Teen with "Affluenza" Gets no Jail Time in DUI Deaths

lawildcat

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Money talks. The concept of "equal opportunity" rings kind of hollow when stuff like this is prevalent in society.

I don't disagree money can talk in judicial system. I just don't know if I agree it did in this case. What is the precedent for a 16 year old in these type of circumstances. I know lives were lost but I don't know if I'd put a 16 year old away for 20 years for this.

Is this a joke?

A psychologist called as an expert defense witness said the boy suffered from "affluenza." Affluenza is defined as a psychological malaise that affects young people who may come from families with money. These individuals may have the feeling of guilt, lack of motivation or a sense of isolation. The teen also grew up in a house where parents were preoccupied with arguments with each other that led to a divorce.

SMH!!!!

Is this a joke?

A psychologist called as an expert defense witness said the boy suffered from "affluenza." Affluenza is defined as a psychological malaise that affects young people who may come from families with money. These individuals may have the feeling of guilt, lack of motivation or a sense of isolation. The teen also grew up in a house where parents were preoccupied with arguments with each other that led to a divorce.

SMH!!!!

Poor kid. I'm practically tearing up.

Anybody out there know (I've been out of the mental health business for several years) if "affluenza" has made it into the latest incarnation of the DSM? Somehow I doubt it.

Anybody out there know (I've been out of the mental health business for several years) if "affluenza" has made it into the latest incarnation of the DSM? Somehow I doubt it.

Yes, yes it has. As opposed to the diagnosis of "broke-no-joke-itis", which we are still treating as a deviant, almost always criminal, symptomology. So called psychologist ought to be ashamed - taking $$ to justify any/all behaviors.

I am not as upset at this as most, one being the entire DUI situation in this country is a joke! Anyone can get out of a DUI is they know what to say, as long as they don't kill anyone.

Should we have it like several European countries such as some of the Eastern European countries I have been? Where there is ZERO tolerance? Blow anything and you are finished, and just hope that car is not in someone else's name, as it's gone for a while too no matter what.

Had really interesting discussion about it on the BBC this morning. They had on a psychiatrist who discussed that the term has been one thrown around in sociological circles for years to describe a condition ascribed to societies at large with regard to consumerism, excessive wealth and apathy, but he'd never heard it used on an individual basis to describe a personal psychological condition. Seemed pretty taken aback by the whole idea.

Edited by Getslow

This is a joke. He probably would have been put in a juvenile detention facility for two years and then do the remaining 8 on probation. I could have accepted that, although none of my family of friends were killed which obviously puts a different state of mind on it. The kid probably needs help in many ways, but I doubt he will get it this way.

Until yesterday I did not realize this was the 'official' defense.

I was the foreman of a jury where we where handed an 18-count indictment of a 'kid' (in his low 20s) who go tossed from a strip club (at the I-75/Athens exit) and then proceeded to get a shovel and start tearing up cars in the parking lot.

I thought the system worked in that we convicted him on about the half counts (some of the victims did not show up with evidence), lowered some, etc. Then during the sentencing phase we go to see his record. He was arrested a handful of times for DUI (both alcohol and other) but obviously he had to have connections because he never was convicted or if he was it to a lesser charge. As a jury, we decided he really needed an adult-size time-out. So we did not throw the book at him but we make the term a little stiffer than the minimum and did them concurrent to ensure he would sit for at least a few months. Because to us the kid was not using his previous breaks and obviously had not learned a lesson.

A few months later was talking to a probation officer and described the case to her. She said, 'yes I know that case. The judge gave him shock probation....he did not last long outside before getting into trouble again.'. I was so mad. As a jury, we had discussed that very scenario. We - as 12 people - collectively came to a conclusion that we thought was just and good for the kid. But a soft judge let him out early - and what we thought would happen - apparently did.

• 2 years later...