Alison Grimes=Big Money Hollywood Liberal

All Tell

This will be a tough one for me. As a conservative and someone who is against the "career politician", it makes my skin crawl that MM has been in political office for 30 years. I think that's a huge part of the problem with government in general. I would like to see him gone and some "new blood" in office, someone not so beholden to certain organizations or people and not so ingrained in the "political culture". With that I would like to vote for Matt Bevin. But, if doing that helps ensure that a Lib Dem is elected is his place...well I don't want to take that route either. Decisions decisions.

McConnell has been in office for as long as I can remember...literally.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mrs. Grimes' best chance to pull off an upset win likely will depend on whether she can garner the support of a significant number of female voters who in the past have voted for Mitch. Whether she's "hot" -- or not -- is simply stupid talk. It will have zero to minimal impact on the race. What scares Mitch most is the fact that Mrs. Grimes had the highest percentage of votes of all Democratic candidates in the last statewide election.

She'll be running away from Obama anyway but his approval ratings falling into the thirties is going to be an additional drag on Grimes.

Who's going to have the more difficult task -- Grimes distancing herself from Obama or McConnell distancing himself from the lowest congressional approval rating in decades?

Who's going to have the more difficult task -- Grimes distancing herself from Obama or McConnell distancing himself from the lowest congressional approval rating in decades?

Grimes. Mitch has already proven his ability to detach, otherwise he wouldn't keep getting elected as the congressional approval has been in the tank for years.

The status of Obamacare and the rollout in June 2014 may be the biggest factor in the November 2014 elections. What is happening now will be a forgotten memory in June 2014 if they get it fixed and the rollout is successful. In June 2014, if any of the horror stories turn out to be real, Dems are in trouble. If none of the horror stories prove true, Dems will be patting themselves on the back and the clear majority of voters will be looking at the naysayers shaking their heads. The right wing conservative faction is a non-factor in this because Obamacare will never be a good thing in their minds. The liberal faction is a non-factor because Obamacare is a good thing no matter what the cost and problems. It's that 40% of voters standing between the liberals and the radicals that will be impacted big by the Obamacare rollout and who will be making voting decisions based on the rollout results.

Mrs. Grimes' best chance to pull off an upset win likely will depend on whether she can garner the support of a significant number of female voters who in the past have voted for Mitch. Whether she's "hot" -- or not -- is simply stupid talk. It will have zero to minimal impact on the race. What scares Mitch most is the fact that Mrs. Grimes had the highest percentage of votes of all Democratic candidates in the last statewide election.

Correction: "It SHOULD have zero to minimal impact on the race".

Unfortunately, too many people really are shallow enough to base their votes on how attractive the candidate is. Clinton being found attractive by women helped him get the Dem nomination and general election. Notice I said it helped, not implying it won the election for him alone.

It won't win the election on its own but I guarantee you that more people will vote for the attractive candidate than you might think.

Correction: "It SHOULD have zero to minimal impact on the race".

Unfortunately, too many people really are shallow enough to base their votes on how attractive the candidate is. Clinton being found attractive by women helped him get the Dem nomination and general election. Notice I said it helped, not implying it won the election for him alone.

What will aid Mrs. Grimes is the fact that (a) she's a fresh face and (b) she doesn't have a congressional voting record, so Mitch can't run ads saying she voted against this and that. Of course, every Mitch attack ad against her will mention "Obama" six or seven times. Speaking of Big Bill Clinton, it will be interesting to see how many times he campaigns for Mrs. Grimes in the Bluegrass State. He's a living legend.

The status of Obamacare and the rollout in June 2014 may be the biggest factor in the November 2014 elections. What is happening now will be a forgotten memory in June 2014 if they get it fixed and the rollout is successful. In June 2014, if any of the horror stories turn out to be real, Dems are in trouble. If none of the horror stories prove true, Dems will be patting themselves on the back and the clear majority of voters will be looking at the naysayers shaking their heads. The right wing conservative faction is a non-factor in this because Obamacare will never be a good thing in their minds. The liberal faction is a non-factor because Obamacare is a good thing no matter what the cost and problems. It's that 40% of voters standing between the liberals and the radicals that will be impacted big by the Obamacare rollout and who will be making voting decisions based on the rollout results.

Good analysis. Another factor no one has mentioned yet is how much support will Mitch receive from the right-wing and libertarian PACs. Will the Koch brothers pump lots of $$ into Mitch's coffers, or will they remain on the sidelines? Do the Koch brothers and Tea Party types really want Mitch to lead the Senate Republicans for another X number of years -- or would they prefer a new face in D.C.? My guess is the latter.

Good analysis. Another factor no one has mentioned yet is how much support will Mitch receive from the right-wing and libertarian PACs. Will the Koch brothers pump lots of $$ into Mitch's coffers, or will they remain on the sidelines? Do the Koch brothers and Tea Party types really want Mitch to lead the Senate Republicans for another X number of years -- or would they prefer a new face in D.C.? My guess is the latter.

GOP and PACS are going to back who ever wins the primary. No matter who it is , that person will be better than Grimes.