I think we have a QB Controversy

I am not saying that is not true, I am just wondering when in the game this was? We're you at the game? If so I get it because I go to basically all the home games and that is why I get so frustrated with Dalton. I see guys running wide open that he never looks at because he locks in on one guy. Mccarron went through progressions more in this last game than Dalton usually ever has in 4 years. Even the one through to Eifert to set up the 3rd touchdown. Mcccarron even said technically Eifert wasn't suppose to be next on his progression but when he was looking at another receiver he saw Eifert flash open and went to him.

So he definitely may have missed seeing guys get open on two plays. However I have seen Dalton miss seeing guys get open for the last 4 years.

Yes, I was at the game have only missed two home games Preseason, regular season and playoffs since 1980. There was probably more, but he was a typical newbie, he didn't go through progressions as you say, as well as you say. he generally did 3 at the most then took off running when with the first team. In the second half he had no chance with the line play being awful.

I am very excited about the way he played. Maybe we have a bona fide backup now. It just amazes me how a guy can win 40 games in his first 4 years and make the playoffs every year and people want to try an untested basically rookie.

I get the Prime Time and playoff thing, but the last four years have been the longest stretch of the Bengals being relevant, at least in the regular season. AD will win a playoff game or two or many more. He will throw a clinker out there every now and then, but he is pretty consistent. I really only blame the Chargers playoff loss on his shoulders. The others, he had tons of help.

I am a fan of AD and will probably will continue to be. I also believe Marvin Lewis and Tobin were the best things to happen to this organization since the late 80's. Again, they are not a laughing stock any more.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I was at the game have only missed two home games Preseason, regular season and playoffs since 1980. There was probably more, but he was a typical newbie, he didn't go through progressions as you say, as well as you say. he generally did 3 at the most then took off running when with the first team. In the second half he had no chance with the line play being awful.

I am very excited about the way he played. Maybe we have a bona fide backup now. It just amazes me how a guy can win 40 games in his first 4 years and make the playoffs every year and people want to try an untested basically rookie.

I get the Prime Time and playoff thing, but the last four years have been the longest stretch of the Bengals being relevant, at least in the regular season. AD will win a playoff game or two or many more. He will throw a clinker out there every now and then, but he is pretty consistent. I really only blame the Chargers playoff loss on his shoulders. The others, he had tons of help.

I am a fan of AD and will probably will continue to be. I also believe Marvin Lewis and Tobin were the best things to happen to this organization since the late 80's. Again, they are not a laughing stock any more.

The reason I am now on board with moving on from him is because I feel like they have won more despite of him rather than because of him. I have made it very clear over the last few years that I feel like these Bengal teams are some of the most overall talented Bengals clubs in history. Back in 2005 and 2006 the Bengals won a lot of games because of great qb play leading the way. They won because of qb play rather than the other areas. I believe we could have had at least similar results with some other qbs these last few years of beating the bad to average teams like we have with Dalton. When you watch this team there is not much when I ever say wow what a play by Dalton. Or man we couldn't have won that game without Dalton. He is now in his fifth year and people are just now saying he is trying to step up as a leader that says alot.

Go look at comments by Marvin Jones after the game yesterday. Marvin Jones talks about how McCarron is a natural leader and he has the it factor. That has been said a few times about McCarron since otas started this spring. We never hear that about Dalton.

Yes the wins speak for themself. However his play agaiant good teams, big games and prime time games speaks for it self too. Which also can make one believe we have won a lot more despite him instead of because of him.

Horrible horrible comparison. Only reason. Brady got a shot was because Bledsoe went down with an injury.

Exactly! Which is the point! Sometimes you do need another guy to get a team over the hump. Which you won't know unless you allow the opportunity to happen.

I mean Bill Belicheck would never have been known as one of the greatest coaches of all time if Bledsoe didn't get hurt. He was just an average coach and needed another qb to get them over the top.

I think the Bengals are at that point to at least try it. Which I openly admit it could fail but I am now willing to risk it.

When your starting QB is 3-12 in primetime games and 0-4 in post season games with a QB rating of around 50 in the playoffs, any alternative should be taken seriously. But with giggles in charge I'm sure they will continue to march the red nightmare out there.

Giggles...lmbo

The reason I am now on board with moving on from him is because I feel like they have won more despite of him rather than because of him. I have made it very clear over the last few years that I feel like these Bengal teams are some of the most overall talented Bengals clubs in history. Back in 2005 and 2006 the Bengals won a lot of games because of great qb play leading the way. They won because of qb play rather than the other areas. I believe we could have had at least similar results with some other qbs these last few years of beating the bad to average teams like we have with Dalton. When you watch this team there is not much when I ever say wow what a play by Dalton. Or man we couldn't have won that game without Dalton. He is now in his fifth year and people are just now saying he is trying to step up as a leader that says alot.

Go look at comments by Marvin Jones after the game yesterday. Marvin Jones talks about how McCarron is a natural leader and he has the it factor. That has been said a few times about McCarron since otas started this spring. We never hear that about Dalton.

Yes the wins speak for themself. However his play agaiant good teams, big games and prime time games speaks for it self too. Which also can make one believe we have won a lot more despite him instead of because of him.

I do like AJ's fire. The only other QB the Bengals have had that really led the team was Boomer. Kenny Anderson was very Dalton like in his personality, as was Palmer. Those are really the only QB's since 1980 we can really debate. The others were either washed up, a career backup, or just plain not NFL caliber. Jeff Blake had one really good year, but the league caught up to him quickly.

I think AJ is a leader of Boomer's demeanor or appears to be. I do not believe he will be at Boomer's skill level. AJ may be a good QB of the future, I just don't think it will be in Cincy, unless something awful injury wise happens to AD.

However, if he can lead us to a Super Bowl I will gladly be more excited. What we have is a promising good young QB. That is a good thing.

I do like AJ's fire. The only other QB the Bengals have had that really led the team was Boomer. Kenny Anderson was very Dalton like in his personality, as was Palmer. Those are really the only QB's since 1980 we can really debate. The others were either washed up, a career backup, or just plain not NFL caliber. Jeff Blake had one really good year, but the league caught up to him quickly.

I think AJ is a leader of Boomer's demeanor or appears to be. I do not believe he will be at Boomer's skill level. AJ may be a good QB of the future, I just don't think it will be in Cincy, unless something awful injury wise happens to AD.

However, if he can lead us to a Super Bowl I will gladly be more excited. What we have is a promising good young QB. That is a good thing.

Agreed! And we both already know we disagree on what will happen if the Bengals fail again in first round or miss the playoffs. I think they will let Dalton go if they fail again because they have so many free agents of their own to sign and I do think they are high on Mcccarron and would let Dalton go rather than pay him that money if he falls short again. Which I know you believe there is really no chance they let him go. So I do think mcccarrons career will be here unless Dalton gets them over the hump this year.

There is no controversy period. The only way that AJ McCarron gets a sniff this year is if AD gets hurt. Marvin has a QB who has been to 2 Pro bowls and taken them to the playoffs 4 straight years and AJ has never started a regular season game in the NFL. As much as I hate Andy Dalton and would like to see what possibilities McCarron brings to the table it's not happening unless Dalton gets hurt.

There is no controversy at this time but can't the Bengals get out of AD's contract fairly cheaply after this year? If so I would imagine they would want to see what AJ can do for real before they make that decision. A couple bad halfs this year and I'm not sure Andy gets to come out in the second half.

There is no controversy at this time but can't the Bengals get out of AD's contract fairly cheaply after this year? If so I would imagine they would want to see what AJ can do for real before they make that decision. A couple bad halfs this year and I'm not sure Andy gets to come out in the second half.

The only problem with that is once the season starts AJ will not see many reps at all in practice like he is now in preseason.