Who's next?

LRCW

Alex Poythress can play the three. And I wouldn't be shocked to see a lineup (maybe not to start) of:

Harrison

Booker

Harrison

Insert any big

Insert any big

The way Calipari runs his teams, you aren't really defined by a position.

Heck I can see a lineup of:

Harrison

Booker/Harrison

Towns

WCS

Dakari

So many options if the Twins come back.

Oh I completely agree, just was passing along what Rex keeps saying on twitter. He says "no" everytime someone mentions Poythress as a 3. Honestly, in Cal's system (as you mentioned) guys are pretty much interchangeable at certain spots. The combinations of lineups are endless if the twins come back.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That, and guaranteed money. The longer you stay in school, the more time teams have to see your flaws and dissect your game. You never know what could happen injury wise either. Go, get the guaranteed $3-4M over the next 3 years, and get to that 2nd contract. If it doesn't work out, you've banked more than enough to go back and finish your degree and make a solid life for yourself outside of basketball.

Other than starting the clock on your second contract I'm not sure I agree. Short of the injury if you're a first rounder now you probably will be next year and you could improve. Chances are you aren't going to decline so much that you drop to the second or undrafted status. Yes, it could happen but I think you take the risk. I'm strictly talking about someone that would go in that 25-30 range.

Oh I completely agree, just was passing along what Rex keeps saying on twitter. He says "no" everytime someone mentions Poythress as a 3. Honestly, in Cal's system (as you mentioned) guys are pretty much interchangeable at certain spots. The combinations of lineups are endless if the twins come back.

My bad. I should have included, I don't agree with Rex. Didn't mean it to seem like I was directing that at you.

Other than starting the clock on your second contract I'm not sure I agree. Short of the injury if you're a first rounder now you probably will be next year and you could improve. Chances are you aren't going to decline so much that you drop to the second or undrafted status. Yes, it could happen but I think you take the risk. I'm strictly talking about someone that would go in that 25-30 range.

James Michael McAdoo disagrees.

Think about it....If a major company in your field came to you after your first year of college and offered you a position making $3-4M over a three year period, and then after that your employment depended on how those 3 years went, you'd turn that down?

Couldn't possibly disagree more. If you're a 1st round pick, regardless of class, it's in your best interest to head to the league.

Generally, I agree with you. If you're a first round pick, you go; however, I feel differently with Dakari. Dakari has good skills, he's just not physically ready for the NBA. He's not a guaranteed first round pick. At his age, he could likely turn his body into a lottery pick within a couple years.

With that said, there's no better place to improve your body & overall game than in the NBA. I just think Dakari would have gone straight to the D League where he'd likely fade into oblivion.

James Michael McAdoo disagrees.

Think about it....If a major company in your field came to you after your first year of college and offered you a position making $3-4M over a three year period, and then after that your employment depended on how those 3 years went, you'd turn that down?

Your not including all the variables in the decision. Remember I said 25-30 draft range but let's consider 20-30. That puts your money at $3.8 for the 20 pick and $2.8 for the 30 pick.

Major company comes to you and offers you a 3 year contract totaling $3MM. At the end of that 3 years it's possible they will sign for a 4th year and you will make another $1.9. However they could also cut you loose with not more money. Your other option is to decline and go back to school for one year with the chance you will get a 3 year offer for starting at $5MM and possibly as much as $6.5MM.

Your not including all the variables in the decision. Remember I said 25-30 draft range but let's consider 20-30. That puts your money at $3.8 for the 20 pick and $2.8 for the 30 pick.

Major company comes to you and offers you a 3 year contract totaling $3MM. At the end of that 3 years it's possible they will sign for a 4th year and you will make another $1.9. However they could also cut you loose with not more money. Your other option is to decline and go back to school for one year with the chance you will get a 3 year offer for starting at $5MM and possibly as much as $6.5MM.

The option you're leaving out is that you come back and your stock drops out of the first round and you're guaranteed nothing.

I would think we should here something about the twins tomorrow. This weekend is the spring football game and I don't think its right to take away the spotlight from the football program while BBN waits for a decision. That's just my opinion.

Alex Poythress can play the three. And I wouldn't be shocked to see a lineup (maybe not to start) of:

Harrison

Booker

Harrison

Insert any big

Insert any big

The way Calipari runs his teams, you aren't really defined by a position.

Heck I can see a lineup of:

Harrison

Booker/Harrison

Towns

WCS

Dakari

So many options if the Twins come back.

Here is what Coach Cal had to say on playing next year:

There’s two pieces to this. One, we are going to have a team that knows what to expect. We’re going to have a team that has an expectation that is built on past performance. That’s different than hope. We will be playing more people because there will be more people to play. Marcus Lee needs to be on that court. But so does Willie, Dakari and Karl. So we will play two of them together and maybe three. Trey and Alex deserve to play. It’s a great issue that we’ll deal with.