Ref Makes a Mistake - Now What?

Scenario 3:

Real-world example provided by HSSRB:

A1 shooting FT - misses - ball hits off of A2 and goes OOB - Team B's ball. B calls timeout to set up the inbounds play.

B1 takes the ball out of bounds. B2 runs out of bounds and B1 passes it to B2. B1 then runs inbounds and receives the pass from B2.

B1 drives and is fouled in the act of shooting by A3. Its the 5th foul on A3.

Coach from A now realizes that it was a spot throw-in and , thus, the play Team A ran was a violation.

What do you have? Fts or not? Where is the ball? Who has the ball? What do you do with A3?

I would think not, and would give team A the ball under their own basket and keep A3 with 4 fouls.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is your answer from the rulebook. Rule 2-10-1 from the case book:

A1 is fouled but erroneously is not awarded 2 FT even thoughthe automatic bonus is in effect. Team A is given a throw-in, and A1 inbounds the ball to A2 who is tied upby B1 resulting in a held-ball situation. The error is discovered following the held-ball. The possesion arrow is pointing to:(a) Team A (b) Team B. RULING: In (a), the merited FT's will be awarded, and play will continue from that action, since Team A had not lost possesion between the error and when the error was reconized. However, in (b), the lane is cleared for A1's merited FTs, and play resumes from the point of interruption which is an alternating-possesion throw-in by Team B.

SITUATION B: A1 has been awared 2 FTs. Erroneously, the ball is allowed to remain in play after A1 misses the 1st attempt. A2 rebounds the miss and tossesthe ball through the basket. B1 secures the ball and inbounds it. Play continues until a foul is called on A2 as B is passing the ball in B's frontcourt. RULING: The goal by A2 counts, but the error of not awarding A1 a second FT is no longer correctable. Since the ball remained in play on the missed FT, the clock started and the ball became dead when the goal was scored. When the ball became live on the subsequent throw-in, the time period for correction had expired.

There are a few more different situation mentioned but these two are the closest to this thread.

Scenario 3:

Real-world example provided by HSSRB:

A1 shooting FT - misses - ball hits off of A2 and goes OOB - Team B's ball. B calls timeout to set up the inbounds play.

B1 takes the ball out of bounds. B2 runs out of bounds and B1 passes it to B2. B1 then runs inbounds and receives the pass from B2.

B1 drives and is fouled in the act of shooting by A3. Its the 5th foul on A3.

Coach from A now realizes that it was a spot throw-in and , thus, the play Team A ran was a violation.

What do you have? Fts or not? Where is the ball? Who has the ball? What do you do with A3?

That's just like missing a traveling violation.(Which they never do.) Can't overturn or turn around anything. A3 fouls out, B1 shoots two. Coach A's not happy. I think.

As in post 23, it does matter. Any touching of the ball by a player or the court signifies the end of the ball game.

They went over this play in a coaching/ref clinic in the late 90's. Most of us missed it. I thought the way you did.

I'll look it up real quick

Casebook: 5-6-1 SITUATION : While the ball is in flight during a try by A1, time for the quarter expires after which B1 touches the attempt on its upward flight toward the basket, however, the ball subsequently goes through the basket. RULING: The touching does NOT end the try. The goal is scored and counted. (4-41-4)

As in post 23, it does matter. Any touching of the ball by a player or the court signifies the end of the ball game.

They went over this play in a coaching/ref clinic in the late 90's. Most of us missed it. I thought the way you did.

Casebook: 5-6-1 SITUATION : While the ball is in flight during a try by A1, time for the quarter expires after which B1 touches the attempt on its upward flight toward the basket, however, the ball subsequently goes through the basket. RULING: The touching does NOT end the try. The goal is scored and counted. (4-41-4)

I wonder if this rule was changed after the play occured in the state tournament, I referenced.

My fault. I misread the scenario and thought that the teammate of the shooter tapped the ball.

I'd say the ruling that LBBC was given was incorrect without a doubt.

I wonder if this rule was changed after the play occured in the state tournament, I referenced.

I doubt it. My rulebook is from 2001 and the definitions of a "try" from that year would go against the ruling you were given. I would think that definitions of 'try' and 'tap' have been pretty consistent throughout the years.