Harrison County 54 Cooper 42

It's always been nearly impossible to compare scores to try and determine who will win specific match-ups, especially when one of the schools (Harrison Co.) is out-of-region. Sometimes we "down state" folks probably have a bit of an inferiority complex and feel that some of you guys "up north" might be elitist and somewhat smug.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always been nearly impossible to compare scores to try and determine who will win specific match-ups, especially when one of the schools (Harrison Co.) is out-of-region. Sometimes we "down state" folks probably have a bit of an inferiority complex and feel that some of you guys "up north" might be elitist and somewhat smug.

Well without seeing HC it's hard to do anything other than go off of scores (which is obviously not an exact science.) NKY dominates the board so I can see how others might see it as you do. No harm in that.

Harrison County 6 13 15 20 – 54

Cooper 15 8 10 9 – 42

HC: Jenkins 22, D. Pulliam 11, Thompson 10, Carr 7, Ritchie 4, Jenkins 0, Kenney 0, Williams 0, Short 0, Z. Pulliam 0, Case 0, Palmer 0. Total 54.

C: Z. McNeil 13, Liechty 7, Holland 3, Morgan 2, Hathorn 0, S. McNeil 7, Hawkins 6, Dragan 2, Brandel 2, McNair-Turner 0, Rohlman 0, Henderson 0, Willging 0, Dickerson 0. Total 42.

3-pointers: Harrison County 5 (Jenkins 3, D. Pulliam, Thompson), Cooper 5 (Z. McNeil 2, S. McNeil, Holland, Liechty).

Records: Harrison County 3-3, Cooper 2-3.

http://www.maysville-online.com/sports/panthers-pull-away-from-lions-in-murph-quarterfinals/article_08838654-e4e0-545e-8582-12dc8271e9e9.html

Without making it out to see the Jag's yet, I'm surprised Hathorn hasn't been doing much on the offensive side so far this year. I haven't seen a box score yet where he had a lot of points. I thought he would be a beast this year even if his points were just putbacks off rebounds. He's a good kid and I'm sure the team will gell before the season is over. A lot of talent in a lot of sports graduated last year so it just takes time to come together.

I didn't like you having Cooper as high as you did, but I never dreamt they'd struggle this much.

Serious question: while they lost some key players, I wonder if they aren't missing Brett Blevins' impact as well. I think he was a key piece of their success.

I think Cooper's biggest weakness is they just aren't big enough.

They have the shooters, they just don't have the big boys underneath to 1. Stop teams from penetrating and 2. Rebound on a consistent basis.

Cooper has the outside shooting that can compete with just about anyone, it's their lack of size that hurts them the most. They aren't physical enough imo to overcome the lack of height. This also leads to practically no inside game on offense.

I can see that logic, but this is how I approached it:

Ryle won at home against Holy Cross by 10.

Harrison County won at Holy Cross by 13.

Ryle beat Cooper by 3.

I saw this game as a toss-up, so I wouldn't have been surprised whichever team won. I am surprised at the margin.

Looking forward to seeing the Breds for the first time this year on Friday night.

By that approach Harrison beat Holy Cross by 13

Scott beat Holy Cross by 26

Harrison beat Scott by 10.

All about matchups and well, what do you get out of a high school kid night in night out.

With that said. Harrison beating Cooper is not an upset. Not even close.

By that approach Harrison beat Holy Cross by 13

Scott beat Holy Cross by 26

Harrison beat Scott by 10.

All about matchups and well, what do you get out of a high school kid night in night out.

With that said. Harrison beating Cooper is not an upset. Not even close.

All good points. :thumb:

:thumb:

Also, this is what makes the games between teams ranked #5 and up for both regions so exciting. You never know what you are going to get.

The reality is of Cooper is yes, they are not very big. Hathorn is the only big man with any experience and Hawkins is new to the program and still developing since he didn't play last year. The team only returns 2 starters in Morgan and Z. McNeil so it's virtually a rebuild in the starting line up. When you start 6'5" Hathorn and 4 guards 6'1" or less this team is going to struggle a little so yes Maniacci and Shelton are missed. No excuses just facts.

As for the game, hats off to HC but no way was this a 12 point game. HC didn't take the lead until mid 4th qtr and made a ton of FTs when they needed to as Cooper was fouling trying stop the clock and didn't score when they had possession. It was a 5 point game with 2:30 to go. Coach Sully will get it worked out as he figures out his personel but I would like to believe this team will be in the hunt come late February.

One thing about Coach Sully I know is that he is developing this team to be playing at its peak come end of the season. It is different than last years and Sixer made that point. As long as the boys give effort and listen to the coaches I like their chances. I will look forward to see how the rematch goes with HC in a couple of weeks. I still wonder If the Jags had a let down after losing to Ryle in OT. Again something they have to learn to deal with as a team and move on to the next game.