Ref Makes a Mistake - Now What?

that is not a correctable error. It just as much the scorebook, and score board keeper fault as it is the Refs. Once the ball is live and has changed possesions, then this is an uncorrectable error

Which scenario are you referring to?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it. My rulebook is from 2001 and the definitions of a "try" from that year would go against the ruling you were given. I would think that definitions of 'try' and 'tap' have been pretty consistent throughout the years.

Not sure what occurred, but I know I attended a training with Larry Boucher, director of KHSAA officials, and he said the refs called no basket and game over.

I did say I thought the training was mid to late 90's, and that would be before your rulebook came out.

Not sure what occurred, but I know I attended a training with Larry Boucher, director of KHSAA officials, and he said the refs called no basket and game over.

I did say I thought the training was mid to late 90's, and that would be before your rulebook came out.

Yea, rules change quite often. There are new language and terminology, along with new rules and rule changes every year. The state clinic is dedicated to the issues every year. It is mandatory for officials seeking post-season assignments.

Yea, rules change quite often. There are new language and terminology, along with new rules and rule changes every year. The state clinic is dedicated to the issues every year. It is mandatory for officials seeking post-season assignments.

Also mandatory for coaches seeking to coach in the postseason.:D

I do not believe this is a reversible mistake.

Once the ball is in play, I believe the call stands as is.

Team B has possession of ball with 2 seconds left.

Refs, official scorer, coach and assistant coaches all shares in this responsibility

That's what I would say...too much has happened in between to try to go back and give the team another foul shot.

An interesting play that happened in mid 90's state championship game in South Carolina.

Team A is up by 1 point. Team B drives the length of the court and puts up a shot, Buzzer goes off. After the horn sounds and the ball is in flight, player from Team A touches the shot but DOES NOT goaltend. Ball continues on flight and goes through the hoop.

Team A is in disbelief, Team B is going crazy.

Who wins?

Fascinating scenario...and yes, I read the outcome...just decided to quote this post.

The second freethrow can be shot no matter what...saw this happen THIS year in a girl's game...and it affected the outcome of the game!!! The ball had been in play for two possessions and then the mistake was found and the team shot the freethrow...

Scenario 3:

Real-world example provided by HSSRB:

A1 shooting FT - misses - ball hits off of A2 and goes OOB - Team B's ball. B calls timeout to set up the inbounds play.

B1 takes the ball out of bounds. B2 runs out of bounds and B1 passes it to B2. B1 then runs inbounds and receives the pass from B2.

B1 drives and is fouled in the act of shooting by A3. Its the 5th foul on A3.

Coach from A now realizes that it was a spot throw-in and , thus, the play Team A ran was a violation.

What do you have? Fts or not? Where is the ball? Who has the ball? What do you do with A3?

I'm pretty certain it isnt a violation to throw the ball to another teammate out of bounds and then inbound it back to that player whom has stepped in play. Many teams run that play, passing across to the teammate stepping out of bounds and then inbounding it to the original inbounder. In fact I saw a Middle School game this season with the same scenerio on a spot throw in and during the flight of the ball across to the player stepping out of bounds to receive it, a player on the opposing team reached out and touched it and was assessed a technical foul for illegal touching.

I'm pretty certain it isnt a violation to throw the ball to another teammate out of bounds and then inbound it back to that player whom has stepped in play. Many teams run that play' date=' passing across to the teammate stepping out of bounds and then inbounding it to the original inbounder. In fact I saw a Middle School game this season with the same scenerio on a spot throw in and during the flight of the ball across to the player stepping out of bounds to receive it, a player on the opposing team reached out and touched it and was assessed a technical foul for illegal touching.[/quote']

You can only do that after a MADE basket or FT.

The second freethrow can be shot no matter what...saw this happen THIS year in a girl's game...and it affected the outcome of the game!!! The ball had been in play for two possessions and then the mistake was found and the team shot the freethrow...

"No matter what" is incorrect.

1. The fact that there were two possessions is not enough to decide if it was correct or not. Had there been a dead ball and then the ball put into play BEFORE they realized their error. If so, it cannot be corrected. IF not, it can be corrected.

2. The ref could have kicked the call.

I'm pretty certain it isnt a violation to throw the ball to another teammate out of bounds and then inbound it back to that player whom has stepped in play. Many teams run that play' date=' passing across to the teammate stepping out of bounds and then inbounding it to the original inbounder. In fact I saw a Middle School game this season with the same scenerio on a spot throw in and during the flight of the ball across to the player stepping out of bounds to receive it, a player on the opposing team reached out and touched it and was assessed a technical foul for illegal touching.[/quote']

It is a violation on a spot throw (2-12).

Secondly, it is not a T on the defense when they deflect a throw-in regardless of where the ball is or where the receiver of the pass is. Once the ball is released by the thrower, its free to be deflected/stolen/etc.

It is a violation on a spot throw (2-12).

Secondly, it is not a T on the defense when they deflect a throw-in regardless of where the ball is or where the receiver of the pass is. Once the ball is released by the thrower, its free to be deflected/stolen/etc.

The ball cannot be touched by the defense if it remains OUTSIDE the boundary line. The penalty is a technical foul.

Scenario:

Team A is winning by 1 point with 15 seconds left in the game. A1 gets fouled. He steps to the line and misses the first FT. B1 rebounds, dribbles the length of the floor and scores to put Team B up by 1. Team A inbounds, drives the length of the floor and A1 is called for charging. The clock shows 2 seconds left.

Team A's coach now realizes that team B had 10 fouls at the time of his player getting fouled and , thus, should have shot 2 FTs instead of the one-and-one.

Holy smokes. What do you do now as the ref?

What time goes on the clock?

What about the charging foul on A1 that was called?

The fans are going nuts. What's the call?

The refs and scorekeepers blew it, but they would not go back and shoot another free throw. Its irreversible.

Well, I'm wouldn't want to be on that officials crew because if that happened, they were wrong. " NO MATTER WHAT" is wrong, Sorry. I've got the rulebook right in front of me.

that is not a correctable error. It just as much the scorebook, and score board keeper fault as it is the Refs. Once the ball is live and has changed possesions, then this is an uncorrectable error

That is wrong too. Sorry.