Why would someone choose Duke over Kentucky?

jbwill2

Since Coach Calipari has come to UK he has had unmatched success in getting his players drafted into the NBA, and several of his former UK players are experiencing significant success in the pros. However, for the past 2 years Duke has bested UK in the recruiting wars, and Duke is now poised to make it 3 years in row with the nation's top recruiting class.

With all that being said, why would a kid who is a big-time high school player and has designs on spending 1-2 years in college and jumping to the pros choose Duke (or any school) over UK at this point? I would understand it if the kid has a connection to a particular program (ie, has a family member who went there or is a fan of the team), but otherwise why would a kid who has a chance to play under Calipari at UK not sign with UK?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

UK has a whopping total of 3 more players in the NBA than Duke. Coach K is a legendary coach with more wins than anyone in the history of men's college basketball. Duke also has two national championships to UK's one since Calipari took over at UK. I think a better question is why would someone go to UK over Duke?

Let's not act like Duke is Mercer or Lehigh.

That's the best answer I can give you.

:lol2: :lol2:

Because Coach K might be the greatest college basketball coach ever. The only other coach in contention is Wooden.

K wins, gets guys to the pros, and seems to be very well-liked by former players. He also coaches Team USA, which is a recent huge added plus.

Cal is great, and I get why kids choose UK over every other school, including Duke. But I can certainly see why some would choose Duke over UK.

UK has a whopping total of 3 more players in the NBA than Duke. Coach K is a legendary coach with more wins than anyone in the history of men's college basketball. Duke also has two national championships to UK's one since Calipari took over at UK. I think a better question is why would someone go to UK over Duke?

Very well stated.

I liked this post and I'm a UK fan...

O

The stat you listed about players in the NBA is misleading. The number of UK players getting drafted has skyrocketed since Calipari has been coach, compared to how it was pre-Calipari. Are you telling me that Duke has matched UK in getting players to the NBA from 2010 onwards? I find that hard to believe. How many Duke players have been selected first in the draft since 2010??? How many has UK had in that time frame???

Also, if you are a top player how much do you really care about playing for the all time greatest coach in college, compared to getting selected high in the draft? Calipari has shown that he can get his UK players picked high in the draft... If K is such a great coach why hasn't he been able to do the same since 2010?

I am operating under the assumption that the nation's top prep basketball players place top priority in getting into the NBA and getting paid. If this assumption is correct (and perhaps it is not), then again I ask, why choose Duke over Calipari's UK?