13 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Royals
    • Giants

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Royals are an anomaly to how Baseball is played today. It is refreshing to see that a professional teams commitment to small-ball can work at the professional level. It has finally taken this team to put the message in flashing neon lights that the steroid era is over! You can win without a single and a bomb!

Two of the three lowest rated World Series included the Giants. The 2012 series with the Giants and the Tigers was the lowest all-time, with an average of 12M viewers. I would agree that putting the Royals in with the Giants will likely supplant 2012 as the least watched of all time. I'm sure Fox is instead hoping that the Royals can help generate the interest of 1980, when they Royals and Phillies series pulled in the most viewing average of 32M viewers per game.

I've heard several people say this about the Royals. All I can say in response is obviously you're not a baseball fan.

That' a poor response. I "AM" a baseball fan, and I could not tell you more than two. Until the playoffs, 99% of ALL Baseball fans outside of KC could not have told you more than two players!

Two of the three lowest rated World Series included the Giants. The 2012 series with the Giants and the Tigers was the lowest all-time, with an average of 12M viewers. I would agree that putting the Royals in with the Giants will likely supplant 2012 as the least watched of all time. I'm sure Fox is instead hoping that the Royals can help generate the interest of 1980, when they Royals and Phillies series pulled in the most viewing average of 32M viewers per game.

That is never going to happen again no matter what teams are in the World Series. Lots of places still did not have cable in 1980 and of course there was no Direct TV or Netflix or Internet or IPhones. I would be very surprised if this WS got a 12M average. Just the world we live in now.

I don't understand why the MLB waits nearly 7 days to start the WS.

I know the schedule is built out based on all the series going the distance. But I can't think of anything worse for the ratings than the League Championship series' being over for a week and a West Coast team (besides the Dodgers or Angels) being paired with a small market team. I've had to be reminded that baseball is even still going on, and I doubt I'll go out of my way to even watch a game. Plenty of reasons not to watch..he games start too late, it's too late in the year, games will last too long, etc, etc. Sure the Royals are a cool story. But I haven't seen them play a game all year. Baseball has to find a way to get their sport wrapped up by early October, rather than early November.

From what I'm gathering, both SF and KS were wild card teams going into the playoffs.

Was wondering since MLB first included wild card teams in the playoffs has there ever been a World Series with two wild card teams facing each other, or is the first time it has ever happened?

Offhand does anyone know the year that wild card teams were first introduced to the playoffs? I'm assuming it was when each league went from two divisions to three. I've lost track of just when that was.