Ref Makes a Mistake - Now What?

Scenario:

Team A is winning by 1 point with 15 seconds left in the game. A1 gets fouled. He steps to the line and misses the first FT. B1 rebounds, dribbles the length of the floor and scores to put Team B up by 1. Team A inbounds, drives the length of the floor and A1 is called for charging. The clock shows 2 seconds left.

Team A's coach now realizes that team B had 10 fouls at the time of his player getting fouled and , thus, should have shot 2 FTs instead of the one-and-one.

Holy smokes. What do you do now as the ref?

What time goes on the clock?

What about the charging foul on A1 that was called?

The fans are going nuts. What's the call?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're telling me, LBBC, that due to the scorekeeper and/or ref's mistake that Team B gets the ball with 2 seconds left? Team A does not get to shoot their 2nd shot that they had earned?

There are calls that are deemed reversible. But also if the ball is put in play, I believe the period to reverse them is over once the ball is put into play.

Similar mindset to the NFL's view on instant replay. That is why teams rush to snap the ball and prevent a call from being challenged.

Also, an assistant coach should have the reponsibility to make sure those situations are being called correctly. Some member of the coaching staff along with the ref/scorekeeper should have responsibility in the scenario you painted.

Not correct.

There is a time period but I am exactly unsure of what it is. You can't replay 3 or 5 minutes of action. I am assuming that it makes logical sense ball in play.

I can't see them finding the same mistake you have detailed occurring with 6 minutes left to go in the game and they don't discover it till 2 minutes left and they replay the 4 minutes.

Called an official friend of mine that has been officiating for over 20 years. He said,

Once the basket was made by team B and Team A inbounded it, the time period for it to be corrected ceases.

The rule is that you can correct a mistake until the ball is put back in to play after a dead ball.

When the shot was made, it temporarily became dead until Team A grabbed the ball and inbounded it. It became live again and thus negated correcting the mistake.

At this point, Team B's ball and they are up by 1.

I just talked to a Coach in Ohio. He said that it is correctable, regardless of what has happened, but what transpired in between stays. Therefore, the time stays at :02, Team "B" is up 1, and "A1" goes back to the line for his / her second free throw.

How's that for confusing?

I just talked to a Coach in Ohio. He said that it is correctable, regardless of what has happened, but what transpired in between stays. Therefore, the time stays at :02, Team "B" is up 1, and "A1" goes back to the line for his / her second free throw.

How's that for confusing?

Two different basketball people giving two different answers. Interesting.

Does he say that they are shooting the one like you would a technical. Noone at the line and then team B gains possession or ball is in play via rebound/or taking the ball out after the FT.