Ref Makes a Mistake - Now What?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been in a game where the ref didn't allow a second shot. Team A missed the first, team B rebounded and got a layup. the scorekeeper(s) called the referees over. They decided the time on the clock at that time stayed and the basket counted. and team A got another shot from the line. Not sure if this is the correct way to go about it. But it's what happened.

This happened a couple of years ago to Johnson Central. It is a correctable error as long as the mistake is caught by the first dead ball. After play resumes following the the first dead ball the error is no longer correctable. All points stay on the board and the game resumes following the free throw as if nothing had happened. This came straight from the KHSAA about 4 years ago.

The ball cannot be touched by the defense if it remains OUTSIDE the boundary line. The penalty is a technical foul.

If you are saying that the play described (A1 passing to A2 who is oob and the pass is deflected by B2 while the ball is on the OOB side of the endline), I disagree. I believe the rule you may be referring to only applies while the thrower has the ball and that once the ball is thrown , it is OK for the defender to deflect it regardless of where it is. The definitions section says the throw-in ends once the pass is released.

I will check with some refs I trust.

that is not a correctable error. It just as much the scorebook, and score board keeper fault as it is the Refs. Once the ball is live and has changed possesions, then this is an uncorrectable error

What about this:

Team A should be shooting 2 foul shots. After the first shot, B1 rebounds and takes the ball down the floor, shoots and misses, A2 rebounds, brings the ball down , shoots and misses. B2 rebounds but his pass is intercepted. Coach from A now calls TO and says there should have been a 2nd shot.

Correctable?

If you are saying that the play described (A1 passing to A2 who is oob and the pass is deflected by B2 while the ball is on the OOB side of the endline), I disagree. I believe the rule you may be referring to only applies while the thrower has the ball and that once the ball is thrown , it is OK for the defender to deflect it regardless of where it is. The definitions section says the throw-in ends once the pass is released.

I will check with some refs I trust.

The first official I checked with says that once the ball is released, it is not a T if it is touched/deflected by the defense even if its on the OOB side of the endline.

What about this:

Team A should be shooting 2 foul shots. After the first shot, B1 rebounds and takes the ball down the floor, shoots and misses, A2 rebounds, brings the ball down , shoots and misses. B2 rebounds but his pass is intercepted. Coach from A now calls TO and says there should have been a 2nd shot.

Correctable?

Once Team A has has the ball after Team B has already turned it over or missed the shot it is not correctable. This situation hardly ever happens. There is too many people in the gym to know that there was 2 shots. There was rule change over summer about "correctable errors."

Once Team A has has the ball after Team B has already turned it over or missed the shot it is not correctable. This situation hardly ever happens. There is too many people in the gym to know that there was 2 shots. There was rule change over summer about "correctable errors."

I don't think the change of possession has an effect.

The call is correctable as long as the ball does not become live after being dead after the error. So, in my example (you are correct that this would be rare) the ball never became live after it became dead.

The second FT would be shot and Team A would have the ball due to them having the ball at the time of the interruption.

By the "Rule Book" the ball becomes live once the ball is handed to the FT-Shooter by the official. The clock may not be running the ball is live. Its a very confusing rule and is misinterepted by many people. But I believe we are both right on this situation. =)

By the "Rule Book" the ball becomes live once the ball is handed to the FT-Shooter by the official. The clock may not be running the ball is live. Its a very confusing rule and is misinterepted by many people. But I believe we are both right on this situation. =)

OK. But the fact that a possession change occurs is not in itself enough to say that you cannot correct the call, right?