Why would someone choose Duke over Kentucky?

jbwill2

Did it really take 41 posts for someone to mention Education? You get a far better education and the hook ups you would get would be outstanding.

The campus is beautiful, great climate, education is top-notch... I'm not touching the hook up comment.

I am also thinking that education is not a big driver for these players when it comes time to choose a school.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The campus is beautiful, great climate, education is top-notch... I'm not touching the hook up comment.

I am also thinking that education is not a big driver for these players when it comes time to choose a school.

The education part should be. With coach Cal's one and done approach I can see where it doesn't matter. If you plan on hanging around to get a degree Duke would be my choice. Even if you go pro for a few years, bank the cash and start a nice career.

The education part should be. With coach Cal's one and done approach I can see where it doesn't matter. If you plan on hanging around to get a degree Duke would be my choice. Even if you go pro for a few years, bank the cash and start a nice career.

I agree with you 100%... most need to think about life after college/pros. I just think these top recruits are headed the one and done route and do not think beyond a 1-2 year plan. Just a few years ago it seemed like the one and done was something linked to Cal/UK, it now seems like it is becoming much more common for these top recruits.... regardless of where they attend college.

I agree with you 100%... most need to think about life after college/pros. I just think these top recruits are headed the one and done route and do not think beyond a 1-2 year plan. Just a few years ago it seemed like the one and done was something linked to Cal/UK, it now seems like it is becoming much more common for these top recruits.... regardless of where they attend college.

Agreed. I don't think many are overly concerned with their education when it comes to choosing their school. I do like hearing stories of guys like Kyrie Irving taking classes and continuing their education even though they are in the pros.

So, you are saying that Coach K/Duke are better than Coach Cal/UK at getting guys into the NBA at this point in time?

It took a couple of years for Coach K to warm up to the one and done player. Now that he has you will see the number of NBA guys from Duke rise.

It is so sad that someone really feels that a player has a better chance getting to the pros going to KY than to Duke. If you're not from KY there are plenty of reasons to go to Duke. Have you ever been on Duke's campus? Coach K. The weather. The education to name a few.

I've notice you left out the women!

Absolutely shocked this is an actual question.

But for starters, 17 year olds do have more thoughts than just "What's the fastest way to get drafted?" during the recruiting process.

Facilities, living arrangements, food availability, distance to classes, distance from home, etc are a few other factors that 17 year olds consider when picking a college.

It took a couple of years for Coach K to warm up to the one and done player. Now that he has you will see the number of NBA guys from Duke rise.

The bottom line is that Calipari will be credited with breaking the ice in getting multiple one-and-dones to the NBA, like Calipari or not, he has changed recruiting as most top players do not avoid schools just because someone who plays their position will keep them from getting drafted. Murray and Briscoe are perfect examples of this, as neither of them will start at their natural point guard position. But to question why a player would want to play for coach K at Duke should not be taken seriously!

The bottom line is that Calipari will be credited with breaking the ice in getting multiple one-and-dones to the NBA, like Calipari or not, he has changed recruiting as most top players do not avoid schools just because someone who plays their position will keep them from getting drafted. Murray and Briscoe are perfect examples of this, as neither of them will start at their natural point guard position. But to question why a player would want to play for coach K at Duke should not be taken seriously!

Yep, there was no such thing as a one and done unti Cal came along. Good call. Only thing he will be credited for is somehow managing to not win titles with the best talent because he refuses to recruit program kids, just transients

Look, I love Cal and Ky and everyone marvels how he gets these superstars to come and play together, sacrificing playing time and points. They, most of them, were already viewed as one and dones when they came. So, it was not a stretch to say they were going pro regardless of where they went to college. Cal does a better job of selling them on him and KY. Tells them to go pro. This separates him from the Roy Williams of the world who try and squeeze another year out of a kid.