Lincoln County Open

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Lincoln has had some really good players in the past, some of which would have helped Danville or Boyle.

Ha. By the same token, Boyle and Danville have had some players over the years that would have helped Lincoln.

I personally think anybody should be able to go to school wherever they want, so long as the receiving school wants them. I don't think Lincoln County's six straight losing seasons has anything to do with players going elsewhere.

Bottom line they must hire a winner. I do not know if anyone out there other than the privates, and or a school with deep tradition of winning can explain hiring an established coach and inherit their sick days. Boyle made that commitment because they want to WIN. But in today's climate when teachers have not had raises in 7 or 8 years it is hard to hire someone that might have a couple of hundred sick days. Most coaches have assistants ready to be a head coach and it is imperative today to cultivate all that want to do it.

Bottom line they must hire a winner. I do not know if anyone out there other than the privates, and or a school with deep tradition of winning can explain hiring an established coach and inherit their sick days. Boyle made that commitment because they want to WIN. But in today's climate when teachers have not had raises in 7 or 8 years it is hard to hire someone that might have a couple of hundred sick days. Most coaches have assistants ready to be a head coach and it is imperative today to cultivate all that want to do it.

What does sick days have to do with hiring a coach?

I'm not sure about the sick days comment either? Are you saying that Chuck Smith being out of teaching for those few years, that he somehow was able to reinstitute his sick days?

As far as the raises, it's been even longer for most places.

I know of several places who have either had NO raise or very little (as in, 1-2K) in even the last 12-15 years.

I was told today that there have been several applications submitted for the head coaching position. The committe will now begin researching the applicants. I was not told who they are, nor do I think they will release the names of those who have applied.

If you hire a coach that has not retired, but is rehired they also bring their sick days with them. While it may not seem like much it can cost the district many thousand dollars. I do not want to get into the total but it may surprise some and the way it can impact that persons retirement. I am not saying any particular coach or teacher it is the same but it is a daily rate x number of sick days divided by .30. In some cases with coaches stipend and extended days can add up. Just a difficult climate to hire a coach that has established themselves, and today you do not see many reach the point of getting tenure in many cases.

If you hire a coach that has not retired, but is rehired they also bring their sick days with them. While it may not seem like much it can cost the district many thousand dollars. I do not want to get into the total but it may surprise some and the way it can impact that persons retirement. I am not saying any particular coach or teacher it is the same but it is a daily rate x number of sick days divided by .30. In some cases with coaches stipend and extended days can add up. Just a difficult climate to hire a coach that has established themselves, and today you do not see many reach the point of getting tenure in many cases.

Districts don't pay retirement. The state retirement system does.