If Dunbar can play Montgomery Bell Academy why...

theguru

And FWIW I could care less who Dunbar does or doesn't play. I just think it shows a level of hypocricy to play a school like MBA under the guise of playing strong competition to get better while dodging a very good program in the same city.

Precisely!

Seems like the administrators at FCPS are clueless.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect Golfer every school in Lexington will lose an amount of respect as long as this silly boycott continues because it will always give the impression that they are dodging superior competition. In the public/private thread it has been brought up that the impression is that the private schools are doing something wrong and that impression is all that's needed to demand change. The same applies here.

And FWIW I could care less who Dunbar does or doesn't play. I just think it shows a level of hypocricy to play a school like MBA under the guise of playing strong competition to get better while dodging a very good program in the same city.

Once again, you dodge the truth. Dunbars coaches did not institute any such boycott. They have a defined set of rules as far as scheduling goes. They are doing what they can to prepare themselves within them. Go to work tommorrow and go against something your boss says you can't do and tell me what happens. Just admit it. Them scheduling MBA is a smart thing for the Dunbar football program. Period.

MBA next year is better than Lexington Catholic we both know that. Beating Lexington Catholic from Dunbar's point of view is nice but that's locally and in the scheme of things means nothing. Scott County has a great shot at being the favorite when they play Lexington Catholic next year but if they win or lose it's not that big of a deal. Beating MBA sends a state message. Lexington Cathoilc is a great team but lets be real here for a second they are not to the MBA level yet. If Dunbar loses to MBA then big deal you could still be the 4A state champions like someone else did. :sssh:

With all due respect Golfer every school in Lexington will lose an amount of respect as long as this silly boycott continues because it will always give the impression that they are dodging superior competition.
I don't see that as the reason for the boycott as much as it is the Fayette County schools' way of expressing their displeasure with the way they perceive Lexington Catholic goes about their business.

In the public/private thread it has been brought up that the impression is that the private schools are doing something wrong and that impression is all that's needed to demand change. The same applies here.
The boycott is solely about Lexington Catholic, and only Lexington Catholic.

I just think it shows a level of hypocricy to play a school like MBA under the guise of playing strong competition to get better while dodging a very good program in the same city.
But they're not "dodging a very good program in the city" for competitive reasons. I suspect the Fayette County teams are willing to play Lexington Catholic, provided they are allowed to.

By the way, has Trinity tried to put Male on the schedule? They would seem to qualify as "a very good program in the city."

Yes, Trinity was scheduled to play Male in the opener in 2001. This was the following year of Male's last state title. Both sides agreed to play to open the next season. Male backed out to play another game. This left Trinity with only nine regular season games that year. Not to worry, Male played Trinity that December with the Rocks winning state 45-19.

It is not fair when Private schools have no boundaries to get players from but public schools do have boundaries. There have been schools who get in trouble because they play with a player not in their district but yet private schools are doing it all the time. I understand the boycott. Would you still be friends with someone who stole something from you? If not then you should understand the Fayette Co. Boycott. Dunbar is playing a team that does not take their players. I am not saying that I would not do the same thing if I were part of the Lex. Catholic team but it does not make fair to all other schools.

I am so tried of hearing this excuse. This is incorrect, I will repeat this again because everyone either ignores it or just doesn't get it:

You can't self impose restrictions on your own school district and then complain that others won't do the same. The practice is not only stupid but it is un-american.

I don't see that as the reason for the boycott as much as it is the Fayette County schools' way of expressing their displeasure with the way they perceive Lexington Catholic goes about their business.

The boycott is solely about Lexington Catholic, and only Lexington Catholic.

But they're not "dodging a very good program in the city" for competitive reasons. I suspect the Fayette County teams are willing to play Lexington Catholic, provided they are allowed to.

By the way, has Trinity tried to put Male on the schedule? They would seem to qualify as "a very good program in the city."

You see things one way, I see them another and by my way of thinking the Lexington public schools could use an infusion of backbone. Again its a matter of perception.

And as LSU said Trinity has attempted to schedule Male.

Really? Proove it. This post is more of the rediculous argument. How are they "your players" if your a public school. Last time I checked the kids parents have legal guardianship over their kids. Their parents are making a decision where to send them to school. How come when kids go to college their parents don't have to send them to schools in their district? Because they are afforded the opportunity to choose what is best for their child. The same standard should be applied in high school. Now if you want to times there inrollment by 1.5 because of the obvious advantage they have in drawing players, then I would say ok. But untill you PROVE an allegation of wrong doing, don't state it as fact. I think this whole middleschool district thing is garbage myself and I hope it doesn't pass. Their are enough laws on the books to deal with these issues. And adding my suggestion would all but eliminate that advantage IMO.

Yes I agree that parents have guardianship over their kids but public school coaches are not getting kids those kids to play for them. I really don't the comparsion between college and high school because all d1 NCAA schools have scholarships. That makes them even in that respect. But most high schools do not have unlimited boundaries. All I am saying is that we need a level playing field. By the way I did not accuse anyone of any wrong doing.

I am so tried of hearing this excuse. This is incorrect, I will repeat this again because everyone either ignores it or just doesn't get it:

You can't self impose restrictions on your own school district and then complain that others won't do the same. The practice is not only stupid but it is un-american.

I admit you have a great point.

I am not saying that I would not do the same thing if I were part of the Lex. Catholic team but it does not make fair to all other schools.

This is where I think the general public has been led to believe things that just aren't true or exaggerated. I challenge you to do some research and see how many kids that were impact players in the Lex Cath/Bowling Green game came from out of District for each team. I think you will be suprised by the outcome! What's even more funny is when you have schools like Scott Co leading the charge and you don't have to go back too far to find some pretty nice basketball players that have led Scott Co to glory on the hardwood!

For what it's worth I don't think you will find a single kid or coach from Lex Cath or Dunbar that fear the other team. I think both of those programs respect each other and have one goal in mind. I think playing each other would be great but that's not the ultimate goal for the two programs. The day will come that these teams start playing and I think Lexington football will reap the benefits. The gates will be out of this world and the team spirit for all schools involved will be awsome.

Nevertheless, I have a tough time seeing how Dunbar's decision to add MBA to the schedule sparks criticism and claims of their program trying to avoid quality competition.

It is not a knock on Dubar, more or less a knock on Fayette County, and that is justified..

Dunbar is playing a team that does not take their players.

Who is to say that they are DUNBAR's players...that sounds supremely arcahaic to me, and I get enraged when I hear that schools feel they OWN a kid because of where his parents choose to reside.

This is personally why I don't like this thread. The thread is named Dunbar in general and it singles them out like they are the reason that Lexington Catholic isn't being played by the public schools. I know Guru didn't mean that but this whole thread is about Dunbar. Their are four other FCPS in the Lexington and they are not playing MBA and they seem to be dodging the bullit in this thread. I think Dunbar should be praised for what they are doing trying to play a great football team.

Tates Creek and Dunbar played LCA in basketball this year so no one should be suprised that FCPS is playing a private school in football or basketball. This isn't that big of a deal. Now playing a powerhouse football team like MBA whether they are private or public is a big deal because they know how to play the game of football. I don't really care where you go to school.