If Dunbar can play Montgomery Bell Academy why...

theguru

It is not a knock on Dubar, more or less a knock on Fayette County, and that is justified..
I wasn't accusing you of knocking Dunbar specifically. However, this gem from All Tell ...

And FWIW I could care less who Dunbar does or doesn't play. I just think it shows a level of hypocricy to play a school like MBA under the guise of playing strong competition to get better while dodging a very good program in the same city.

... sounds like a knock on Dunbar, not just their Fayette County brethren. Seems like a strange reaction to a team that just toughened its schedule considerably by taking a game with MBA.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where I think the general public has been led to believe things that just aren't true or exaggerated. I challenge you to do some research and see how many kids that were impact players in the Lex Cath/Bowling Green game came from out of District for each team. I think you will be suprised by the outcome! What's even more funny is when you have schools like Scott Co leading the charge and you don't have to go back too far to find some pretty nice basketball players that have led Scott Co to glory on the hardwood!

For what it's worth I don't think you will find a single kid or coach from Lex Cath or Dunbar that fear the other team. I think both of those programs respect each other and have one goal in mind. I think playing each other would be great but that's not the ultimate goal for the two programs. The day will come that these teams start playing and I think Lexington football will reap the benefits. The gates will be out of this world and the team spirit for all schools involved will be awsome.

Maybe that was the plan all along. Imagine the rivalry that will be sparked once the first FCPS plays Lex Cath. A lot of Lexington would turn out for that.

FWIW it was a knock on Dunbar and all FCPS schools for their refusal to play LexCath.

This is getting old. Dunbar can't play Lexington Catholic this year. Catholic has nine games and they are suspended for their first game which was Dunbar's open game that they scheduled with MBA. Dunbar's schedule is set.

David Hensley and his staff have pretty much been together for the last four years back into East Jessamine days. And yes, EJ played Lexington Catholic twice. Lexington Catholic comes to the Combine for college coaches run by the public schools. Bob Sphire is friends with David Hensley and many of the other Lexington Coaches. At EJ David Hensley scheduled Lexington Catholic in freshman and in jv games.

This fake rivalry you are trying to create is getting old. Yes, it would be a nice football game. That's it, a nice game. They are 3A and everyone else is 4A. No one forces Trinity to play Central. They are a good 3A team so I guess Trinity shouldn't get any respect until they play them. :rolleyes:

I assure you if Trinity beats MBA they will get respect from me and every other team in the State. But I guess if Dunbar does the same it still doesn't matter until they play Lexington Catholic.

And for everyone's personal information Lexington Catholic was a BREATH from being in 4A next allignment. Their was an idea that football numbers in school should only be counted for boys and Lexington Catholic has more boys than Bryan Station. Bryan Station was going to move to 3A and it looked like Catholic may take their place. It was changed the day after this idea and numbers will be counted for girls as well.

If you want to bark at someone go to the Board of Education down on Main Street and complain. Leave Dunbar out of it.

It is not a knock on Dubar, more or less a knock on Fayette County, and that is justified..

I am glad someone finally stated this. We do not know all the circumstances that lead the powers in Fayette County to make the decision. Obviously, there was enough evidence to draw the penalties that were imposed on LexCath by the KHSAA. But, Dunbar cannot be blamed for not playing LC if the district has mandated that they do not. I also agree that if they play MBA that there probably are not too many players in Dunbar's district that are being lured to play at MBA. Not a lot of conflict there. Maybe, just maybe there is a little more to the situation in Fayette County than Public vs. Private. :sssh:

Everybody needs to realize that Fayette Co. put this ban in place when allegations were just that- allegations and rumors. I played sports for a Fayette Co. school agianst LC in high school and made great friends, as well as many others around the city. None of the kids wanted this ban. Tell me why today, in Basketball, some Fayette Co. teams do not play all of thier district opponents in the regular season? Maybe UK basketball should not play any SEC teams next year until the conference tournament.

I am tired of hearing about the ban. As a LexCath supporter, I see nothing that can be gained by playing any of the other Fayette County schools. In the past few years, we have played Male, St X, Trinity and Scott County. I think that this is enough challenge to get us prepared for the district schedule. The publics and the privates should continue to develope in parallel paths. I'm satisfied with where the Knights are right now and cannot see where adding a Lexington Public school game would do anything to enhance our position. It's clear that the decision makers do not want the games to be played so I say just forget about the supposition and play the willing.

The ban on Lexington Catholic was made by higher ups at the FCBOE. Dunbar is currently trying to get LC to play in 2007. Coach Hensley, Coach Sharpe, Coach Kettler, and company have played LC when they were at East Jess. They have a lot of respect for the program but do not fear them. This would be a great matchup in 2006 or 2007.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for everyone's information- There is no BAN on Lex. Cath.!!

When the 43rd boys and girls basketball district voted to seed the tournament for the 2006-2007 season the ban was officially dropped. Any fayette county public school can now schedule Lex Catholic in any sport as long as the two sides can aggree!!! So- Work it out and get it done!!