Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom

I get it but come on I give the kid mad props . Take the suspension 10 years from now its a great story. I think a detention would of sufficed but if he disregarded a direct order I get it. I still love the guts it took .

We agree. Great story down the road.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He wasn't suspended for asking Miss America to the prom. That is why it is misleading.

Um, yes he was. He doesn't pose the question and he doesn't get suspended.

You can go ahead and say, "But he was told not to. He was suspended for ignoring (whoever said not to)." And you would be engaging in silly semantics.

Told not to do it, he did, got suspended. He deserved it. Kids need to learn that somewhere down the road there are consequences for doing stuff your told not to do, especially when it's ahead of time. Sometimes the high profile people want to engage in actual educational discussions, which I'm sure what the school wanted. The school didn't want a class clown this day.

Told not to do it, he did, got suspended. He deserved it. Kids need to learn that somewhere down the road there are consequences for doing stuff your told not to do, especially when it's ahead of time. Sometimes the high profile people want to engage in actual educational discussions, which I'm sure what the school wanted. The school didn't want a class clown this day.

While I mostly agree with your post, I have to take exception to the "class clown/educational discussions" for Miss America comment.

Um, we're talking about a beauty pageant winner, not a serious person. She may have won the biggest pageant there is, but that doesn't make her anything more than a pretty face. If we were talking about a question posed to an important world leader or something, OK.

Don't put a beauty pageant winner in front of a bunch of hormonally-charged boys and expect them to act like she's Indira Gandhi.

While I mostly agree with your post, I have to take exception to the "class clown/educational discussions" for Miss America comment.

Um, we're talking about a beauty pageant winner, not a serious person. She may have won the biggest pageant there is, but that doesn't make her anything more than a pretty face. If we were talking about a question posed to an important world leader or something, OK.

Don't put a beauty pageant winner in front of a bunch of hormonally-charged boys and expect them to act like she's Indira Gandhi.

Got to take exception to the bolded part Jim. Just because she won Miss America and is a "pretty face" doesn't mean she is dumb, which I believe you are indicating or how it comes across to me anyway. As matter of fact she may be quite intelligent, though I don't have anything to base that on. Are all pretty people just pretty faces and not "serious" people? I'm not even quite sure what your "not a series person" in your post means?:idunno:

For the dads out there how big of a punishment do you give your kid for doing this?

Not a dad... but I'd give him something nominal for defying a direct instruction from a school administrator. Nothing terribly harsh.

For the dads out there how big of a punishment do you give your kid for doing this?

I'm not a father, but I think the punishment, if any, would depend on how the kid generally behaves. Both boys & men do stupid things when beautiful women are involved.

NINA.jpg

She asked the school to reconsider its punishment:

Miss America Nina Davuluri asks school to reconsider suspension of student who asked her to prom | syracuse.com

Here is the text of the statement:

A message from Miss America 2014 Nina Davuluri: "On Thursday, a student invited me to prom and gave me a flower while I was giving a presentation in York, Pennsylvania. I was flattered by the gesture although I am unfortunately unable to attend due to my travel schedule. I later learned of the disciplinary action taken and reached out to the school in hopes that they will reconsider their decision."

"Meeting and interacting with students across the country has been an important and rewarding part of my year as Miss America. I always encourage students to follow their dreams through education, and I'm inspired daily by the enthusiasm and aspirations of the bright young adults I have the pleasure of meeting through my travels."

Got to take exception to the bolded part Jim. Just because she won Miss America and is a "pretty face" doesn't mean she is dumb, which I believe you are indicating or how it comes across to me anyway. As matter of fact she may be quite intelligent, though I don't have anything to base that on. Are all pretty people just pretty faces and not "serious" people? I'm not even quite sure what your "not a series person" in your post means?:idunno:

Forgive me if I'm not calling on Miss America for her expertise in anything, unless it's how to look pretty. She may be a very intelligent person. Hell, she may be a MENSA member for all I know. But that's not why she won Miss America. And that's not why she makes public appearances at schools, parades, state fairs and other feel-good type events.