Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

John Wall Throwing Gang Signs

Featured Replies

  • Author
It must be an Adidas thing. All the Adidas players he's with down there are doing the same thing...

 

 

So I guess these are just sign language and not his attempts to stack too?

 

Probably just sign language for the deaf people in the crowd. I'm as much of a UK fan as anyone, but I can call a spade a spade.

 

If no one wants to watch the videos, that's fine, I can link pictures too. What Wall is doing in those is definitely not something more akin to chunking some deuces or a wave like the guys in the picture you linked are doing.

 

 

 

Wall1.jpg

 

 

Wall2.jpg

 

 

Wall3.jpg

 

 

Wall4.jpg

 

 

Wall5.jpg

 

 

Wall6.jpg

  • Replies 106
  • Views 32.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now if he had gang tatoos, ala Aaron Hernandez, then Id have a huge issue

UK fans, this isn't a "3 Goggles".

 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45518[/ATTACH]

 

The ref is doing something fishy too, must be a crip

Could you decipher the hand signs for us?

 

Is he ordering a "Hit"?

Joker I do trust your opinion cause you do live in a fairly gang populated place. But I really don't think it's a huge deal

  • Author
Joker, tell me why I (or anyone for that matter) should care?

 

 

I can't tell you how to feel personally, that's not my job at all.

 

I'm just saying, it's pretty obvious that Wall has, time and time again, not been "throwing three goggles" or some kind of "Adidas sign".

 

If I'm an Adidas rep and I fly him to the World Cup and pictures are leaking of him doing that kind of thing while he's representing my company, then I'm probably having a talk with he and/or his agent.

 

Just from the perspective of his own self interest: even if it's just a thing for show, then it's not something that most would see as adding value to his career. Sure, he's great now, but one day his physical ability is going to be eroded to the point where he needs to be a leader for his teammates and/or a model for his franchise and he's not helping himself there. Look at DeSean Jackson, a guy who is still really talented, but just got dropped by Philadelphia.

 

His own self interest aside, I think it's something that someone who has a lot of people who look up to them should be doing (if nothing else, in such a public manner). Even if he didn't choose it, he's a role model to lots of kids in places like D.C. and I think we could agree that he's not really setting the best example for them by glorifying gang life. If he's that whatever about the whole thing, I'm somewhat unsure as to why he has to be so public with it, especially when cashing paychecks from both the NBA and Adidas.

 

It seems like he'd learn from the mistakes of guys like Javaris Crittenton, who was an honor student in high school but is now back in prison on drug charges (caught with 400 kilos of cocaine) after he revoked his bond for shooting a woman, or Michael Vick, who is still trying to repair his image after dog fighting charges. Even though Vick's activity wasn't "gang activity" per se, it still serves as an example of a guy who could have seen that he finally had it made and walked away from some things he maybe had to do in the past just to get by.

 

I can at least try to understand if he grew up rough, had people affiliated who looked out for him, etc., but I'm not sure I can understand why it isn't easier just to take his money and friends, and just "go soft", even if it means moving them all into some 'burb with him and getting out of all of that. What's really left to prove?

The guy has donated $1million to local DC charities, made a little girl's dream come true by helping her meet Nicki Minaj (through the Make-a-Wish Foundation), and has been actively involved with the youth back in Raleigh... just a fraction of his philanthropic efforts I can think of off the top of my head.

 

Stop speculating that he is some hardened gang member based on how he positions his fingers/hands (especially when you haven't even identified what these "gang signs" supposedly mean). His past behavior and acts of service over the years indicate he is a classy individual. If these were truly "gang signs" that he is "stacking", do you think the NBA would have ignored this kind of behavior during the season? Considering they fine players big $$$ for flopping, I highly doubt they would turn a blind eye if his signs had some sort of gang meaning.

 

Joker, I'm sure you know far more about gangs and related signage than I do, but I think you're over-thinking this one a bit.

I can't tell you how to feel personally, that's not my job at all.

 

I'm just saying, it's pretty obvious that Wall has, time and time again, not been "throwing three goggles" or some kind of "Adidas sign".

 

If I'm an Adidas rep and I fly him to the World Cup and pictures are leaking of him doing that kind of thing while he's representing my company, then I'm probably having a talk with he and/or his agent.

 

Just from the perspective of his own self interest: even if it's just a thing for show, then it's not something that most would see as adding value to his career. Sure, he's great now, but one day his physical ability is going to be eroded to the point where he needs to be a leader for his teammates and/or a model for his franchise and he's not helping himself there. Look at DeSean Jackson, a guy who is still really talented, but just got dropped by Philadelphia.

 

His own self interest aside, I think it's something that someone who has a lot of people who look up to them should be doing (if nothing else, in such a public manner). Even if he didn't choose it, he's a role model to lots of kids in places like D.C. and I think we could agree that he's not really setting the best example for them by glorifying gang life. If he's that whatever about the whole thing, I'm somewhat unsure as to why he has to be so public with it, especially when cashing paychecks from both the NBA and Adidas.

 

It seems like he'd learn from the mistakes of guys like Javaris Crittenton, who was an honor student in high school but is now back in prison on drug charges (caught with 400 kilos of cocaine) after he revoked his bond for shooting a woman, or Michael Vick, who is still trying to repair his image after dog fighting charges. Even though Vick's activity wasn't "gang activity" per se, it still serves as an example of a guy who could have seen that he finally had it made and walked away from some things he maybe had to do in the past just to get by.

 

I can at least try to understand if he grew up rough, had people affiliated who looked out for him, etc., but I'm not sure I can understand why it isn't easier just to take his money and friends, and just "go soft", even if it means moving them all into some 'burb with him and getting out of all of that. What's really left to prove?

 

Not meaning you specifically, but I think this is a situation of people looking for things to get upset about. If I see Wall making those gestures, I have no clue what they mean, none, and nor do I care. I just assume he's doing something I'm not "hip" enough to understand, and move on with my day.

  • Author
Joker I do trust your opinion cause you do live in a fairly gang populated place. But I really don't think it's a huge deal

 

 

That's fair. I'm as much of a UK fan as there is, but I'm not amused by it.

 

If that's what he's going to do, I'm just as fine with getting a kid like Brandon Knight or Alex Poythress who is still a McDonald's All American and not winning as many games as I would with someone who'll represent the brand in the way Wall has so far.

 

IF he had a rough upbringing, I'm sure he isn't the first UK player who MIGHT have had things tough, but he's one of the few that just makes me shake my head sometimes. I saw the picture last night and seriously shook my head and thought, "and everyone says Cousins is a bad egg". If you read many of my posts, you know that Cousins is one of my all-time favorite players, so that's not a knock on him at all, just one of those things that makes me roll my eyes.

 

I think a large part of it is probably because, on one hand, I've represented people who've really been in gangs, have rap sheets that are 5-10 pages, have done real time at some serious Texas prisons that are no joke, but who've scrapped and clawed and feel fortunate to get a job washing dishes or busing tables but still genuinely seem to feel blessed just to be where they are because they're making it honest. On the other hand, I see a guy who has it made but doesn't always make the best choices (at least in my opinion) just perpetuate the cycle by glorifying that type of thing, then yes, I'm a little frustrated when that person is one of the more recognizable faces of my alma mater.

  • Author
What has he taken a "Dump on"?

 

 

That was unfair of me to say, and I edited it, but don't mind addressing it either.

 

I don't know Wall or his situation past what I've read or video clips I've seen. I know he's a guy who had a childhood that most wouldn't envy and that it's unfair of me to act like I completely understand.

 

I made the comment about "taking a dump on" the tradition of UK because he isn't the first and won't be the last talented player who had what many might consider to be a less than desirable upbringing due to circumstances beyond his control, but I do think that he's one of the few who stands out in terms of not representing the brand well once he's moved on to bigger and better things, and I'll just leave it at that.

 

Even without "pay for play", he was a big time college athlete at a major university, and I'd bet my life he wasn't exactly starving during his days at UK. Even if he never went pro, he probably could have graduated, retired to Lexington, and lived a comfortable life.

 

As an alum, if nothing else, I'd wish that he'd not represent himself in the way that he has (and he could probably say the same thing for me, so who am I to judge???). I will say that I wish Wall the best, he's still a member of the BBN, etc., but it'd still be refreshing to see him carry himself in a more positive manner.

I don't see anything he has done to diminish UK since he left...unless throwing obscure hand gestures in some way diminishes UK in some way.

Wall has done zero to diminish the UK brand. That's just ridiculous to say. Unless, we're now considering donating $1M to charities in his professional city a dump, than I guess we can lump Boogie and Anthony Davis in that group as well.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.