Why would someone choose Duke over Kentucky?

jbwill2

Yep, there was no such thing as a one and done unti Cal came along. Good call. Only thing he will be credited for is somehow managing to not win titles with the best talent because he refuses to recruit program kids, just transients

No college basketball coach has ever sent players into the NBA at the rate that Calipari has! He has also won a national championship! These are facts, not my personal opinion! His former players also seem to have a great deal of respect for him, and support the University whenever called upon. So far the players that Cal has brought to UK represent the program in an outstanding way! I would have coach K run my program anyday, just as I would Cal!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It took a couple of years for Coach K to warm up to the one and done player. Now that he has you will see the number of NBA guys from Duke rise.
I would think this would be true, however the trick will be pairing the one and dones with upperclassmen, then you have the recipe for super teams!

I'm a Kentucky fan and the fact the thread made it this long is hilarious. Someone could choose Duke over Kentucky simply because they felt more comfortable there. Both are tremendous programs with great coaches and a path into the NBA. If I was a high level recruit and Coach K was in my house I would definitely have to consider it. Kentucky fan or not. Same goes for Roy Williams or Bill Self. I'm glad I could help keep this hilarious thread going!

I

No college basketball coach has ever sent players into the NBA at the rate that Calipari has! He has also won a national championship! These are facts, not my personal opinion! His former players also seem to have a great deal of respect for him, and support the University whenever called upon. So far the players that Cal has brought to UK represent the program in an outstanding way! I would have coach K run my program anyday, just as I would Cal!

Lol. You UK guys are so easy. Was my post even remotely more ridiculous than the premise in which this assanine thread was started? If it was good, but that may be even funnier than you took it hook line and sinker.

I

Lol. You UK guys are so easy. Was my post even remotely more ridiculous than the premise in which this assanine thread was started? If it was good, but that may be even funnier than you took it hook line and sinker.

I try to refrain from personal opinions, but since you asked I would say each of your posts were equally as ridiculous as the premise of this assanine thread!

I have said this many times before....

If I wasn't an avid UK fan, I would hate them.

The arrogance of the original poster of this thread speaks as to why.

What are you talking about? As I had clearly written in a previous post, I am not a big fan of basketball, and am certainly not a UK zealot. The psychiatrist in me is actually fascinated by the outrage caused by my original post. Go back and read it again. I asked a simple question... Why choose Duke over UK?

And by the way, I am an employee of UNC Chapel Hill!

What are you talking about? As I had clearly written in a previous post, I am not a big fan of basketball, and am certainly not a UK zealot. The psychiatrist in me is actually fascinated by the outrage caused by my original post. Go back and read it again. I asked a simple question... Why choose Duke over UK?

Don't worry, we're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you... :lol2:

Duke is the one program that has been equal to UK in the Cal era, you may have been better off asking this question of a different program!

Says the guy wondering how a kid could possibly pick Duke over Kentucky... :lol2:

I live 20 minutes from Duke's campus and have for the past 6 years. I can assure you that I would not be in support of either of my children attending Duke when they come of age, and it has absolutely nothing to do with college basketball.

I live 20 minutes from Duke's campus and have for the past 6 years. I can assure you that I would not be in support of either of my children attending Duke when they come of age, and it has absolutely nothing to do with college basketball.

Well, you are asking a college basketball question so......... :idunno:

My intent in asking the original question was to gain insight into why a top tier prep basketball player would select Duke over UK. Right now Cal is known as THE guy that can prepare you for making it to the NBA. It seems that the elite kids who have their pick of programs would want to play for Cal at UK, but clearly that is not the case, as Duke is now beating UK head to head in the recruiting battles. I am honestly wondering why these kids are picking Duke. I am not asking the question to be cute or arrogant, I am asking to gain an understanding of why these kids are not picking UK. A few of you have actually provided appropriate answers to this question, while most of you have, well...

Because Coach K might be the greatest college basketball coach ever. The only other coach in contention is Wooden.

K wins, gets guys to the pros, and seems to be very well-liked by former players. He also coaches Team USA, which is a recent huge added plus.

Cal is great, and I get why kids choose UK over every other school, including Duke. But I can certainly see why some would choose Duke over UK.

He also does it with the academic constraints that UK boosters would laugh at.