Barker vs. Houliston

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

' date=' Houliston, if developed physically over the next year, will easily make some D1 noise. Barker has alot of good qualities but the Houliston kid passes circles around him, IMO.[/quote']

If the girl with the great personality lost 50 pounds she'd have a chance to be Miss America.

You've just said why a talented high school QB isn't getting D1 looks with your qualifier.

I'd say all of the college scouts can't be wrong and Barker passes the eye test but I've watched him several times the last couple of years and I have never been awed by his play. Some of the other local QB's from the past that have went on to play at a high college level seemed to be much better high school players. If this guy is a big time SEC caliber QB then he shouldn't be having low scoring dog fights with somewhat down Campbell County and Cooper teams in my opinion. We'll see in the next few years with Barker but Houliston is a very nice high school QB but I don't see the size nor the arm strength to be a high level college QB.

I think Clyde is right here Whack.

This is the problem with only being a 1 yr starter at Highlands. I do believe DBob is a young Sr and could have been held back when he started school which would have allowed his to mature more physically then where he is now. His measurables simply are not that of Barker and D1 coaches drool over size. Why? Idk, LN and I had this conversation last nite and we both agreed that someone wrote the Bible back in the day on D1 size and everyone must stick to it or else...

No excuses though, because DBob has confirmed the hype on himself and has delivered the goods and his numbers have proven this.

He isnt getting the hype or attention via media like Barker has but before its all over DBob will have a handful of schools to choose from. Not sure from who but he is not going unnoticed, I can guarantee you this...

I still think DBob is getting hosed not being mentioned as a Mr Football candidate. For people to say that this award goes to career numbers and gaudy numbers kind of guys is just plain silly, JMO and Just Sayin:thumb:

I'd say all of the college scouts can't be wrong and Barker passes the eye test but I've watched him several times the last couple of years and I have never been awed by his play. Some of the other local QB's from the past that have went on to play at a high college level seemed to be much better high school players. If this guy is a big time SEC caliber QB then he shouldn't be having low scoring dog fights with somewhat down Campbell County and Cooper teams in my opinion. We'll see in the next few years with Barker but Houliston is a very nice high school QB but I don't see the size nor the arm strength to be a high level college QB.

But can't these qualities be developed?

Barker made some nice throws and has the size but I still think Pat Towles was better in high school and he can't even stay on the UK roster so I'm not sure how Barker will do there. I hope he does great and is the savior everyone is expecting of him but if Towles is #3 on depth chart and the top two look as bad as they do then I'm not sure what to think. The only hope is maybe Barker reads defenses, etc. better than the ones currently at UK. I wish him the best.

Houliston is a very nice HS QB. He is an accurate passer, generally makes good decisions and is athletic enough to scramble out of trouble and keep plays alive. However, he is about 2 inches 2 short, 30 lbs to light and his overall arm strength would need significant improvement to be a D1 QB.

Not unlike a HS pitcher who dominates with an 85 mile an hour fastball and good location. Then goes to the next level and has troulble getting people out.

Barker, in my opinion has it all except the accuracy and touch.

Not unlike a hS pitcher who dominate with a 92 mile an hour fastball, but not great location, so sometimes he walks too many batters.

For both the QB's and the pitchers, the Colleges and above look for what can that player do in 2 -3 years. 9 times out of 10 they pick the more physically gifted player, even if there are flaws in the game. To use a Pete Gillen/Skip Prosser quote (can't remember which). " I can teach defense, I can teach ball handling and can even teach shooting... I can't teach height"

D1 college recruiting, particularly in football, is like NBA draft -- all on "measurables" and "upside." Just like Elam at John Hardin. The recruiters see a big frame that can be molded like clay over his redshirt year and beyond in a "football factory" where they control every calorie you put in and every exercise you do.

The Sparks kid was a solid college basketball player at UK a few years ago. Did he even get a sniff of pro basketball? Nope.

Right or wrong, that's just the way it is.

I equate "DBob" to Blake Bir. He's a UD-type QB.

Yep spot on..

Blake may have the edge as far as mobility but I would give the nod to Dbob for field vision. Both very good high school QB's that any team would dream of.

Great comparison my good friend...:thumb::thumb:

Barker made some nice throws and has the size but I still think Pat Towles was better in high school and he can't even stay on the UK roster so I'm not sure how Barker will do there. I hope he does great and is the savior everyone is expecting of him but if Towles is #3 on depth chart and the top two look as bad as they do then I'm not sure what to think. The only hope is maybe Barker reads defenses, etc. better than the ones currently at UK. I wish him the best.

From what I have been told this is the difference......Big difference!

But can't these qualities be developed?

PAssing qualities can be developed, but the size can't. Barker is the perfect size, height, weight, speed, arm strength etc. of a D1 QB.

Houliston is a great passer, but his size is what is holding him back the most imo.

Both qb's are also asked to do different things. Houliston is asked to pass more than Barker is while Barker's game is more balanced with running and passing.