Covington Catholic 28 Beechwood 7

The Scribe

You keep ignoring the first quarter. Pull up the first quarter stats and get back to me. My guess is Beechwood dominated the yardage numbers that quarter and fumbled on the 1 instead of getting a score to show for it. That game should have been 7-0 at the end of the first quarter with Beechwood looking like they were in control and headed toward an upset.

Second item, when you keep fumbling the ball away before you can even start a drive, you will always look dominated. Cov Cath scored 3 times after Beechwood fumbles.

No delusions here. Cov Cath controlled the line of scrimmage in this game. But I think if these two teams as is played 10 times, Beechwood would win 3.

I hear what VOR is saying and I too did not necessarily see it as "Men vs Boys". I will admit that Beechwood looked like they had all the answers the first 5-7 minutes of the game.

I do want to point out that if your going to say it would have been closer had Beechwood not fumbled, you must also acknowledge that CCH fumbled deep in its own territory on their first offensive play of the game to that led to Beechwoods short drive to the goal line where they, in turn, fumbled.

I was honestly very pleasantly surprised the game went as it did. The CCH offensive staff had a game plan of running a healthy dose of Sam and Ben Dressman left and right with Darlington primarily lead blocking- mixed in with speedsters like Hatter and McDowell getting touches out of Jet Sweeps. As well, B Dressman probably had more time to find his WR's in this game than any time in the past- which obviously helps with your accuracy. Lastly, no one has mentioned it, but sticking in Alex Wagner (Adams brother) at RB and having him get on the edge a couple times was a key to keeping drives alive.

I thought Beechwood let CCH off the hook a little defensively by not running it more. They had some nice initial runs then almost stopped altogether. Also, their hurry up offense was working like a charm in the 4th quarter- I know as a team of two way players the risk is getting gassed, but I might think about pulling that out my hat earlier in the game next time.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I think if these two teams as is played 10 times, Beechwood would win 3.

Voice you are always fun to debate with, you're intelligent and passionate, and often convincing. However (you knew it was coming), no way, no how am I buying this. If they played 10 times and Beechwood won more than one, I'd be shocked. Actually shocked is an understatement.

I agree the future should be bright but I am cautiously optimistic after the last Phenom Frosh class flopped.

A new definition of flop:

2011 KY Football

Beechwood

Aug 26, 11 Simon Kenton at Dixie Heights 28 - 0 (W)

Sep 2, 11 Holmes away 21 - 13 (W)

Sep 8, 11 Holy Cross (Covington) home 69 - 26 (W) (This was the Holy Cross team that won the 2A title)

Sep 17, 11 Covington Catholic away 28 - 40 (L)

Sep 23, 11 Elizabethtown away 65 - 22 (W)

Sep 30, 11 Dixie Heights away 62 - 27 (W)

Oct 7, 11 Bellevue away 63 - 8 (W)

Oct 14, 11 Dayton home 63 - 0 (W)

Oct 21, 11 Ludlow home 61 - 13 (W)

Oct 28, 11 Newport Central Catholic home 29 - 20 (W)

Nov 4, 11 Paris home 60 - 7 (W)

Nov 11, 11 Ludlow home 56 - 0 (W)

Nov 18, 11 Frankfort away 51 - 19 (W)

Nov 25, 11 Mayfield away 14 - 19 (L)

No chance.

Voice you are always fun to debate with, you're intelligent and passionate, and often convincing. However (you knew it was coming), no way, no how am I buying this. If they played 10 times and Beechwood won more than one, I'd be shocked. Actually shocked is an understatement.

I am being optimistic and hoping that 3 of those games Beechwood wouldn't turn the ball over and/or would win the turnover battle. I am also assuming Ben Dressman played over his head last night and would be more like what he had done in previous games. I know, I am assuming a lot. In any game where the turnovers are even, Beechwood would have to hit a couple big plays to get a win.

I couldn't disagree more with Mentsch and agree with VOR. Regardless of the size discrepncy, Beechwood has beaten CCH in the past. Menstch your acting like Beechwood has never had a shot at beating CCH and that they don't belong on the same field as CCH. Please refer to my post in the other thread about your men vs boys comment. Highlands dominants CCH every year...they are both 4A. CCH has clearly had the upper hand on Beechwood last 5 years, but what about the 5 years before that? Beechwood is a 1A school, who had 13 total seniors this year. CCH is a 4A school with 600 all male students. Obviously, there is going to be a size difference but to be honest after watching the game last night the reason CCH won and Beechwood lost was simply #9 Sam Dressman. You take Sam off that team CCH is in serious trouble. It just so happens Sam is 6'5'' over 200 lbs and will be playing D1 football. Kids like that aren't on every CCH team/Beechwood team.

Honestly, this seemed to be one of Beechwood's poorest performances all year besdies Dixie. But seemed to look better against Dixie in the first half and the wheels fell off the bus in the second. Also, sounds like this is the best perforamnces from both Dressman's all year which just so happen to be their two most important players on offense.

Every team that turns the ball over 4 times is going to see a large margin of defeat unless the other team turns it over as well. In this case Beechwood had 4 turnovers to CCH 1 turnover. CCH had a much easier time scoring against Beechwood however it wasn't like they were scoring on offense in 3 plays and then getting the ball right back. CCH was sustaining long drives that took time off the clock and converted on TD's, Beechwood didn't, and that is the difference. You get a score of 28 - 7 with a 3 turnover differential - this explains the margin of defeat more than to say they just got dominated.

Let's also keep in mind it wasn't like Beechwood simply couldn't move the ball. They took the opening drive about 40 to 50 yards no problem but turned it over. It's clear Beechwood's running game was nonexistent but honestly it wasn't any different in any other game compared to CCH. The running game improved a little against FC and Holmes but it wasn't like it was a huge improvement. Losing Thomas, a sr. RB, is a significant blow to Beechwood and makes a pretty big difference. Stringer is young and more of a 3rd down back/slot guy and studer has a knee injury but still playing. Feiger was able to complete passes against CCH D let's not forget that.

A new definition of flop:

2011 KY Football

Beechwood

Aug 26, 11 Simon Kenton at Dixie Heights 28 - 0 (W)

Sep 2, 11 Holmes away 21 - 13 (W)

Sep 8, 11 Holy Cross (Covington) home 69 - 26 (W) (This was the Holy Cross team that won the 2A title)

Sep 17, 11 Covington Catholic away 28 - 40 (L)

Sep 23, 11 Elizabethtown away 65 - 22 (W)

Sep 30, 11 Dixie Heights away 62 - 27 (W)

Oct 7, 11 Bellevue away 63 - 8 (W)

Oct 14, 11 Dayton home 63 - 0 (W)

Oct 21, 11 Ludlow home 61 - 13 (W)

Oct 28, 11 Newport Central Catholic home 29 - 20 (W)

Nov 4, 11 Paris home 60 - 7 (W)

Nov 11, 11 Ludlow home 56 - 0 (W)

Nov 18, 11 Frankfort away 51 - 19 (W)

Nov 25, 11 Mayfield away 14 - 19 (L)

ummm, I don't think any of those boys were happy with 12 -2. Best Team that never was!

Didnt read much of this thread but....

CCH dominated while missing their top athlete/QB and their top back AND a receiver who had a huge game against BW last year.

Injuries happen and in this case for both sides. So comparing what could of been doesn't mean much in my opinion. CCH missing QB, RB, and WR while BW is missing their starting RB and LB. Two of Beechwoods main issues are their running game and their LB's. They had to move Evert to LB who didn't play LB last year at all. Let's also keep in mind not all of CCH's players go both ways. So not only does Beechwood lose a starting RB but also a starting defensive back. Same with LB who was used on offensive as well. CCH is fortunate that older Dressman only plays offense.

I disagree with the dominated part. They sustained long drives that resulted in TD's while Beechwood didn't. It's tough to put points on the board when you turn it over and you aren't running as many offensive plays as the other team. Turnover differential was 3 possessions and technically beechwood lost by 3 possessions. Again it wasn't like BW couldn't move the ball against the Colonel D, I believe that is what everyone is failing to see despite the 4 turnovers.

I'll pose this question to you Clyde, if older Dressman "The Man amongst boys on both teams regardless" was on Beechwood you still think CCH, using your term "dominates" Beechwood? My point as a whole that CCH vs Beechwood isn't Men amongst boys, my point is there is ONE kid on CCH that dominated BW and it showed to be the difference in the ball game.

Didnt read much of this thread but....

CCH dominated while missing their top athlete/QB and their top back AND a receiver who had a huge game against BW last year.

and not listed by Clyde their best O-lineman, second best LB to add to that list and to top it off all seniors except for the QB. BTW in speaking of Beechwood QB and RB being 10th graders so were CovCath QB and RB that is 10th graders!

and not listed by Clyde their best O-lineman, second best LB to add to that list and to top it off all seniors except for the QB. BTW in speaking of Beechwood QB and RB being 10th graders so were CovCath QB and RB that is 10th graders!

When an injury for Bwood occurs to a player that starts both ways it's simply much more significant to their team than for CCH because majority of their players don't go both ways. Also, they don't have the depth of a 4A school to pick from, it's a numbers game.

As for the CCH QB Ben Dressman had a solid game, so there wasn't much of a drop off there. And I can assure you that when Sam Dressman runs the ball for CCH he's by far their best option at RB and by far their best option at WR.

When an injury for Bwood occurs to a player that starts both ways it's simply much more significant to their team than for CCH because majority of their players don't go both ways. Also, they don't have the depth of a 4A school to pick from, it's a numbers game.

As for the CCH QB Ben Dressman had a solid game, so there wasn't much of a drop off there. And I can assure you that whenSam Dressman runs the ball for CCH he's by far their best option at RB and by far their best option at WR.

Ben out rushed Sam 56-45 and Red Wags had 45 yards on just 3 carries.

You keep ignoring the first quarter. Pull up the first quarter stats and get back to me. My guess is Beechwood dominated the yardage numbers that quarter and fumbled on the 1 instead of getting a score to show for it. That game should have been 7-0 at the end of the first quarter with Beechwood looking like they were in control and headed toward an upset.

Second item, when you keep fumbling the ball away before you can even start a drive, you will always look dominated. Cov Cath scored 3 times after Beechwood fumbles.

No delusions here. Cov Cath controlled the line of scrimmage in this game. But I think if these two teams as is played 10 times, Beechwood would win 3.

VOR, I respect your opinion and you're typically one that tells it like it is, but, as far as your 2nd item above, it may be a little tinted with a red and white shade. CC's drives were 53 yards in 5 plays for approx. 11 yd per play average. The 2nd was 56 yards in 7 plays for approx. 8 yd per play average and the 3rd drive was 36 yds in 6 plays for 6 yd per play average. The 4th drive was 66 yds in 10 plays for approx. 7 yd per play average.

Only 1 of the 4 drives started on Beechwoods side of the field and they had to go 211 yds total and they did it in 25 plays, so, considering they averaged over 8 yards per play in those 4 drives, I think it's fair to say they were dominating the line of scrimmage and most likely would have scored even if they would have started all of them at there own 25 or 30.

I listened to part of the game and it sounded as if Beechwood moved the ball fairly well thru the air on there 1st couple of possessions. They did very little in the 2nd and 3rd qtrs. and then moved the ball pretty good in the 4th. When you play a team of that caliber, you have to play sound for 4 qtrs. or you're in trouble. The fumbles didn't help there cause that's for sure, but, it did sound like at least a couple of those were forced with good hits by the Colonels. It did sound like CC sort of just went thru the motions in the 2nd half after getting out to a 4 score lead. It also appeared to get a bit chippy in the 2nd half and that seemed to rattle the Colonels a bit.

I think the Tigers are capable of beating CC, but, to do so, they'd have to play an error free game and hope for key CC turnovers and them not being on there game. Maybe 1 out of 10 would be more realistic.

• 3 weeks later...