KY All-Star Team Tryouts Eliminated

Don't know anything about Indiana's process. Whatever it is, it seems to be working for them. Sadly in our state, we seem to be de-emphasizing the importance of the game at a time when we should be doing more to emphasize it. The try-outs used to be a two day process when kids could come down and work out for two days and spend a night in the hotel. Kids and coaches could all mingle and get to know each other and it was a big deal. In my opinion, reducing it to a one day deal, really took away alot of the luster from the whole process. Taking away the try-outs altogether( and all spots were not pre-determined, contrary to popular opinion) makes it not much better than any other aau type, johnny come lately all-star game. I realize money is tight, but at this rate, this series is doomed. Taking away try-outs takes away the chance for some kid from a school that didn't make the state tournament or doesn't travel with an aau team to get their shot to make a name for themselves. I've seen it happen. Going to a single panel decision takes that opportunity out of their hands.Some may not care, but I appreciate the history of this series and what it means or meant to high school basketball in this state.

I have always liked the series, but it appeared doomed when the Courier-Journal dropped its sponsorship...and the resultant dozens of columns and stories talking about it. Indiana has the Indianapolis Star still behind it and a couple of fabulous websites that promote its history.

The Lions Club, try though they might (give 'em an A for effort!) just are not equipped to handle a state-wide deal like this.

Couple that with 50% more people to choose from overall and many more metropolitan areas. Indiana has seventeen cities of 50,000 or more; Kentucky has four.

As per this thread: as far as putting talent on the floor, I don't think a selection committee or try-outs makes any difference.

They do not

This is a staple of Indiana High School Basketball, used to be the to 4o workout

not sure where the selection process fits in but the players talents are showcased

IBCA and IHSAA work together with this workout.

In KY to my knowledge the KHSAA has never helped or it's been quite some time if they have

Hoosier Basketball Magazine selects for Top 60 Workout

Recruiting Insider

Kyle Neddenriep, kyle.neddenriep@indystar.com 2:52 p.m. EDT April 2, 2015

Hoosier Basketball Magazine has selected its participants for the 28th annual Top 60 Senior Boys Workout.

Two sessions of the Top 60 will be held on April 12 at Marian University, in conjunction with the IBCA and IHSAA. Boys primarily from Northern and Southern Indiana will participate in a session at 1:30 p.m., followed by a session of mostly Central Indiana players at 3:30 p.m. Brownsburg coach Steve Lynch will direct both sessions.

Both sessions are open to the public for a cost of $7.

Don't know anything about Indiana's process. Whatever it is, it seems to be working for them.

Indiana has a little over 2 million more people than Kentucky and around 125 more high schools than Kentucky. That, much more than tryouts, is what give them an advantage.

I have no idea why they moved the game away from the Owensboro Sportscenter. The game was well attended, well supported. It was there for two years in the early 2000s and I'll never forget Patrick Sparks putting on a show to lead Kentucky past Indiana. I also remember how talented Indiana was when they brought the Shawn May team down here.

Bring the game back to Owensboro, watch the sponsors come aboard, and watch the seats fill up. I can promise that more than 800 people will show up to watch the game.

The Indiana Top 40 workout was a pretty cool event. Lots of college coaches came to see the top talent in the state go through drills, play half court 3-on-3 and then full court 5-on-5.

Their team was selected prior to the workout but announced that evening.

It would be cool if Ky followed this set up instead of canceling. Kids can always use a little more exposure.

I can see the elimination of tryouts but I find it embarrassing that only five of sixteen coaches participated in the process. I know losing big money is a factor but I hate the exposure the JR team will miss. We should be promoting our talent.

I can see the elimination of tryouts but I find it embarrassing that only five of sixteen coaches participated in the process. I know losing big money is a factor but I hate the exposure the JR team will miss. We should be promoting our talent.

Agreed. Juniors are losing out. Hopefully there are some types of events that can make up for this.