Congrats To Trinity Winning 4A State In Powerlfting

rock86

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice way to take a thread congratulating young men for their work and tell them it was worthless.

Congratulations to the Trinity powerlifting team! Now they go to Oklahoma for the nationals, over spring break, don't they? Sounds like they are dedicated young men. Anyone have any info on the powerlifting program and Coach Maddox? Considering Trinity's run at football state championships, I don't think powerlifting is hurting their program at all. What about football conditioning? What's that program? Does Coach Maddox run that too?

Remember Renaldo Nehemiah? I know that you will say that he was not a typical track guy playing football, but he really was. I say again that I am talking about the old school speed demons. We all know now that "track guys" have found the need for strength training and supplements(?) I am talking about a kid (with 6 months in the weight room) who can bench his 155 pound body weight. Believe me there are a lot of track guys that would be hard pressed to do that in high school.

Actually I have no clue who you are talking about lol. I might be too young to know about this guy...

How has St.X won 2 straight National powerlifting championships without football players? And why does St.X not lift in the KY meet?

I am sure some still do but not many, most of the powerlifters do just that with Coach Traub.

How has St.X won 2 straight National powerlifting championships without football players? And why does St.X not lift in the KY meet?

St. X as well as many other schools choose not to participate due to the format. Most programs have dropped the "powerlifting" emphasis for more Olympic based or explosive lifts like Bench, Power Clean, and Parallel Squat.

The state meet still has bench and dead lift. MANY schools disagree with the fact that the dead lift is included and also that lifters are allowed to use the straddle technique. Most coaches perceive the straddle technique strictly as a method to increase poundage and not strength or power. It also breaks the "athletic position" that is a focus when the goal is sport specific strength.

FYI - St.X's powerlifting team does utilize the "Sumo" technique, which to some S & C guru's is equally as controversial as the straddle. And I heard from a St. X Asst coach that there are more football players than ever on the St. X powerlifting team.

St. X as well as many other schools choose not to participate due to the format. Most programs have dropped the "powerlifting" emphasis for more Olympic based or explosive lifts like Bench, Power Clean, and Parallel Squat.

The state meet still has bench and dead lift. MANY schools disagree with the fact that the dead lift is included and also that lifters are allowed to use the straddle technique. Most coaches perceive the straddle technique strictly as a method to increase poundage and not strength or power. It also breaks the "athletic position" that is a focus when the goal is sport specific strength.

FYI - St.X's powerlifting team does utilize the "Sumo" technique, which to some S & C guru's is equally as controversial as the straddle. And I heard from a St. X Asst coach that there are more football players than ever on the St. X powerlifting team.

Thanks for the interesting info kudo's to the rocks and here is to the St.X tigers bringing home a 3rd straight National championship to KY.

The straddle technique does not meet requirements in most powerlifting governing body's rules. The bar "must be horizontal in front of feet" is stated in most rules. Sumo is a recognized method of deadlifting, it does meet the basic requirement the the bar be placed in front of feet prior to start of lift. The straddle technique is generally a "safe" deadlift.....If taught correctly!!! Most of the lifters at the state meet using the straddle technique locked out too early (knees) and used ALL back risking very serious injuries just to gain those extra pounds. If it is a safety issue I agree 100% in using the straddle but I feel it is strictly to gain pounds on lift totals. I have taught the straddle technique to young lifters once they were ready to start deadlifting, sit on the bar, place feet slightly wider than shoulders and look straight upwards. Very good way for lifters to gain strngth and go conventional after gaining the lower body strength to handle some weight. Still I would prefer even the younger, inexperienced lifters to learn conventional deadlift and hone that skill.

Actually I have no clue who you are talking about lol. I might be too young to know about this guy...

Nehemiah was a world class sprinter in the late 70's early 80's. Decided to play NFL football for the 49ers. Short lived career after numerous dropped balls and the aversion to going across the middle and a couple hard knocks, Renaldo "Skeets" Nehemiah hung up the helmet and went quietly back to track to finish his career. "Bullet" Bob Hayes for the Dallas Cowboys gained a little success as did Tim Brown and some Tennessee Volunteer football/track guys. Overall though a "track" guy has a huge disadvantage in physically being able to withstand the rigors of football training and practice, let alone games.

Just for your information I have seen the kids From trinity lift and if they decided to compete in Power clean competitions they would probably win them as well as the squat. I am by no means a Trinity fan (not one tiny bit) but they have a great coach and the kids are coachable and work hard. Most of their lifters that do well just look like regular old kids, but they are strong. Congrats to them.

Most of their lifters that do well just look like regular old kids, but they are strong.

You must have watched our non-genetically recreated super star athletes. You know, the kids that come from all over the nation to attend Trinity. Wait until you see our real team lift. :D

I dunno, how did they have the best football team in St.X history according to their head coach and not win the state title? Stuff happens.:lol:

I dunno, how did they have the best football team in St.X history according to their head coach and not win the state title? Stuff happens.:lol:

Have you ever stumped your toe in the dark...strange things do happen, even when you think you've cleared the floor. ;)

Stuff happens like St.X will go for a 3rd straight National high school Powerlifting title in Iowa this June. My qusetion was already answered in an earlier thread.