If Dunbar can play Montgomery Bell Academy why...

theguru

can't they play Lexington Catholic?

I know, I know, the Fayette County Flu is still affecting the Fayette County powers that be and Dunbar is not allowed to play LexCath. But, isn't it a double standard to play MBA?

Also, as yours truly and several others here on BGP pointed out years ago, the boycott would only make LexCath stronger (and that came to fruition this year) and the only end in sight is if the KHSAA kicks the private schools out of the current state championships. Remember (and this is for another thread) there is no such thing as separation because there are not enough private teams to support private separation, it would be kicking the private schools out.

Back to my point, why is it ok to play a private school from TN but not a private school in your own back yard?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying it's ok, but Dunbar isn't competing with Lexington Catholic for the same players , and since absolutely no one on this message board knows the true extent to which the so-called "beef" between Catholic and the FCPS schools run, who are we to call it a double standard, maybe there is evidence against Catholic recruiting, or maybe Catholic runs a spotless program and all allegations are false, but we really don't know what goes on behind the scenes. My question is why does everyone on here care so much if Dunbar plays MBA or Lex. Catholic, the only games that truly matter are district and playoff games, and since as of right now Catholic is in 3A. Maybe Dunbar is trying to send some sort of message that the ice is thawing and this is the first step towards reconcilliation. Who knows and who cares!!! The public/private debate is nauseatingly played out.

Bottom line Fayette Co. schools are jealous of Lex. Cath. The kinghts are taking things to a different level. If fayette co. wanted to level the playing surface they would just go to an open enrollment. It is a double standard to play MBA. I dont think anyone at Dunbar realizes the money a Lex. Cath / Dunbar game would make. It only hurts the kids not to play Lex. Cath.

I understand that, I probably should have stated what I did a little differently, I guess it boils down to the fact that there is a lot of discussion on each side but no action, I am more fed up with the KHSAA for refusing to mak a permanant decision to allow everyone to have a resolution in this conflict and allow sports in Kentucky to move on, I guess what i should have said is the debate portion of this is issue is played out and it's time for action be it one way or the other.

Bottom line Fayette Co. schools are jealous of Lex. Cath. The kinghts are taking things to a different level. If fayette co. wanted to level the playing surface they would just go to an open enrollment. It is a double standard to play MBA. I dont think anyone at Dunbar realizes the money a Lex. Cath / Dunbar game would make. It only hurts the kids not to play Lex. Cath.

Get Real, it hurts no one. Jealous? Of What? If Lexington Catholic were in 4A they would have exactly zero state titles. Trinity and St. Xavier and Male are machines. Lexington Catholic is not on that plane yet and when and if they move to 4A that will become very clear to all.

This is a question so don't shoot me!! Can a student athlete at Dunbar transfer to Lex. Cath? If so that could be a serious issue since Cath has no district lines. Again I am asking because I don't live in Lexington. ALso, we play Lex Cath and they don't bring a big crowd (by comparison to other privates)...perhaps that would change since they are very close to each other. Anyway, I was just asking a question.

This is a question so don't shoot me!! Can a student athlete at Dunbar transfer to Lex. Cath? If so that could be a serious issue since Cath has no district lines. Again I am asking because I don't live in Lexington. ALso, we play Lex Cath and they don't bring a big crowd (by comparison to other privates)...perhaps that would change since they are very close to each other. Anyway, I was just asking a question.

I'm not for sure on that one but I can tell you this, I know a girl who's family lives here in Somerset and she goes to Lexington Catholic. She is living with a family friend until she graduates this year.

champ,

BGP is the place to debate the "issues" and this is an issue.

I do like the angle that the ice is thawing and I hope you are right.

The ice is thawing and in my opinion you could schedule Lexington Catholic if you go through enough hoops. Educated guess on that one.

I don't know if playing MBA is a double standard. In Lexington they want kids that go to the middle schools to end up at their intended public high schools. I don't think MBA has kids that went to Leestown Middle School.

If their is a true double standard it's that you can play LCA in basketball or be in their tournament but their is an up roar over playing basketball or football with Lexington Catholic. LCA has kids that live in FCPS districts like Lexington Catholic does.

This is my point that the boycott isn't that black and white anymore and if you really wanted to press the issue I personally think you could get the game made but that's my opinion. Let's not forget that both parties have to agree to this game. I don't like the idea that it's 100% that Lexington Catholic would schedule FCPS teams. I don't know why they wouldn't but scheduling takes more than one team to do it.

If Dunbar (or the Fayette County Public Schools) feels that Lexington Catholic is doing underhanded things to draw top athletes (not saying they do), it's obvious why they may not want to play them. MBA is clearly not competing for the same athletes or affecting Dunbar in any way.

Another question might be: Why is MBA willing to play a school with an active boycott underway on a fellow private school?

Why is MBA willing to play a school with an active boycott underway on a fellow private school?

As it relates to this year, MBA was very limited in who it could play, and was basically relegated to out-of-state competition. Tennessee is in the second of a two-year scheduling period (i.e., 2005 schedules are the same in 2006), so there were virtually no Tennessee schools to play since almost all of those schools' schedules are locked in for 2006.

In general, MBA has a difficult time finding in-state opponents. Since Tennessee split into two divisions in 1997, MBA, in Division II, has played 18 Division I (public schools and non-aid privates) opponents and has a record of 17-1. That winning percentage, combined with Public/Private issues, are probably the main contributing factors to in-state scheduling difficulties. As such, MBA has had to play schools from Kentucky, Florida, Mississippi, and South Carolina to round out its schedules.

The double standard has been going on for some time. They will play Lex. Christian or Sayre, or Trinity, but not Lex Cath.

Do I think Lex Cath does some under the table things? YES!

Is a boycott solving things? NO. I say make money off the game.

Then replace Bridgett as commish of the KHSAA and anyone else who protects the private schools.

Yes not to play the Lex. Cath hurts your program. Because Cath can always say Dunbar, is scared to play us? That will assist them in their recruiting efforts. (If they recruit)