Western Kentucky Teams...Wow

A great friend and former college prof of mine is from there. I'm dying to visit there to take wildlife pics at the reserve.

Also always wanted to go to Columbus-Belmont Park where Ky borders the Mississippi. Furthest west I've been in KY was Bowling Green.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is.... Just like last year but yet we continue to be overlooked in the rankings. looking like the stage is set for 2 Western Kentucky teams to make it to the Final 4 again.

Beat somebody. Henderson County got much much love in the rankings. Why? Because they beat the good teams on their schedule. You can't expect anyone doing rankings to throw teams into their rankings when they haven't beaten anyone perceived to be good. Also keep in mind that Owensboro and Hopkinsville stayed in the rankings all season long. When Calloway County made it to the rankings they promptly went out and got beat. Christian County in the rankings then they got beat. Webster County into the rankings. Yep, then they get beat. Warren Cenral close to getting ranked? Yep, then they forget how to beat BG. If ANY team has a gripe it's BG since they finished the season so strong but ultimately their best wins being over an under achieving Warren Central team didn't prove strong enough to get them ranked. Do our rankings miss on some teams? Sure. The people involved doing the rankings are only human and can only go by the product we see and hear about on the court. At the same time looking at the quarterfinals we have: Hoptown, Owensboro, CovCath, Doss, Ballard, Boyle County, Bowling Green and Calloway County. Seven of those teams either are or were ranked at one point this season and six of them in the top 15 for a large majority of the year.

I'll take that as a successful season ranking the state any day.

Also always wanted to go to Columbus-Belmont Park where Ky borders the Mississippi. Furthest west I've been in KY was Bowling Green.

Been there. Very neat. You can feel the history as you walk through the fortifications. I have many pics from Columbus-Belmont.

Literally a whole 'nother state past Bowling Green. You can drive to points another 2-3+ hours and still be in KY. There is nothing like it. I'm not sure if you are an outdoorsmen or not, but the rest of the state can't even begin to compare (outside of maybe the Lake Cumberland area) in that arena.

For the record (and, not that you did), but saying BG is WKY to those west of BG is more or less 'fighting words'. :lol2:

There are a few different versions of WKY across our state that I've noticed:

* To all of those along and/or east of I-75. "Western Kentucky" means the I-65 corridor of E-town/BG.

* Then, if you ask those in Hopkinsville/Henderson...along that stretch; they begin WKY.

*......then, you have those who are on or past LBL, and they say WKY is from those points on west.

It makes for fun conversation.

The kid next to us filming for Calloway County said it took them four and a half hours to get to Rupp. They brought a great crowd and he told me more about Calloway County than I have ever known before. Calloway County gained a new fan tonight. They play my Purples tomorrow but I won't be mad if they win. I love their enthusiasm and spirit.

The kid next to us filming for Calloway County said it took them four and a half hours to get to Rupp. They brought a great crowd and he told me more about Calloway County than I have ever known before. Calloway County gained a new fan tonight. They play my Purples tomorrow but I won't be mad if they win. I love their enthusiasm and spirit.

I can always fill you in on the real WKY.

It's safe to say we underestimated and underrated some WKY teams all year long. Lesson learned and will be applied in the future. I feel like Bowling Green will easily be a top 5 team next season.

Man, you just don't know how much I respect you for this comment alone... :thumb:

Not one school east of I-75 in the Elite 8 is there?

All of the Lexington schools are west of I-75 as well.

http://khsaa.org/football/realignment/20152018/fb15option16a.pdf

The only 6A schools east of I-75 in the state are Madison Central, GRC, Campbell County, Simon Kenton, and Boone County. The other 31 6A schools are west of I-75.

A better divider would be state route 55 that begins at Carrollton on the Ohio River and ends up at Lake Cumberland. It runs between Louisville and Lexington.

Kentucky Route 55 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You would then have 18 6A schools on the west of route 55 and 18 6A schools on the east of route 55.

The 5A map, which includes Owensboro and Bowling Green, is a similar scenario as well.

http://khsaa.org/football/realignment/20152018/fb15option15a.pdf