Best Fast-Food Burger

Colonels_Wear_Blue

I certainly echo what Jumper Dad said about Burger King. What happened to them? Now a whopper is like eating tasteless cardboard covered in mayo. Mayo is about the only thing that gives it flavor, and that only makes it a heart attack waiting to happen.

Speaking of heart attacks:

Have to admit that a double cheese slider from White Castles always kicks it for me in the way only White Castles can.

In general the fast food burger world has lost it for me in recent years. Not much gets my taste buds pumped. I haven't had the pleasure of checking out the old Roy Rodgers or Ronny's (or whatever it's called now), but as a kid it was my favorite, so If I'm ever over that way it's a no brainer.

Someone mentioned the old Hardee's mushroom and swiss being like crack. I can relate to that. Seemed like I remember plowing through many buy one get one free of those a while back.

Have always dug a Big Boy as the burger does actually taste like an old fashioned burger, and then the tarter sauce always adds that flavor you're not going to get anywhere else.

Haven't had Rally's or Steak n' Shake for a long time, but I'd be tempted. If I recall, Rally's was a grease bomb, but perhaps had flavor that some other places lack.

I find it amusing how a lot of places are starting to offer peculiar quirky stuff like a french fry burger that was typically just a weird experiment that a kid would throw together just for kicks.

Speaking of quirky, though it has nothing to do with fast food, recently I've been taking two pieces of wheat bread and grilling them on one side in a hot skillet with butter until nice and crispy. Sticking them in the freezer for about 15 minutes to cool them. Then smearing peanut butter and jelly on the ungrilled sides while cold so the peanut butter doesn't get drippy and melted. Makes for a kick butt crunchy cold grilled PBJ without the mess you'd get if it were hot. Makes slapping together of PBJ take a little longer, but well worth the wait.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will do as I usually go for toast with the PB&J but dislike

the warmth on the PB.

Speaking of toast, I forget to mention that I do run the bread one cycle through the toaster making it lightly toasted before grilling bread in the pan as it speeds up the grilling part, and makes it even crunchier in the long run as the ungrilled side gets toasted too.

I certainly echo what Jumper Dad said about Burger King. What happened to them? Now a whopper is like eating tasteless cardboard covered in mayo. Mayo is about the only thing that gives it flavor, and that only makes it a heart attack waiting to happen.

Speaking of heart attacks:

Have to admit that a double cheese slider from White Castles always kicks it for me in the way only White Castles can.

In general the fast food burger world has lost it for me in recent years. Not much gets my taste buds pumped. I haven't had the pleasure of checking out the old Roy Rodgers or Ronny's (or whatever it's called now), but as a kid it was my favorite, so If I'm ever over that way it's a no brainer.

Someone mentioned the old Hardee's mushroom and swiss being like crack. I can relate to that. Seemed like I remember plowing through many buy one get one free of those a while back.

Have always dug a Big Boy as the burger does actually taste like an old fashioned burger, and then the tarter sauce always adds that flavor you're not going to get anywhere else.

Haven't had Rally's or Steak n' Shake for a long time, but I'd be tempted. If I recall, Rally's was a grease bomb, but perhaps had flavor that some other places lack.

I find it amusing how a lot of places are starting to offer peculiar quirky stuff like a french fry burger that was typically just a weird experiment that a kid would throw together just for kicks.

Speaking of quirky, though it has nothing to do with fast food, recently I've been taking two pieces of wheat bread and grilling them on one side in a hot skillet with butter until nice and crispy. Sticking them in the freezer for about 15 minutes to cool them. Then smearing peanut butter and jelly on the ungrilled sides while cold so the peanut butter doesn't get drippy and melted. Makes for a kick butt crunchy cold grilled PBJ without the mess you'd get if it were hot. Makes slapping together of PBJ take a little longer, but well worth the wait.

I have to say, even though you write a book every time you post, I appreciate the fact that you space it all out so it's not just one huge run-on paragraph! Thank you for that! :thumb:

I have to say, even though you write a book every time you post, I appreciate the fact that you space it all out so it's not just one huge run-on paragraph! Thank you for that! :thumb:

You can thank Clyde for that as he guided me and set me straight on that a while back, and thankfully so as my post, although still large now, used to be one gargantuan mess of crap that even I wouldn't dare tackle by rereading.

Whopper used to be head and shoulders above all else, but for the last few years their produce has been subpar. Lettuce, Pickles, tomatoes and even Onions are not the same quality as several years ago.

Steak and Shake and Culvers are both pretty good, Big Mac doesn't get much love but sometimes that's all I want.

Wendy's Double with no Cheese (I hate their cheese) is pretty hard to beat day in and day out.

Retired Burgers that I loved:

Hardees Bacon Cheeseburger (Circa 1986-199?) was my all time favorite until Hardees changes their burgers.

McDLT Hot Side Hot and Cold Side Cold...loved this burger

A friend just told me that "Cookout" had the best FF burger he had ever eaten. The only one I have seen so far is in Richmond and when we tried to go there wasn't any parking and 20 cars in the drive through...we will try it at some point to see for our selves

Agree with the bolded. Loved Hardee's burgers way back when. They were highly underrated. Bad burger these days though.

DLT was good, but had mayo on it. I hate mayo, had to ask for mustard instead, and then it was a great burger.

Absolute best fast food burger I've ever had is In and Out Burger. Not close. It'd be at the top of best burgers period list in all honesty. But alas, it's a west coast chain. (Whoever brought Smashburger to the area, shoulda brought this bad boy instead.)

Locally, I haven't tried Culvers, only been to 5 guys once, so my input is somewhat limited. I'll take Steak & Shake though. If your fuel light is on, you may not want to risk the drive thru, but they make a pretty good burger.

Every so often though I crave a Big Boy from Frisch's or a quarter pounder with cheese from McD's. Both taste really good about four times a year.

• 5 years later...
I eat little fast food. My choice now days would be Steak and Shake.

Used to really like Steak & Shake back in the day. Last few times my wife and I ate at a couple in our area they were not clean, couldn't find a table cleaned off to sit. Plus food quality and service had gone downhill. We now go to Freddy's which is similar to Steak & Shake.