Danville High School Volunteer arrested for improper texts to young boys.

jericho

It doesn't say "Head Coach at Danville." It says Danville Football Coach. Did he coach football @ Danville?

Around my parts, saying "coach" implies head coach (or manager/skipper in baseball). If he's an assistant or volunteer, then you MAKE SURE you include assistant or volunteer.

I'm with others on this one: Headline should have said volunteer or assistant -- but BOTH preferred.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you would be wary of me. I have no children of my own, but I have coached basketball for years now and started the youth program at my church when we built our Life Center (gym) several years ago.

I have had other coaches look at me funny when they ask me.."which kid is yours"?, and I reply "none of them". "Really"? is a common response.

I have been asked why I do it, because its a LOT of time and effort spent on it almost year round, but particularly from September thru March. I do it because it gets kids involved in the church, some of whom have never been involved. I do it to give kids an opportunity who otherwise don't/wouldn't have it. I do it to pass along the knowledge of a game I love and was pretty decent at so that others might take advantage of that knowledge and learn the game that they also enjoy/love. I do it because there's nothing like watching a kid grow, learn the game, blossom and become a better ball player than he ever realized. I do it because it might be the only team a kid can be on and feel a part of. Those are some reasons I do it.

With all that said, I also try and take as many precautions as possible to make sure I am never alone with younger kids. Not that I am in any way a danger to them, but rather to protect myself so no one can ever have even the potential to say I was up to something. In our program we also allow the parents to stay for practice, nothing is ever closed. I have many mothers and fathers that sit in the bleachers and watch...sometimes even pulling a dad out of the stands to help with a drill or something.

So, didn't mean to thread jack, and I know there are some bad guys out there like this guy...but there are a lot of good guys out there as well. I would like to think I am one of them.

You have to admit, there are reasons to be wary of you. Just not sure coach is one of them.

Around my parts, saying "coach" implies head coach (or manager/skipper in baseball). If he's an assistant or volunteer, then you MAKE SURE you include assistant or volunteer.

I'm with others on this one: Headline should have said volunteer or assistant -- but BOTH preferred.

On Bobby Cassady's Facebook page he claims to be a coach at Danville. It wasn't until after this story came out that folks from Danville began saying he wasn't a coach. Folks were fine with him claiming to be a coach when he was known as an upstanding citizen.

• 2 weeks later...

Danville put out an update this morning:

9 November 2015

Dear Danville Schools Families:

Concern regarding the charges facing our former district volunteer remain palpable. We know the accused are innocent until proven guilty, yet we demand answers and explanations – anything that can make irrational and horrendous acts seem possible, predictable, and preventable. Unfortunately, sometimes situations exist to which logic does not apply while the wheels of justice seemingly inch up the steepest of slopes. Wounds of this sort are slow to heal and easily re-opened.

We press on with purpose. The Danville Police Department engages in a methodical analysis because the volunteer in question was woven tightly within the fabric of the Danville community. Detectives must be even more meticulous in information shared, lenses applied, and research conducted. I remain in close contact with the police, though, as a community, we should not expect to hear from them until certainty is reached. There is too much at stake for those impacted.

The school district conducts its own internal review. We analyze policies, procedures, avenues of access, and relationships within and among partners, sponsors, and volunteers. We search to see the extent to which we make students vulnerable. We analyze the line between being protective and being prohibitive. Certainly adjustments and updates will be made, but nothing that can turn back the clock and erase this situation.

I ask for your patience and coping skills. Know there may never be answers to all the questions. There may never be a way to provide 100% safety to everyone at every time and in every place. Also know the Danville Schools are forever committed to chasing that goal of perfection as it applies to safety as well as learning.

I am the primary point of contact on this matter. Please allow schools and staff to be uninterrupted in their pursuit of student achievement. Any questions should be directed to me. Mentioned in the previous letter, I may not know the answers but promise to listen.

We lift as we climb,

Keith Look, Ed.D.

• 1 month later...
Prayer and God can't take it away, Sigmund?

IMO the desire will always be there. To what degree I dont know. The devil will always try to tempt the most righteous person, ask Jesus when you go see him to explain yourseld one day.

• 3 months later...

Once again...this thread title is misleading and should be changed.

But anyways.

From the local paper:

Bobby Cassady, for a status hearing. Cassady is facing two counts of first-degree unlawful transaction with a minor, illegal sexual act, under 18; one count of first-degree unlawful transaction with a minor, illegal sexual act, under 16; promoting a sexual performance by a minor under 18; possession of matter portraying sexual performance of a minor and two counts of first-degree sexual abuse.

Cassady, 28, was charged in October after a 17-year-old male victim came forward to police, which led to the discovery of a 15-year-old victim, too.

According to the indictment, the sexual abuse charges and the charges involving a minor less than 16 years old date back to 2011, when he used “his position of authority or special trust to subject a minor less than 18 years of age, with whom he came into contact with as a result of that position, to sexual contact."

Cassady had served as youth minister at Gethsemane Baptist Church and was also a leader in the local chapter of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. He volunteered with high school football teams and was a substitute bus driver for Danville schools.

Cassady is expected to appear again at 9 a.m. on June 7.

Once again...this thread title is misleading and should be changed.

But anyways.

From the local paper:

Bobby Cassady, for a status hearing. Cassady is facing two counts of first-degree unlawful transaction with a minor, illegal sexual act, under 18; one count of first-degree unlawful transaction with a minor, illegal sexual act, under 16; promoting a sexual performance by a minor under 18; possession of matter portraying sexual performance of a minor and two counts of first-degree sexual abuse.

Cassady, 28, was charged in October after a 17-year-old male victim came forward to police, which led to the discovery of a 15-year-old victim, too.

According to the indictment, the sexual abuse charges and the charges involving a minor less than 16 years old date back to 2011, when he used “his position of authority or special trust to subject a minor less than 18 years of age, with whom he came into contact with as a result of that position, to sexual contact."

Cassady had served as youth minister at Gethsemane Baptist Church and was also a leader in the local chapter of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. He volunteered with high school football teams and was a substitute bus driver for Danville schools.

Cassady is expected to appear again at 9 a.m. on June 7.

There you go. Changed it. :thumb: