Rob Manfred Elected New MLB Commissioner

Interesting note about this....Needed 23 of the 30 teams to vote for the new commissioner for it to pass. After the first several votes, it was stalled at 22-8. The Reds were one of the 8 teams that continued to holdout on electing Manfred until the end.

Now this isn't a big deal IMO, but from a Cincinnati perspective, could Manfred hold firm on the Pete Rose banishment as a "payback" of sorts for them not supporting his candidacy?

Interesting note about this....Needed 23 of the 30 teams to vote for the new commissioner for it to pass. After the first several votes, it was stalled at 22-8. The Reds were one of the 8 teams that continued to holdout on electing Manfred until the end.

Now this isn't a big deal IMO, but from a Cincinnati perspective, could Manfred hold firm on the Pete Rose banishment as a "payback" of sorts for them not supporting his candidacy?

Have only heard one little soundbite so far, but when he said he hoped to "continue the legacy" of Selig...well, I can't really type here what I said. But, I think you can guess.

Serious question. I know Pete rose being reinstated or not reinstated is a talking point, but how big of a deal is it really when trying to determine what a Commissioner can bring to a table? It gets a lot of pub, but baseball has around 100 other pressing issues (eg. decline in popularity, PEDs, Union negotiations, etc.) they need to address before worrying if a degenerate gambler is allowed in to the HOF.

This guy has been the point man on Labor Relations, he get's along well with the union (maybe too well if you ask Jerry Reinsdorf) and owners want to keep the labor situation stable as the last strike/lockout nearly killed baseball.

And doing just that will be what ends baseball. They have to get these player contracts under control (especially guaranteed $) or the game will implode. $30 mill for a pitcher? Tulo making $20 mill and playing half the games? yikes.

And doing just that will be what ends baseball. They have to get these player contracts under control (especially guaranteed $) or the game will implode. $30 mill for a pitcher? Tulo making $20 mill and playing half the games? yikes.

The Union in baseball runs the show.