John Wall Throwing Gang Signs

JokersWild24

Wall has done zero to diminish the UK brand. That's just ridiculous to say. Unless, we're now considering donating $1M to charities in his professional city a dump, than I guess we can lump Boogie and Anthony Davis in that group as well.

Fair. For now, I'll still err on the side of caution and agree to disagree though.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong about Wall and that I'm being stupid about the whole thing, and I certainly do mean that.

If I am wrong, and judging by some of the responses I'm getting, it would seem I'm overreacting, I'd still rather be wrong about it and admit such. I've been wrong before, and this will neither be the first nor last time it happens. Regardless, I do apologize if I was inflammatory in discussing the whole topic.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now if he had gang tatoos, ala Aaron Hernandez, then Id have a huge issue

Weird, he doesn't wear #5, but has '5 Deep' tattooed over his city. He got those tattoos once in the pros too.

DeShawn Stevenson has two 5's on each side of his neck, which struck people as weird since Lincoln is in the middle and it resembles a bill. But why wouldn't he get something big like a $100. Oh yea... the Pittsburgh Pirates symbol on his face is backwards too. That wouldn't mean Piru Blood (one of the original factions that formed the Bloods) though, his artist probably just has dyslexia.

He and Wall must really like the money type font on the 5 too.

I'm a huge UK fan and wouldn't put someone on blast if I thought there was a good chance that what I was saying could be easily explained some other way.

Wall5.jpg

So he has gang sign tattoos....Again, why is that a big deal? Who cares? What does that have to do with anything?

I'd be less concerned if it was something he did as a kid that's essentially permanent and can't be taken back. This is something that he chose to do once he was already in the league and basically had things made. He made it to that point without the tattoo, why get it later?

I'd also say that this isn't something that tons of guys in the NBA outwardly seem to be as wrapped up in as he is. Sure, there are players that are strongly suspected, but I'd say that the list is in the teens if we're talking about outwardly exhibiting it to that level. Those pictures of "signs" aren't just a one or two time thing, they're something that you'll see him do more than once (look at some of the lockout mix tapes).

You just don't want to see it end in a situation like Hernandez or Crittendon at worst (both really extreme because I don't think Wall is a killer or as deep into things they appear to have been), Paul Pierce or Tony Allen where it's a "wrong place, wrong time" (being stabbed repeatedly and/or in an altercation where a member of your entourage shoots someone in the arm during an argument at a nightclub and you end up getting death threats that league security isn't taking lightly practically every time you return to Chicago to do your job) or even DeSean Jackson, which is mild if nothing further comes out, but hurt his wallet and image if nothing else.

You ask me what the big deal, who cares, or what it has to do with anything, and while I might not have satisfactorily answered that, I'm not sure how it isn't somewhat as valid for me to flip the question and ask you why it isn't a bigger deal, why no one should care, or why it doesn't have anything to do with anything. Not something that you have to answer, just saying that is a way of me trying to think through your position myself.

Assuming that what I've pointed out and some of the thoughts that would naturally follow are basically true, and assuming you had children (I don't know if you do or not, just saying for purposes of a hypothetical), would you want them idolizing Wall?

Just from a purely selfish standpoint, and maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I'd rather that guys as prominently associated with the program at least tone down that sort of thing. Even if he still lives the whole life, it's something that goes with the territory. We get older and have to conform to things like work dress codes. Part of it. He doesn't have to take the NBA money, the endorsement checks, or the scholarship to UK. If he isn't doing that, no one really cares. Personally, seeing how he's carried himself and debating it isn't making me want to go out and buy something he's endorsed (and I'm sure his pocketbook isn't going to miss my contribution).

Again, I don't know Wall's situation past what I've read or heard in his interviews, but at risk of being presumptuous, I would at least think I can begin to understand how the some type of gang mentality could have been something that he essentially had no choice but to be involved in on some level. It's like a commentator said about DeSean Jackson when he was quoted (and I'm paraphrasing), "he went to high school at Poly in Los Angeles, everyone there knew someone with gang affiliations on some level, it was somewhat unavoidable, and I'm sure that some of those people helped him in some way and/or were really there for him when they needed him". That part is understood (at least I think).

What's concerning for me is if he feels that the kinds of things he's doing as a tribute/show of solidarity are getting to the level they are. I get that he wants to be there for those who were there for him, I really do. I just don't see how the ends aren't just as well met if it's getting a family member or close friend out of a rough neighborhood by putting down a down payment on a house, hooking someone up with some type of nepotistic job opportunity, or paying for their kid's education expenses. Wouldn't that do more than showing solidarity by getting the same tattoo or showing the same hand signals?

For me, as someone who will never have a fraction of the wealth that he's now acquired, those are better examples than being publicized doing things that could end up catching up to him in the way other actions could.

^I can easily answer your question. It isn't a big deal to me, because I care 0 about what athletes do in their spare-time, what type of people they are, and generally about anything that involves them outside of what they do on the court/field/etc.

As far as the kids aspect, a) I don't have kids yet, and b) anyone who allows their children to look up to an athlete (as a role model or idol) is doing a poor job of parenting IMO.

^I can easily answer your question. It isn't a big deal to me, because I care 0 about what athletes do in their spare-time, what type of people they are, and generally about anything that involves them outside of what they do on the court/field/etc.

As far as the kids aspect, a) I don't have kids yet, and b) anyone who allows their children to look up to an athlete (as a role model or idol) is doing a poor job of parenting IMO.

Fair.

Desean Jackson's explanation for the "hand gestures" he displays during NFL games:

DeSean Jackson of Washington Redskins says hand gestures not gang-related - ESPN

May be true, may be just a cover up. Either way, as I previously stated, 99% of people who see these gestures either have no idea what they mean or don't care what he is doing with his hands besides catching a football.

Desean Jackson's explanation for the "hand gestures" he displays during NFL games:

DeSean Jackson of Washington Redskins says hand gestures not gang-related - ESPN

May be true, may be just a cover up. Either way, as I previously stated, 99% of people who see these gestures either have no idea what they mean or don't care what he is doing with his hands besides catching a football.

That's fine, but even if people don't know what they mean, kids are impressionable and might learn-- they're smarter than adults give them credit for sometimes. How many kids did the "John Wall dance"? How many kids in DC do you think imitate him (probably more of a concern with the signs than for kids in Kentucky).

I really don't care what Wall does as long as it doesn't embarrass UK (at least to the point I'm debating it like I am now), but I'm honestly not going to be surprised if there's a time when this pops up again. 99% of people may not know or care, but the 1% that does mind could end up making a really ugly scene.

IMO, emulating the actions of an NBA player does not equate to looking up to them (i.e. having a reverent respect for them). So, it is a problem if young kids (who know no better) are throwing up gang signs after scoring a bucket in a game....because an NBA player does it. I'm not surprised by the short-sightedness of pro athletes and their seemingly unwillingness to understand the trickle down effect of their actions.

That's fine, but even if people don't know what they mean, kids are impressionable and might learn-- they're smarter than adults give them credit for sometimes. How many kids did the "John Wall dance"? How many kids in DC do you think imitate him (probably more of a concern with the signs than for kids in Kentucky).

I really don't care what Wall does as long as it doesn't embarrass UK (at least to the point I'm debating it like I am now), but I'm honestly not going to be surprised if there's a time when this pops up again. 99% of people may not know or care, but the 1% that does mind could end up making a really ugly scene.

Clearly...:D