CovCath 9 Beechwood 8

The two times I've seen it, the argument was that by touching the catcher in his attempt to block it; it went out of play from the field ie catcher...which is incorrect from what I know...anyway, the bats were neatly leaning against the face of the dugout...as opposed to inside...they were basically inside the area in front of the dugout...the ball probably would have bounced off the face of the dugout wall and either came back in foul territiry, or hit the kids standing in the area right in front of the dugout...it was just a bad break for Beechwood...I don't think the bats were ultimately to blame...I think it was going either in the dugout or into the boys standing there anyway...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The right call was made, no doubt about that. It was just odd to me, because I hadn't seen it before and it was explained to me by the person next to me that the bats were not allowed in the feild of play.

The umps were solid today, only 1 call on a pitch stands out as shaky, but it happens it's part of the game. But other than that, you would be hard pressed to think of another somewhat shaky call. Good game by the blues.

Who had the clutch hits, 2Short?

I know I"ll miss someone...but...Blazewski, Maile, Larkin, Isler, Schriever, and others...they put up 7 runs in the sixth...all base hits and two 2 walks...I think the bases were loaded for like 5 hitters ? So in my mind...many were clutch...oh yeah...Stein, Popham...

I checked with an umpire I trust regarding the play where the bats were in play.

Fed rules allow the umpire to award an extra base should he think they would have acquired that base had the ball not become dead because of the other team having equipment in play.

He said "if in doubt" penalize the team that left the bats out.

I checked with an umpire I trust regarding the play where the bats were in play.

Fed rules allow the umpire to award an extra base should he think they would have acquired that base had the ball not become dead because of the other team having equipment in play.

He said "if in doubt" penalize the team that left the bats out.

You are correct. And this should be covered in ground rules. This is just like a coach sitting on a bucket outside the dugout. He knows that if he gets hit, it is double jeopardy, meaning... if they are on offense, the runners go back, if they are on defense, the runners advance....

This game was a huge disappointment for Beechwood, i think that all of the games they have had in the last 2 weeks just caught up with them. Cov cath didnt exactly start off that great, but they finally got the sticks going in the bottom of the 6th. This game meant a lot to Beechwood, if they would have won they would have to play holmes in the first round of districts (a much easier game than cov cath or holy cross). Now Beechwood is relying on a blind draw to get the one seed. Even though this is a very big disapointment to Beechwood, I still think they will bounce back and win the 9th region tournament and posibly make it down to applebee's park for a 2nd time this year. Congratulations to Cov Cath on a big win, but I belive the tigers will be too much for them in the districts or region.

Congrats to Covcath on a big win and what a tough loss for the tigers to swallow but they will bounce back...A long week finally hurt them as they didnt really have much pitching to go with for this game.

Anyone know when the blind draw will be? Looks like Covcath could finally see what Holy Cross feels like every year in basketball having to either play Holmes or Covcath in the first round and not even making the region tournament even though they're a top 5 team