The State of the Current St. Xavier Football Program?

Riverside 157

He was bragging on a victory in a scrimmage against a team without an identity who had just implemented a new offense.

At no point did I see him say that X was down or low in the talent tree. X's offense has sputtered and their D was competent.

So what exactly did he say that echoed that?

I can't quote him exactly but he said that this version of X wasn't as talented as the past versions. Same as the poster.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If X wants to right the ship they better get better athletes. Win- and win with athletes who want to be part of something bigger than is going on in schools like Ballard, Manual, PRP and Eastern. Now you can add X to that list. (Never thought I'd say that.) Trinity and Male got the best of the best of the class of 2016 to climb aboard. They did and because of that they're rewarded another Friday night of high school football.

If X wants to right the ship they better get better athletes. Win- and win with athletes who want to be part of something bigger than is going on in schools like Ballard, Manual, PRP and Eastern. Now you can add X to that list. (Never thought I'd say that.) Trinity and Male got the best of the best of the class of 2016 to climb aboard. They did and because of that they're rewarded another Friday night of high school football.

Easier said than done. The coaches have to be able to coach up the players they have and adjust their scheme to fit their personnel. The equalizer to the "athlete" issue for X has been their line play, which appears to be down the last couple of seasons. When X has been really good they've had quality skill players, but were really good upfront. For a former NFL offensive linemen I would think that it show in his teams, but it doesn't really.

Why does he ask that question at all?

Numerous ignorant accusations have been made in the past decade and a half about how Trinity recruits and how all their players are public school kids and from outside Jefferson Co. and that is how Trinity wins. My guess is he wants to have the facts when people contact/approach him with such accusations. More than once he has been contacted by newspaper reporters from out in the state wanting his comment about such accusations. Some of the accusations are humorous in how stupid they are.

You guys talk as if someone makes a decision about whether to admit athletes. The truth is that hundreds of families make a decision about what will be best for their child. For most, football is a minor factor. For top athletes, maybe it is a little more than that. The family chooses the school, not the other way around. It still comes down to doing what is best for your child.

Are you sure about your numbers? Each year Dr. Rob Mullen asks Coach Beatty for the 22 starters. He looks at the numbers that went to the Catholic grade schools versus public. I don't remember a single year where the ratio wasn't at least 17:5 with Catholic grade schools in the majority. Many years it reached 20:2.

Also, I have a hard time believing Male is 100% public fed. Manual snags a large amount of Catholic School kids (for example, the four Ram brothers who used to be on this site) and I cannot imagine Male does not to a degree also.

Male hasnt been allowing any students in from non traditional programs hence one of the reasons opening up ghens. As for Trinity that was the rough numbers given by a Trinity guy on this site

That's an interesting point — how has the rise of these two in the past decade adversely affected X? Because I don't get the impression that enrollment at Catholic high schools in general is down. If anything, it seems like it would be trending the other way.

I feel that some kids would rather go to CAL and DeSales because they have more opportunity and might not get buried on the depth chart. CAL has had growing success at the varsity level with many freshman being impact players. The opportunity to play varsity as a freshman for a quality program as well as a coach like LeFores that has ties to many college coaches has to be appealing. Many kids would rather go to a school where they have an opportunity to play and not have to compete with 95 kids just to play on the freshman team. Just my take.

I'm a St. X grad, played on a championship team under Glaser, and keep an admittedly light handle on the football program these days (read: apathy). However, I still have some involvement with the school in various capacities.

My perception is that the school/administration is content with football sliding further and further away from being its "marquee" sport/activity, and would rather be known as a nationally recognized school with a comprehensive athletic program rather than a catholic high school with a dominant football team.

Based upon hirings, alumni event speeches, and overall lack of concern it's simply become obvious to me that the AD, President, and alumni board view the football team's success as being equivalent to, merely as an example, the cross country team's. There should be no "special" attention to the football team. Therefore, there really is no urgency with the drought in football state titles, or widening gap with Trinity or Male.

They simply refuse to accept, and likewise act upon, the football program's unique position of being so important to the school's identity. Until there is a shift in this mentality I wouldn't expect much out of the program. I, and many other former teammates, certainly are not. St. X football as we knew/loved it is simply a very fond memory (for now - I hope).

It's a strange and sad feeling for us to expect such beatdowns every time X plays Trinity, but even worse is the knowledge there's nothing we can do about it. :down:

Edited by TigerStripes

there were over 100 less boys attending catholic high schools this past year.

Is that across Jefferson Co.? I'm curious where these numbers come from.

While I realize it's not necessarily easy to compare the situation at a small co-ed school and a large single-gender academy, but here locally Bethlehem HS has experienced growth in recent years. And with all the vitriol in Jefferson Co. that is aimed at JCPS, I would think enrollment at Catholic schools would be up.

I think it is interesting that Trinity is winning with superior talent. Last year's State Championship team had exactly 3 Seniors that are playing College football this year and Donald Brooks who would have played but needed to work on his grades and plans on playing next year. I know for a fact that at least 6 St. X kids from last year are playing at Centre alone plus a walk on at U of L and a walk on at WKU. I know that Trinity's Senior class this year was a large contributor last year but really the talent gap is not as large as some might suggest. There was a much larger gap when Trinity had Hatcher, Quick, White, Dawkins and Travis Wright then there is this year and last. I contribute a lot of the success to Trinity's off season program especially in the summer. My son played on last year's team and his entire week up to about 3:00 was at Trinity for strength training, agility and football related stuff. I'm not sure X is doing the same. I think that is making a bigger difference than the talent gap IMHO.

I contribute a lot of the success to Trinity's off season program especially in the summer. My son played on last year's team and his entire week up to about 3:00 was at Trinity for strength training, agility and football related stuff. I'm not sure X is doing the same. I think that is making a bigger difference than the talent gap IMHO.

I am pretty sure X used to and would think they still do but do not know for sure. The Xavierans can answer that.

I'm a St. X grad, played on a championship team under Glaser, and keep an admittedly light handle on the football program these days (read: apathy). However, I still have some involvement with the school in various capacities.

My perception is that the school/administration is content with football sliding further and further away from being its "marquee" sport/activity, and would rather be known as a nationally recognized school with a comprehensive athletic program rather than a catholic high school with a dominant football team.

Based upon hirings, alumni event speeches, and overall lack of concern it's simply become obvious to me that the AD, President, and alumni board view the football team's success as being equivalent to, merely as an example, the cross country team's. There should be no "special" attention to the football team. Therefore, there really is no urgency with the drought in football state titles, or widening gap with Trinity or Male.

They simply refuse to accept, and likewise act upon, the football program's unique position of being so important to the school's identity. Until there is a shift in this mentality I wouldn't expect much out of the program. I, and many other former teammates, certainly are not. St. X football as we knew/loved it is simply a very fond memory (for now - I hope).

It's a strange and sad feeling for us to expect such beatdowns every time X plays Trinity, but even worse is the knowledge there's nothing we can do about it. :down:

Then why the hurry to move Glaser along?

Things were much better under him so why push him out if not to try and make the program more competitive? Just baffling really.