Congrats To Trinity Winning 4A State In Powerlfting

rock86

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The truth of all this; is that to be successful you need speed and strength, give me a kid that all he does is lift and not run he will get injured or be slow, give me a kid that only runs he will be week, give me one that does both and then I will have a football player.

However at the highschool level, and some in college you have those kids that are just talented which means that they can run and are strong without much effort, kids like this make some coaches or programs feel like they really know what they are talking about when it comes to strength and speed training. it is true speed kills, but alot of fast kids get killed in practice because they are week in the core area and the hips. I played 5 years of college and seen alot of the fastest kids standing on the sidelines, due to a pulled hamstring, groing injury, pulled hip flexor, tore out shoulder, etc... all injuries that you weight train to prevent.

Give me a track guy versus a player that powerlifted and weight trained as a football player in high school and I'll take odds on the experienced lifter to make it through a college playing career. (Successfully) My point in saying this is, too many kids that DO get to play at most any level of college, are overwhelmed with the strength programs when they arrive in college.

I don't agree with this. I would rather have the athletic guy as long as he has a good work ethic.

The truth of all this; is that to be successful you need speed and strength, give me a kid that all he does is lift and not run he will get injured or be slow, give me a kid that only runs he will be week, give me one that does both and then I will have a football player. .

This is the obvious correct answer in all of this. The thing to realize is that there are many very good high school and college ball players who have 'natural strength' and speed. That is, they are not the powerlifting champ or the track champ... they are just naturally good football players. They have instinct and natural ability. Needles to say, strength and speed are a necessity, I think being particularly strong in one of these areas covers up other weaknesses. If I were a college coach-Give me the guy that 'just can play the game' and I'll enhance the other areas.

I may get villified for this but I think that powerlifiting has its benefits and its problems.....for example I think that those that play both football and powerlift for Trinity have really lost quite a bit of their natural explosiveness. I like for our guys to be strong, but I want them to remain quick and explosive, which does not happen with our powerlifting team.

Excellent post and right on the money. :thumb:

I don't agree with this. I would rather have the athletic guy as long as he has a good work ethic.

I did not say "athletic guy" as I would have to say anyone would want the athletic guy. I said "track guy". The athletic guy would be ideal, we have to try to teach these guys how to get strong and athletic. The latter (athletic) is hard to teach as they say. I have had the "athletic" guy on teams before, he is the guy that "piddles" in the gym (if he ever goes) but when the day comes to max out he benches 300 or 400 and squats a house. Played with a couple running backs like Wendell Stewart (Doss & U of L) and Troy Thomas (McClean County HS) neither weighed more than 205 lbs. either.

I did not say "athletic guy" as I would have to say anyone would want the athletic guy. I said "track guy". The athletic guy would be ideal, we have to try to teach these guys how to get strong and athletic. The latter (athletic) is hard to teach as they say. I have had the "athletic" guy on teams before, he is the guy that "piddles" in the gym (if he ever goes) but when the day comes to max out he benches 300 or 400 and squats a house. Played with a couple running backs like Wendell Stewart (Doss & U of L) and Troy Thomas (McClean County HS) neither weighed more than 205 lbs. either.

Then what's your definition of a track guy. Track guys are usually athletic....

And I don't mean the athletic freaks that don't do anything but by natural strength can bench 400, I mean guys that have coordination and are skilled but aren't as strong, compared to powerlifters

The great thing about football is most of the time we can find a place to play a kid regardless of his body type or level of atheletic ability (not counting the extremely unathletic or small athletes and the ones that refuse to learn a positon or be coachable). Attitude is a football players most limiting factor in highschool and lifting or running track can teach someone to overcome adversity and develop a better attitude. What ever they are doing that gets them off the couch or away from the cigarettes and marijuana we are ahead of the game.

Then what's your definition of a track guy. Track guys are usually athletic....

And I don't mean the athletic freaks that don't do anything but by natural strength can bench 400, I mean guys that have coordination and are skilled but aren't as strong, compared to powerlifters

Remember Renaldo Nehemiah? I know that you will say that he was not a typical track guy playing football, but he really was. I say again that I am talking about the old school speed demons. We all know now that "track guys" have found the need for strength training and supplements(?) I am talking about a kid (with 6 months in the weight room) who can bench his 155 pound body weight. Believe me there are a lot of track guys that would be hard pressed to do that in high school.

I may get villified for this but I think that powerlifiting has its benefits and its problems.....for example I think that those that play both football and powerlift for Trinity have really lost quite a bit of their natural explosiveness. I like for our guys to be strong, but I want them to remain quick and explosive, which does not happen with our powerlifting team.

I agree, I won sthe state 2 years at X in my weight class and it stiffened me up big time, got to western and had to lift totally different, with flexibility. Most of the football players at X do not powerlift anymore, they have their own program.

I agree, I won sthe state 2 years at X in my weight class and it stiffened me up big time, got to western and had to lift totally different, with flexibility. Most of the football players at X do not powerlift anymore, they have their own program.

This is exactly my point. Overall opinion has changed dramatically in the past 4-5 years as well as 15-20 years. Most programs have increased flexibility and speed training incorporated into their weight programs. Short explosive movements that enhance those fast twitch muscles that are over looked in contemporary weight training. Lighter sets with higher reps worked in throughout the program. Elongating specific muscles to add flexibilty,etc.

This is what I did to get ready for ball as well.

How has St.X won 2 straight National powerlifting championships without football players? And why does St.X not lift in the KY meet?

LCA:fire: had a meet 2 weeks ago where they did 3 lifts. They were the squat ,power clean and the bench press. Scott County was the overall winner and they didn't break it down into classes. Alot of High school coaches don't like the deadlift. I've yet to see Highlands, Boyle ,Bowling Green Newport Catholic, Danville, Mayfield or Male at any of these meets.