instead of current victories.

This issues are more than just Wolford, but he did not help himself create a foundation during his first two seasons. The administration put the program in this situation, now it'll be up to them to get them out of it.

If you can clear up a couple things. What position are you talking about in regards to "difference-making talent"? And what is CSAA?

If you can clear up a couple things. What position are you talking about in regards to "difference-making talent"? And what is CSAA?

CSAA is the Louisville Catholic school league. The number of catholic schools in the area have closed or merged with other schools and the overall student population is declining. Why it is declining is for an entirely different forum.

X had some solid players this past season, but really now one or two guys that could consistently beat you. Ridder was probably the lone guy on the offensive side of the ball who could take over the game, but consistency was an issue. Their RB situation was not very good. I was high on Chase Rowan when I saw him play as a soph. but he never really developed into the top end player. WR has always been an area of concern for the Tigers, and this year was no different. They have solid possession players, but not a guy that can put pressure on a secondary. Blake Roshkowski (sp) is speed guy, but not the best WR in terms of route running and creating separation.

Defense is solid because they're in position, but other the Logan Butler there was not a player that could step up and make plays or create a momentum changing play.

Very coachable kids, but the talent has dropped over the last couple of years. Every year, just look at the linemen for X and that will give you a good indication of how good the team will be, and this year they were average.

Getting top level student-athletes is a school responsibility not just a football responsibility. But one way the football team can help itself is by winning games.

I agree with your assessment of those two blocking schemes being sound in those situations. However, I strongly disagree with the formations from which those plays are run in those situations. 100% shotgun and no TE's is simply not smart or effective in the above-mentioned situations. That is the time to deploy multiple TE's, perhaps a fullback, and possibly place the QB under center. Just watch Trinity's offense. That is what they do in those situations. They are able to spread it out when they want to and get in multiple TE's when they want to.

3 of the 4 teams in the current college football playoff are exclusively shotgun with little tight end usage even in the red zone (using the H back to supplement this) I guess Sweeney, Meyer, and Kelly don't know offenses?

3 of the 4 teams in the current college football playoff are exclusively shotgun with little tight end usage even in the red zone (using the H back to supplement this) I guess Sweeney, Meyer, and Kelly don't know offenses?

Watch their games! All three of your above-mentioned coaches utilize the TE quite often in their shotgun and spread sets. Your comments are simply not based on fact. Do they use a TE all the time? NO. But they have that capability and choose to implement it in a regular basis when the situation warrants.

I am not saying that a TE must be used on every snap. All I am saying is that to NEVER use a TE is unsound, not smart, and bad coaching.

Maybe one or two other times: first Trinity game and the PRP game.

Makes it sound to me that it doesn't fit the personnel. From what I have seen of St. X and I will admit is limited, the best way to utilize the talent on the roster is the same way the Panthers utilize Cam Newton. Get in the gun let the big athletic QB get into the endzone with a spread power game. Get guys out of the box and use your best weapon running down hill.

I don't know the circumstances or the position St. X is in, but I do know that the offensive system St. X is running is picture perfect for the QB, and you should build an offense around your signal caller.

Here is the major question that I would love to hear opinions on:

Is the St. X program is better or worse shape now than when Wolford found it?

I'm going to say worse. But it's not worse because of this year, it's worse because Wolford put himself in a hole during the '13 season. There has been gradual improvement during the '14 and '15 season, but overall the program is losing relevance and most of the time is getting negative write up is the paper (ie. losing games against T and Male).

Another offseason of soul searching is in store for the staff and players, and hopefully they come back rejuvenated ready to make a big time jump in production.

I waited to read what you guys had to say. I respect all of the X Alum opinion. THE issue isnt coaching guys. Will has some of the best coaches around him! He has an excellent staff of coaches. Former head coaches. IMO St. X does more with less on the football field. The city of Louisville as a whole is the issue. Parents are not sending their kids to Catholic schools like they used too. Parents are just spending their money on other things than education. The X man is still the X man. Look at Trinity for example over 15 of the 30 players they have that see the field are of the public school system. 100 percent of Male is. St. X is sharing the catholic school kids with Trinity, Desales and X. Looking at the program there was 95 freshman football players. Maybe 2 kids ran a sub 5 40 time. The skill athlete just isnt in the program or they are choosing to play LAX. St. X is not in a worse state guys. The players are just different. The teams they play are evolved. Male uses their athletes in space as does Trinity. its the jim's and joe's guys. I love the St. X program and school. I would not change a thing except the interpretation of the KHSAA rules of talking to athletes from public school which ST.X can not by rule interpretation.

I am a fan of St. X, their staff and their players and students alike.

Sorry to say this guys but I heard this from a Male staffer. Male is opening Ghens and they are upping enrollment 300-500 students. they will be able to get the non traditional school athlete now. PRP, Central and the likes will take a dip because of this. The rich will get Richer in the world of the athletes.